02-15-2013, 10:59 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Yesterday Tom (BladeDE40) showed us the fun that he had with his Frank Shaving synthetic brush. Coincidentally I finally took some much needed action on my own, of course my night of fun was brought on due to necessity, not curiosity. Here is a picture of what I started with several months ago.

[Image: 15wgf89.jpg]
This is an inexpensive 20mm silvertip brush that I actually enjoyed using. It was mainly used to bowl lather creams as the tall 55mm(ish) loft left it lacking much backbone. Slowly, as I transitioned to face lathering more and more, it saw less use. After sitting on my bathroom counter unused for several weeks I decided to bring it back into rotation. After its initial soak I proceeded to add some cream to my bowl and build lather. I started to hear little crackling sounds and before I knew it...

[Image: 5mcvpk.jpg]
I contacted the seller and he offered to fix it if I shipped it back to China. He also offered to reimburse me for the epoxy if I wanted to try and fix it myself. I politely declined both offers since I already had some suitable adhesive and I thought this could be a stepping stone into restoring brushes (with pictures from Rudy Vey and the like how could I not give it a shot?).

Because I own a Dremel and I felt the loft was too high I decided to try and modify the brush before proceeding with any glue action. The Frank Shaving handle is made of plastic and the grinding stone attachment that I chose actually caused melting as I attempted to lower the "shelf". The shelf is actually just a ridge in an otherwise hollow handle so I was getting pretty anxious at this time but I pushed on. I set the bit in the Dremel so that by the time the chuck was even with the top of the opening I would be at my pre-measured best guess at a loft that would be enjoyable for face lathering. After filling the base up to the new shelf level with my adhesive (Loctite All Purpose Waterproof Adhesive) I pushed the knot in until it arrived at its final resting place at 42mm of loft.

[Image: nf2w0m.jpg]
Here is the result sitting next to its English cousin.

[Image: 9iajgz.jpg]
Post-bloom

[Image: 2h6g6r5.jpg]
Post-bloom density shot (FS on right)

[Image: wqx27k.jpg]
Next to his long lost, overfed, cousin from Whipped Dog

I have only palm lathered this brush, but I get the impression that this modification will re-kindle our fire and my Frank Shaving brush will no longer be the victim of long periods of neglect.

Please excuse the poor picture, but my cell phone is all I had handy.

125 2,374
 02-15-2013, 11:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
If you facelather , you are going to enjoy that brush , Im telling you.
Thanks for the pics , and looking forward to read your further impressions once you try it.

86 7,123
 02-15-2013, 11:11 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Thanks T, it will be put to use over the weekend and I will definitely post an update.

125 2,374
 02-15-2013, 11:15 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Does that hair has the extra soft tips , almost "gel alike" ones? If thats the case , as I said , you are truly going to enjoy that brush for facelathering.

86 7,123
 02-15-2013, 11:36 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I don't recall that gel tip feeling from this brush. I have only experienced that sensation in my two Chinese 2-band brushes (Frank Shaving 26mm fan and Lijun 21mm bulb). Ironically when these 2-band brushes are dry the tips are very prickly and stiff but when they are wet the tips are luxurious.

125 2,374
 02-15-2013, 11:45 PM
User Info
Nicely done Dave! Looks like you did a great job salvaging the handle. Your new brush looks like it will feel pretty nice on the face. Glad to see others having fun with their Dremmel Biggrin.

5 938
 02-16-2013, 12:19 AM
User Info
The work you did really made a huge difference in the new lower loft, it should be a great facelatherer now. Very cool.

63 2,128
 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice job there Dave!
I have the newer FS Synthetics and the tips are quite soft ... great brushes for the price ... even better face-latherers at the new lower loft you have!

102 17,661
 02-16-2013, 10:36 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I face lathered XXX this morning and this brush is about as good as it gets for facefeel and agility. The brush feels as soft as the finest silk on the face and the backbone is darn near perfect. The less than perfect aspects of this brush are the handle still feels cheap and it isn't perfectly balanced lengthwise (a slightly shorter handle would feel more comfortable). However, it is still more than capable of holding its own in rotation and for the $20 and an hour or so that I have into it an all-out bargain. I will use this brush much more regularly that I did when it was at its original loft, though it probably won't work for bowl lathering anymore unless I find a really wide or shallow bowl but I'm ok with that.

125 2,374
 02-16-2013, 12:31 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-16-2013, 10:36 AM)blzrfn Wrote: I face lathered XXX this morning and this brush is about as good as it gets for facefeel and agility. The brush feels as soft as the finest silk on the face and the backbone is darn near perfect. The less than perfect aspects of this brush are the handle still feels cheap and it isn't perfectly balanced lengthwise (a slightly shorter handle would feel more comfortable). However, it is still more than capable of holding its own in rotation and for the $20 and an hour or so that I have into it an all-out bargain. I will use this brush much more regularly that I did when it was at its original loft, though it probably won't work for bowl lathering anymore unless I find a really wide or shallow bowl but I'm ok with that.

Yeah , I knew it was going to be good with a lower loft.Enjoy it.

86 7,123
 03-27-2013, 09:28 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
Well I couldn't stand to leave well enough alone. After using the shortened Frank's brush a few times I grew tired of the generic black handle and decided to do something about it. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.
Before:

After:

125 2,374
 03-28-2013, 05:58 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Ooh! Very nice ... much more distinctive now. Great restore!

102 17,661
 03-28-2013, 07:30 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
(03-28-2013, 05:58 AM)Agravic Wrote: Ooh! Very nice ... much more distinctive now. Great restore!

Thanks Ravi, it didn't turn out perfect, but it sure is good enough for me. I can't wait to use it tomorrow after the adhesive is done curing.

125 2,374
 03-28-2013, 08:13 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Classy. I like the looks of that much better than the original.

173 23,484
 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
That's a great handle. Nice work!

10 1,858