02-16-2013, 03:54 PM
User Info

Well I guess I'm late to the party since this stuff seems to have been around a little while.

I just received and used for the first time this product. And I have to give a great big thumbs up!

First of all this is the Hard version of this soap and I prefer hard to soft. The puck while being hard seems kind of light and airy like dried fluff. An interesting and new to me type of soap. For me soaps are either Tallow or they are not Tallow. That being said this one and MdC punch above their non tallow status in my den. Great lather with moisturizing and conditioning properties. That's my biggest knock on non tallow soaps is they don't soften my beard while face lathering like tallow soaps do. Maybe I have odd hair? But this one does soften my beard and the razor passes through the stubble without hindrance.

Now the scent! This one though labeled Intenso, Is just perfect for me. Not a kick in the teeth amount of scent like Klar Kabinett. And this one tells the truth about the scent. It IS GREEN TOBACCO. and it is the green tobacco scent that I have experienced so many countless early august mornings while dropping Tobacco sticks between the rows of Burley. Lugging 75lbs of oak sticks through broad tobacco leaves that have a quarter inch of dew on them and that aroma is the only thing you can smell till the sun burns the dew off.

I would have never thought of using this scent because to me it means something different than what a soap maker would think of. That being said it is certainly a pleasant low back of the throat peppery scent that stays close to you and doesn't reach out and smack the people around you in the face.

It also doesn't seem to take a lot of product to get the job done. It lathered just as easily with my 2band finest TGN knot as id did with my Vulfix Mixed Badger Boar Knot.

So for me after just a couple of uses, It has climbed way up my personal list. I'd say for me about as good as MdC (I only have the unscented)or my vintage Penhaligons or Vintage Floris. Scent wise I put it ahead of about anything I have but that could well be my own association with the smell.

6 1,224
 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM
User Info
Very nice write up, thank you. I've been considering their hard soap and it sounds like it's great stuff.

-Moe

24 212
 02-16-2013, 06:36 PM
User Info
I started with Zi Peppino but snagged a puck of this when the Enabler got it. It's a terrific soap with a scent that I find refreshing.

15 762
 02-16-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
I agree with you completely. I've only used the soft soap version branded La Famiglia from RazoRock. Until I bought MdC this was my favorite soap along with P.160. Now MdC is my favorite w/ P.160 & TFS/LaFam soaps in second.

All 3 of these soaps are super easy to load & lather (UltraLather even) & lead to the best shaves I ever get. Amazing density, glide, cushion, & post shave skincare. TFS/LaFam soaps are priced too good for anyone not to give them a try.

Great review & thanks for sharing with us.

31 7,914
 02-17-2013, 09:31 AM
User Info
Have the Bergomatte (sp?) which this thread inspired me to try again this morning. Excellent lather, but not overly fond of the scent myself. Thinking about one of the new PannaCrema offerings, and hoping it will lather as well and smell a bit better to me.

3 543
 02-18-2013, 11:12 AM
User Info
Hi Eric,

Thanks for the great review. What a great compliment for TFS that you appreciate the scent as a real connaisseur of the scent!

The party continues!

Great description!

Bye,

Eric

0 224
 02-18-2013, 12:19 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
Very nice write-up I have a sample TSF really enjoy. I was impressed with the soap. Looking to add TSF puck to my line-up the Green Tobacco would be a good choice.

1 3,507
 02-18-2013, 12:52 PM
User Info
Thank you everyone! I've been lathering my Semogue SOC boar brush with this to break it in and make it(and the den) smell good.

I keep liking it more and more!

6 1,224
 02-18-2013, 01:01 PM
User Info
I am curious Eric if you think that by using it more, it seems that there is more scent released than when you just started it.

Bye,

Eric

0 224
 02-18-2013, 01:18 PM
User Info
(02-18-2013, 01:01 PM)Barbieredfigaro Wrote: I am curious Eric if you think that by using it more, it seems that there is more scent released than when you just started it.

Bye,

Eric

I would say yes. When loading the brush it gives off more scent than when it's dry. When it's dry I have to hold it up to my nose to get a strong whiff of scent. But when wet and on my face it's very very pleasant!
It also stays on my face for a few hours after I shave. It's light and doesn't project far but it's there. Really goes nicely with Alt Innsbruck. Adds a nice low pungent(a nice pungent) background under the flowery aroma.

6 1,224