04-01-2012, 03:34 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I'm starting to re-think and simplify both my razors and blades. Up until I acquired a Gillette Sheraton, I'd always been about aggression. I thought I needed that along with the sharpest blades to take care of my coarse rough beard. Since beginning DE shaving last June, I've probably tried at least 150 razors and have held on to just a few. I bought both a Mariner and another R41 in the last few weeks and honestly, they're far too aggressive for me now. I decided to test my theory further this evening. I won an auction for my birth year razor, a 1973 T4 SuperSpeed. I loaded it up with a blade that I once wrote off as being too mild and scratchy, an Astra SP. I had a great shave with no irritation and almost BBS. I guess my question for the fellas that have been doing this far longer than I have is if my technique has improved that much? Don't get me wrong, I still appreciate a great shave with a Gillette Old Type, but it's no longer about the aggressiveness. I've given up Feathers permanently, but will still hold onto Yellows and Med Preps.

116 3,804
 04-01-2012, 03:57 PM
User Info
Dave, I'm far from someone who's been at it longer than you (a few months longer only) but there is definitely a place for less aggressive razors. I value my newest SS for those days when I just want to, figuratively anyway, just kick my feet up and take a break when shaving. A steady diet of razors with raw aggression would get old in time I suspect. Personally I like a change of pace once in a while.

32 6,308
 04-01-2012, 04:04 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I suspect just like most things in life, you go for the extreme first, then settle back around the middle. I'm most happy in the middle I think.

116 3,804
 04-01-2012, 04:14 PM
User Info
Dave, I wouldn't simply give up any of it. An 'old type' and Feather were used tonight. I will admit that on occasion I'll pull out my Mergress, dialed down with a SI.

Some don't need a sharp blade and aggressive razor for that nice close shave. If I went that road, I may as well use my Braun.

2 546
 04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Oh I'm not giving anything up (short of Feathers, I find I just prefer Med Preps and Yellows).

116 3,804
 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM
User Info
This whole experience is a journey to find what we like best. That "best" is not written in stone so I completely understand what you're saying Dave. Just kick back & enjoy the traditional ride!

31 7,912
 04-01-2012, 05:33 PM
User Info
For me, my shaving technique has improved with the years, but my soap selection and lather making are what have really opened doors for me. I can only imagine the laughs I'd get at my early attempts at lather. Consequently, "mild" razors were giving me rough shaves. The idea of a slant bar or an open comb were hair raising to me. Now that I can get a good protecting lather I've opened the door to just about every variety of razor out there...except the newest version of the R41. No thanks on that one Confused

0 221
 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM
User Info
It all boils down to technique. If you can make good lather and have good familiarity with shaving you really can shave with almost any gear and get good results. I think that they search for equipment that will somehow compensate for technique.

After some time they find a specific blade, razor, soap or brush that makes their shaves better, not realizing it was those numerous shaves in between that gradually improved their technique, that produced the results. Instead of giving themselves a congratulatory slap on the back for their own skill improvement, they attribute it to the new hardware. YMMV

2 697
 04-01-2012, 06:53 PM
User Info
If you get a great shave with no irritation and almost BBS, then it means you have both good technique and a razor/blade combination that suits you well. Based on my own experience and the recollections of others I read, technique seems to improve significantly for most over the first 3-6 months. All that is left is to find the optimal razor, blades and shaving cream/soap. Once those basics are down everything else is icing on the cake.

0 303
 04-01-2012, 07:40 PM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
Sorry.

I can't contribute to your thread. I got stuck when I read that you've "tried 150 razors."

OMG!

47 1,375
 04-01-2012, 08:12 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:40 PM)MaxP Wrote: Sorry.

I can't contribute to your thread. I got stuck when I read that you've "tried 150 razors."

OMG!

That is quite a few. I could probably only name 50 or so

9 541
 04-01-2012, 09:08 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
The really aggressive razors just aren't fun for me. My sensitive skin and bump prone neck just didn't like it one bit. I have re-visitid blades that ate me up early (Feathers) and they are now quite palatable. My technique has vastly improved, but still of course has room for improvement. Middle of the road is great for me as well- aggressive enough not to bear down a bit, yet efficient enough to cut my tough whiskers. I run into trouble with the mild razors-Techs, later SuperSpeeds, and open comb razors that have the blade sitting directly on the combs. I tend to try to over compensate for the mildness by digging in a bit, which in turn leads to irritation. I'm T3, I win.

135 1,941
 04-02-2012, 02:29 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:40 PM)MaxP Wrote: Sorry.

OMG!

I tried to write them all down the other day and couldn't remember them all. That counts straights, SE's, DE's and all. I'm down to a manageable amount now.

116 3,804
 04-02-2012, 05:38 AM
User Info
I've used agressive razors like the Slant, and the R41, but when it comes down to it I can get just as close and smooth a shave with my EJ DE86 and I don't have to worry about nicking myself, or suffering razor burn.

Clayton

6 617
 04-02-2012, 11:36 AM
User Info
I've been doing this recently too. I was fully on-board with the R41 and/or the slant and the attention they need. However, I decided to revert back to my 38c and, while I'm not getting super-close shaves, it makes it a nice, easy-going shave.

I used to surf a lot, and I view it as short-board vs. long-board surfing. Short-board can be exhilarating, but you're so close to wiping out, whereas long-board is a nice, smooth ride in.

72 1,405
 04-02-2012, 12:09 PM
  • Sargon
  • St. Louis, Missouri
User Info
Why choose just one? When I use fixed razors, I tend to have a medium to high aggression razor for the first 2 passes, then use a very mild one like a 40s Superspeed for the last pass or two, usually with a feather or similarly sharp blade in it, of course.

1 189
 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I gave it another test this morning by shaving with my 1973 Tech with a 3rd use Astra. It wasn't as comfortable or effective as my SS, but it was a good shave nonetheless. I've honestly never gotten a good shave with an EJDE89, so I might need to try that again as well.

116 3,804
 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM
User Info
Dave,
i completely agree with you. Your technique is probably very good by now and you could probably shave with any DE.
The only issue i have is that with my coarse beard that i need more passes to get a close enough shave that i do not develop 5 o'clock shadow which does happen when i use a mild razor. i think i have my technique down with my Cobra to get those close shaves without the irritation, now.
However, i still enjoy the different razors that i have.
Long live the shaves!

75 20,883
 04-04-2012, 08:09 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I bought a Big Fellow off another member and had one of the best shaves I've ever had with it this morning. My shave is much closer and my face is much smoother with this razor than anything else I've tried. It's just classy!!

116 3,804