02-16-2013, 10:56 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
[Image: P1260622.JPG?m=1361039180]

Another creation of the WSP brand , this time using their premium silvertip hair instead of the superfine 2 band or the High Mountain White badger hair and the same handle than the Monarch series , the Kent BK4 style.Actually this brush is what many of us will like the Kent BK4 to be , with the right amount of backbone and flow (the BK4 is very soft , on the floppy side brush for me) so it can be used perfectly fine with both triple milled soaps and shaving creams.

[Image: P1260623.JPG?m=1361039180]

This brush has the following measures :
  • 23 mm knot
  • 50 mm loft
  • 100 mm total height.

which makes it a medium , on basically , the big side , shaving brush.

As I said before , this brush has a knot with the premium silvertip hair , very well packed of hair , and with a loft of 50 mm , to improve its backbone (make it more firm) while keeping the natural flexibility of this kind of badger hair.By doing so , the brush contains the right amount (for my particular taste) of backbone and flow , like my most beloved Rooney silvertip 1/1.

[Image: P1260625.JPG?m=1361039180]

This premium silvertip hair has extra soft tips as well as very white , like the superfine 2 band , but with a different "feeling" : the premium are more "velvety" while the superfine has some "gel alike" feel , even when their tips aren't curled , like some two band badger hair.If you ask me regarding the HMW and the premium silvertip , the HMW is as soft as the premium silvertip , maybe with a tiny little bit more of scrub , but basically very hard to distinguished.

This knot also is very well packed with badger hair , like , as I said , my beloved Rooney 1/1 :

[Image: P1260626.JPG?m=1361039180]

The handle couldn't be more classic , with the Kent BK series style , made of resin and with a good heft.I know that some guys have reported that the handle is quiet small for their hands , or not very comfortable to hold while using it , but for my medium size hands , its a comfortable enough handle.

Here a pic with the Monarch in HMW (on the left) :

[Image: P1260627.JPG?m=1361039181]

While the Monarch in HMW is more of a versatile brush (could be used with bowl and face lathering) I feel that this brush , as the Prince in silvertip , is more of a face lathering brush.Its behaviour is very similar to the Rooney 1/1 in silvertip , due to the hair density of the knot , its measures , soft tips , right amount of flow and backbone , so if you already have tried a Rooney 1/1 you know what Im talking about.Actually is not very different than the Prince in silvertip , but this one has (again) slightly soft tips and a little bite more white (this is why it gets the "premium" grade , I guess).

Unlike a Kent BK4 , this brush loads triple milled shaving soaps very easy and quick , and doesn't feel like a mop on the face while lathering with it.The knot also doesn't have a strong blooming , so you can "control" where to put the lather on it.I truly like that.With shaving creams also performs very well , but again , I feel that this brush is more suited for triple milled soaps/sticks and facelathering. It truly feels good on the face , no scratchiness or scritchiness of any type , just soft tips and the feel that you are using a know with plenty of badger hair on it.

Its price is 74,99 dollars , basically the same price of the great Rooney 1/1 in super silvertip.

86 7,124
 02-16-2013, 12:19 PM
User Info
Teiste, another informative review! The brush looks great!

75 20,883
 02-16-2013, 12:58 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review. I like the shorter loft of the brush.

45 3,955
 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
(02-16-2013, 10:56 AM)Teiste Wrote: like my most beloved Rooney silvertip 1/1.

Is this the Rooney Style 1 Size 1 (Small) in super silvertip you are referring to?

7 858
 02-16-2013, 01:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-16-2013, 01:07 PM)Striky Wrote:
(02-16-2013, 10:56 AM)Teiste Wrote: like my most beloved Rooney silvertip 1/1.

Is this the Rooney Style 1 Size 1 (Small) in super silvertip you are referring to?

Yes , thats right , these Rooney's : http://www.vintagebladesllc.com/vshop/xc...hp?cat=153 I have two under T&H name (black and white handles).Looking forward to get a T&H 1/2 in horn handle.I missed a great chance a couple months ago and now are out of stock.
However , WSP got me some handles with the same style , 1/2 and silvertip hair with are excellent too.

86 7,124
 02-17-2013, 12:48 AM
User Info
Teiste, great review of the new Monarch premium silvertip. It seems to be a really nice brush.

63 2,128
 02-17-2013, 05:33 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Nice review and pictures. I have the Prince which is also an excellent brush. Great prices for quality.

100 12,450