Poll: What kind of shaving soaps do you like?
I only use/like tallow based soap
I only use/like veggie based soap I dont care as long as they work I use both,but I like tallow based better I use both,but I like veggie based better.
 04-01-2012, 01:21 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Gentlemen:

After trying I dont even know how many shaving soaps,I found that I like the performance of some of the veggie based soaps better than the tallow based ones.

I have to be honest,I don't believe in "magical" ingredients,but I do believe in good ingredients formulations,both found in tallow based and veggie based shaving soaps.

Very true that some of the soaps that we can consider veggie based could contain tallow.For example,the Dr Selby shaving soap (cream according to them) contains Stearic Acid and I know from the guys who make this soap (Terry SL) that the Stearic Acid comes from tallow,so its not a veggie based soap.

The same happens with Pottasium and Sodium Sterates,which could come from a vegetal source (oils) or animal source (tallow).

For the ones that arent familar with these terms :

Any soap with a mix of ingredients including:
Potassium Stearate (soap made with Stearic Acid and Potassium Hydroxide)
Sodium stearate (soap made with Stearic Acid and Sodium Hydroxide)
Potassium Tallowate (soap made with tallow and Potassiun Hydroxide)
Sodium Tallowate (soap made with tallow and Sodium hyroxide)
Potassium/sodium Palmitate (soap made with Palm oil)
Potassium/sodium Cocoate (coconut oil)
Potassium/sodium olivate (olive oil)

So,sometimes we don't know if the "supposedly" shaving soap is 100% veggie based or not,but I give it the doubt to be 100% veggie based since I don't read "Potassium or Sodium Tallowate" in the ingredients list.

For some people,if the soap doesn't contains tallow,means that its a sub par product,not on the same league than tallow based soaps.

To me, veggie based soaps,if are well formulated with good quality ingredients (oils), could be as good or even better than any tallow soap,both vintage or in current production.I found this too many times,and my fav soaps are veggie based,like Martin de Candre,Pre de Provence,Provence Sante,L'occitane Cade,Geo F. Trumper,Edwin Jagger,La Toja...but I also enjoy some tallow based soaps like Mitchell's Wool Fat,Art of Shaving,Wilkinson stick or Dr Selby.

What about yours,do you prefer tallow based soaps,veggie based or dont care at all as long as the soap works?

86 7,123
 04-01-2012, 01:39 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
The closest to the truth for me is, "I use both, but I prefer tallow-based soaps."

Actually, the only soaps in my regular rotation are the Valobra Shave Stick, AoS, and Cella, which are all tallow-based.

In my experience, if a soap is tallow-based, chances are higher that I will like it. I believe that it is easier to produce a creamy, skin-friendly lather from one of these. Even so, there are also soaps of poor quality in this group.

I believe that it is possible to produce a good vegetable-based shaving soap, but I believe that it is more difficult to do. I think Istitut Karite and La Toja are excellent soaps, though I have problems with the fragrance in the latter. Martin de Candre is also one of the very best soaps out there, and if they offered a truly unscented version it would be one of my mainstays.

- Murray

4 1,150
 04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
I voted Tallow, only because I wasn't given the option for Lanolin as well. The point being, I don't like my veggies.Biggrin

2 546
 04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I really didn't care as much for veggie based soaps till I tried MdC. It truly is amazing

116 3,804
 04-01-2012, 04:17 PM
User Info
My two favorite soaps are Tabac and DR Harris Marlborough. Then come a slew of French and German soaps. So I prefer tallow not because of the ingredients but because my 2 favorites are Tallow.

I like palm based soaps too. IK, Dittmar and PdP all run a close third.

MWF is good and contains tallow, but it ranks below the 3 above. Not because of performance but scent.

So basically I like soap and I like good soap that smells nice.

2 697
 04-01-2012, 04:51 PM
User Info
There are great formulations & horrible formulations for both. Take advantage of wonderful reviews from our members & you'll have a solid idea of which ones to try.

My top tallow is MWF
My top veggie is harder to determine but my favorites are De Vergulde Hand, RazoRock XXX, Provence Sante, & Cade.

31 7,912
 04-01-2012, 04:55 PM
User Info
I can't think of a veggie that I have ever gotten a GREAT lather from. I like soaps that almost lather themselves. I have a long list of tallow soaps that explode with lather when I use any of my brushes.

5 413
 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM
User Info
My favorite soaps are Mike's Natural and Kell's Original, the former tallow based and the latter glycerine based. Prairie Creations soap, alas no longer made, was tallow-based and also right up there at the top.

0 303
 04-01-2012, 05:16 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 04:55 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: I can't think of a veggie that I have ever gotten a GREAT lather from. I like soaps that almost lather themselves. I have a long list of tallow soaps that explode with lather when I use any of my brushes.
De Vergulde Hand & RazoRock XXX both will meet your criteria.

31 7,912
 04-01-2012, 05:20 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-01-2012, 05:02 PM)Tbone Wrote: My favorite soaps are Mike's Natural and Kell's Original, the former tallow based and the latter glycerine based. Prairie Creations soap, alas no longer made, was tallow-based and also right up there at the top.

Kells original are brilliant melt and pour shaving soaps.I do really like them a lot.

86 7,123
 04-01-2012, 05:36 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 05:02 PM)Tbone Wrote: My favorite soaps are Mike's Natural and Kell's Original, the former tallow based and the latter glycerine based. Prairie Creations soap, alas no longer made, was tallow-based and also right up there at the top.

Krissy (Prairie Creations) had some really nice tallow soaps. Some of her personal stash was actually harvested by herself. IIRC

2 546
 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
User Info
Cella, MWF, Arko, Palmolive, Wilkinson Sword, and Speick are all tallow based and give a tremendous lather. VDH Deluxe and Glycerin, Provence Sante Verlain, La Toja, and any of the Conk soaps are veggie and also give a good lather.

0 372
 04-01-2012, 06:51 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 04:55 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: I can't think of a veggie that I have ever gotten a GREAT lather from. I like soaps that almost lather themselves. I have a long list of tallow soaps that explode with lather when I use any of my brushes.

Kris, you should try MdC to see what kind of lather it can produce with 5 second swirl on the soap.
Cheers

75 20,883
 04-01-2012, 07:07 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 06:51 PM)celestino Wrote:

Kris, you should try MdC to see what kind of lather it can produce with 5 second swirl on the soap.
Cheers

What is MdC?

5 413
 04-01-2012, 07:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:07 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 06:51 PM)celestino Wrote:

Cheers

What is MdC?

Martin de Candre,the Holy Grial of shaving soaps...Rolleyes

86 7,123
 04-01-2012, 07:14 PM
  • Brent
  • Columbus, OH
User Info
I've had good results from either.

0 353
 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:08 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:07 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 06:51 PM)celestino Wrote: Kris, you should try MdC to see what kind of lather it can produce with 5 second swirl on the soap.
Cheers

What is MdC?

Where to buy? Anywhere in the USA?

5 413
 04-01-2012, 07:36 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
I enjoy both and have favorites among both. All soaps have some differences in the technique required to get the best lather. These differences aren't a deterrent to enjoying the huge variety of great products available but are part of the fun of experimenting with new brands.

0 56
 04-01-2012, 07:45 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
(04-01-2012, 05:02 PM)Tbone Wrote: Prairie Creations soap, alas no longer made,

Really? I put my tub of PC to the back of the shelf long ago. Does that mean its become a collectors item?

47 1,375
 04-01-2012, 08:08 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:24 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:08 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(04-01-2012, 07:07 PM)Krisbarger Wrote: What is MdC?

Where to buy? Anywhere in the USA?
No,only in France...

86 7,123