02-17-2013, 11:52 AM
User Info
Does anybody know what handled will fit the Gillette NEW heads (both SC and LC)? The NEW SC is one of my favorite heads but I hate the handle (i.e., too light). I tried several handles, including the handle of the EJ 89, the handle of the Muhle R41, and the Weber bulldog handle. However, due to the shape of the underside of the bottom plate of the NEW head (both LC and SC), these handles do not fit well. The top of the handles is just a bit too wide.

I thought that maybe the handle of the Sabi T2 and/or the handle of the Matador Toro Mastiff razor (the razors look identical, but I am not sure if they really are the same) will fit. Or maybe the iKon bulldog handle? Does anybody have any of these handles and knows the answer? Does any other handle fit?

Thanks!

3 17
 02-17-2013, 12:01 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I fit my Gillette New Long Comb to my UFO Goliath Handle. They look great together and it makes a really nice shaver. In fact, I bought that head specifically to go with that handle.

45 3,955
 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 12:01 PM)tgutc Wrote: I fit my Gillette New Long Comb to my UFO Goliath Handle. They look great together and it makes a really nice shaver. In fact, I bought that head specifically to go with that handle.

Thanks Travis!

I really like the looks of the UFO handles, especially the short-version of the Kaiser. I am sure they are high quality. Although I find the handles a bit pricey, I may have to get one, especially if they fit the NEW head.

BTW, I love the NEW Improved head (from the Gillette Tuckaway I bought from you). It fits the Weber bulldog, which is my favorite handle, and gives me an excellent shave. Thanks again!

3 17
 02-17-2013, 11:58 PM
User Info
All these handles are most likely to fit, since they do fit the FaTip.....

1) Tradere ( head 4.80, WT 66 gm)
2) Edwin Jagger DE89 ( threads 4.89mm)- whole razor Weight = 76g
3) Gillette Fat Tech handle
4) Gillette New Comb- Gillette Bar Handle/SC New =WT 20.4/ - Gillette Ball Handle /LC New = WT 24.7
5) Weber Bulldog (needs 2 extra turns for fit), 2.4 ounces / 3 inch long /
6) Weber Classic- wt 58 gms ........3-7/8" in length (9.8 cm)
6) Weber 'New' Classic -wt 76 gms
7) Ikon Bulldog,
8) Ikon OSS [head 4.85- wt 100 gms - 95mm long - 12.25mm diameter] (works but is loose until the final turn) ,
9) UFO Kaiser (polished SS, 100mm lg, 13mm diameter, 91 grams wt)
10) Mariner long handle razor weighs in at 2.4 oz . The handle is 3" long.

11) R41 Grande handle ( whole razor WT 35.5)
12) Bob Razor Works Deluxe XL,
13) Feather AS. ( whole razor Wt 90 gms / 3 1/2 in long)
14) UFO-Godzilla (316L Stainless Steel. 85 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. 103 gr weight.
Thread is M5x0.8.The neck ends to 8.5 mm)
15) UFO Goliath XL- 316L Stainless Steel. 100 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. 123 gr weight./Red Bronze. 100 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. ??? gr weight (pending)./Thread is M5x0.8. 16) Heavy Duty Premium Barber-pole handle (89 gm).
17) lord 16
18) LC ball end gold plated (GB)
18) Gillette Old OC ball end silver plated (US),
19) Gillette Old OC short travel handle (US),

20) Gillette Tech slim handle (fat alike) (GB),
21) Gillette Tech straight aluminum,
22) Mercur 985CL (2 piece travel handle),

23) Parker 98R ( 4" handle and weighs 3 oz. whole razor wt)

24) Parker 91r (handle length 99mm, weight 80g (head+handle)
25) Parker 48R (handle length 91 mm, weight 96g (head+handle)
26) BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe XL- (93 grams/ 96mm long, 13mm diameter on the main handle and 15mm diameter on the magnetic knob on the end.)
27) UFO Goliath - 316L Stainless Steel. 85 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber./ 103 gr weight.Red Bronze. 85 mm long./ 15/15 mm caliber./ 115 gr weight/Thread is M5x0.8

28) Gillette 7'oclock (GB)
29) Gillette New OC LC ball end gold plated (GB)

30) Gillette New OC LC ball end Sheffield/Laurel (GB)
31) Gillette Old OC ball end silver plated (US)
32) Gillette Old OC short travel handle (US)
33) Gillette Tech fat handle (GB)
34) Gillette Tech slim handle (fat alike) (GB)
35) Gillette Tech straight aluminum
36) iKon Bulldog handle
37) Lord L6
38) ATT/Atlas handle- Whole razor weighs in at 95 grams, total length is 3 1/4" while the handle is 3" long, 303 Stainless steel
39)Parker 98R Heavy Duty Premium Barber-pole Whole razor Length: 10.8 cm Weight: 121g
40)Sabi fat handle - 3 1/4 in long, wt 2.5 oz

41) GS1 - 3 1/2 inches long, 1/2 inch in diameter and weighs in at 80 grams. Where the handle meets the head is 8.5mm and should fit most razor heads as the threads are M5x0.8

0 606
 02-18-2013, 10:03 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Nice list Alex.

14 870
 02-18-2013, 01:19 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Yes, thanks for putting that together, Alex!

35 2,703
 02-18-2013, 09:12 PM
User Info
Thanks Alex, nice list. However, have you verified the list? For instance, I know that some of the handles on the list do not fit (see my original post). Specifically, the handle of the EJ DE89, the handle of the Muhle R41, and the Weber bulldog handle do not fit the NEW heads. The problem is the diameter of the top part of these handles; the very top of the threaded part. The underside of the bottom plate of the FaTip head is flat. Thus, all handles with the proper thread will fit (assuming the screw of the bottom plate is not too long, as it is with some Cadet 3-piece razors and their cousins). However, the underside of the bottom plate of the NEW heads is not flat. Thus, the diameter of of the top of the handle is important to ensure a "snug fit." The diameter of the top part/screw part of several handles on your list is too wide, I think.

From what I know, the following handles will fit (they have a narrow top part of the handle):
- Ball-end handle (of older Gillette models such as the old-type OC)
- The thicker bar handle
- The original BRW Mastiff handles
- The UFO handles (see reply from tgutc)
- The GS1 should fit (from your list)

I have no idea about other handles. I hope that someone can tell me if other handles will fit, such as the handles from the Sabi T2 and/or the Matador Toro Mastiff; or the new iKon bulldog handle. Or any other handle.

Thanks!

(02-17-2013, 11:58 PM)alex2363 Wrote: All these handles are most likely to fit, since they do fit the FaTip.....

1) Tradere ( head 4.80, WT 66 gm)
2) Edwin Jagger DE89 ( threads 4.89mm)- whole razor Weight = 76g
3) Gillette Fat Tech handle
4) Gillette New Comb- Gillette Bar Handle/SC New =WT 20.4/ - Gillette Ball Handle /LC New = WT 24.7
5) Weber Bulldog (needs 2 extra turns for fit), 2.4 ounces / 3 inch long /
6) Weber Classic- wt 58 gms ........3-7/8" in length (9.8 cm)
6) Weber 'New' Classic -wt 76 gms
7) Ikon Bulldog,
8) Ikon OSS [head 4.85- wt 100 gms - 95mm long - 12.25mm diameter] (works but is loose until the final turn) ,
9) UFO Kaiser (polished SS, 100mm lg, 13mm diameter, 91 grams wt)
10) Mariner long handle razor weighs in at 2.4 oz . The handle is 3" long.

11) R41 Grande handle ( whole razor WT 35.5)
12) Bob Razor Works Deluxe XL,
13) Feather AS. ( whole razor Wt 90 gms / 3 1/2 in long)
14) UFO-Godzilla (316L Stainless Steel. 85 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. 103 gr weight.
Thread is M5x0.8.The neck ends to 8.5 mm)
15) UFO Goliath XL- 316L Stainless Steel. 100 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. 123 gr weight./Red Bronze. 100 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber. ??? gr weight (pending)./Thread is M5x0.8. 16) Heavy Duty Premium Barber-pole handle (89 gm).
17) lord 16
18) LC ball end gold plated (GB)
18) Gillette Old OC ball end silver plated (US),
19) Gillette Old OC short travel handle (US),

20) Gillette Tech slim handle (fat alike) (GB),
21) Gillette Tech straight aluminum,
22) Mercur 985CL (2 piece travel handle),

23) Parker 98R ( 4" handle and weighs 3 oz. whole razor wt)

24) Parker 91r (handle length 99mm, weight 80g (head+handle)
25) Parker 48R (handle length 91 mm, weight 96g (head+handle)
26) BRW Bull Mastiff Deluxe XL- (93 grams/ 96mm long, 13mm diameter on the main handle and 15mm diameter on the magnetic knob on the end.)
27) UFO Goliath - 316L Stainless Steel. 85 mm long. 15/15 mm caliber./ 103 gr weight.Red Bronze. 85 mm long./ 15/15 mm caliber./ 115 gr weight/Thread is M5x0.8

28) Gillette 7'oclock (GB)
29) Gillette New OC LC ball end gold plated (GB)

30) Gillette New OC LC ball end Sheffield/Laurel (GB)
31) Gillette Old OC ball end silver plated (US)
32) Gillette Old OC short travel handle (US)
33) Gillette Tech fat handle (GB)
34) Gillette Tech slim handle (fat alike) (GB)
35) Gillette Tech straight aluminum
36) iKon Bulldog handle
37) Lord L6
38) ATT/Atlas handle- Whole razor weighs in at 95 grams, total length is 3 1/4" while the handle is 3" long, 303 Stainless steel
39)Parker 98R Heavy Duty Premium Barber-pole Whole razor Length: 10.8 cm Weight: 121g
40)Sabi fat handle - 3 1/4 in long, wt 2.5 oz

41) GS1 - 3 1/2 inches long, 1/2 inch in diameter and weighs in at 80 grams. Where the handle meets the head is 8.5mm and should fit most razor heads as the threads are M5x0.8

3 17
 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM
User Info
Received the Matador Toro Mastiff razor from razorbladesandmore.com. Very fast shipping and beautiful handle! Anyways, the handle fits the NEW heads. :-)

For those who are interested: In addition to the original Gillette handles, these will fit:
- The original BRW Mastiff handles
- The UFO handles
- The handle of the Matador Toro Mastiff razor
- The Griest NEW Fat Handle

Handles that do not fit include:
- The handle of the EJ89
- The handle of the Muhle R89 and R41
- The Weber bulldog handle
- The iKon bulldog handle

3 17
 02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-17-2013, 12:58 PM)hobbes Wrote: ... snipped for brevity ...

BTW, I love the NEW Improved head (from the Gillette Tuckaway I bought from you). It fits the Weber bulldog, which is my favorite handle, and gives me an excellent shave. Thanks again!

If you have a Weber Bulldog handle, it can be ground to fit the Gillette New heads with the ridge on the bottom. I did this to my Ikon Bulldog handle and it works beautifully. This does not take any functionality away from the handle and it will still work with whatever razors it worked with before. PM me about it if you'd like. I can do it for you if you do not have the wherewithal to do it yourself or will guide you if you do.

25 1,705
 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM
User Info
(02-27-2013, 09:15 AM)vferdman Wrote:

If you have a Weber Bulldog handle, it can be ground to fit the Gillette New heads with the ridge on the bottom. I did this to my Ikon Bulldog handle and it works beautifully. This does not take any functionality away from the handle and it will still work with whatever razors it worked with before. PM me about it if you'd like. I can do it for you if you do not have the wherewithal to do it yourself or will guide you if you do.

That looks very interesting. Great job. Thanks! I have a Weber Bulldog that is paired with a New Improved head. But I am looking for a second. If I get one, I would gladly accept your offer and send you the handle for the "fix" (I do not have the tools). Thanks!

3 17
 03-04-2013, 05:08 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(03-04-2013, 04:00 PM)hobbes Wrote:
(02-27-2013, 09:15 AM)vferdman Wrote:

That looks very interesting. Great job. Thanks! I have a Weber Bulldog that is paired with a New Improved head. But I am looking for a second. If I get one, I would gladly accept your offer and send you the handle for the "fix" (I do not have the tools). Thanks!

Sounds good. It's not difficult to do. I'll be happy to help you out. They really work amazingly well. New LC is my favorite of all the Gillette OC razors. I have tried them all at this point. Old type and New SC are not for me. Ne LC and New Improved are simply awesome. I am still on the fence as to how much I like the NI as much as I like the New LC, but the NI I have is a Big Fellow/Big Boy type with long heavy handle, which is absolutely wonderful and is equivalent to a bulldog handle. I just had my first shave today with the Big Fellow NI today. Great shave, but I think New LC has a better feel and better audio feedback. This is based on one shave with NI and many shaves with New LC.

25 1,705
 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM
User Info
(03-04-2013, 05:08 PM)vferdman Wrote: Sounds good. It's not difficult to do. I'll be happy to help you out. They really work amazingly well. New LC is my favorite of all the Gillette OC razors. I have tried them all at this point. Old type and New SC are not for me. Ne LC and New Improved are simply awesome. I am still on the fence as to how much I like the NI as much as I like the New LC, but the NI I have is a Big Fellow/Big Boy type with long heavy handle, which is absolutely wonderful and is equivalent to a bulldog handle. I just had my first shave today with the Big Fellow NI today. Great shave, but I think New LC has a better feel and better audio feedback. This is based on one shave with NI and many shaves with New LC.

Thanks again. I just have to find a bulldog handle in the B/S/T. I agree, the NI heads are wonderful. I also like the NEW SC head. For the past week, I shaved with the NEW SC on the Matador Toro Mastiff handle. Nice handle, but not a bulldog handle. By the end of this week, I will try the NEW LC for a week or so. I'll see how that goes.

3 17
 03-05-2013, 06:47 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(03-05-2013, 03:23 PM)hobbes Wrote: Thanks again. I just have to find a bulldog handle in the B/S/T. I agree, the NI heads are wonderful. I also like the NEW SC head. For the past week, I shaved with the NEW SC on the Matador Toro Mastiff handle. Nice handle, but not a bulldog handle. By the end of this week, I will try the NEW LC for a week or so. I'll see how that goes.

I now had a few shaves with the NI (Big Fellow) and I am beginning to think that it may not be for me. It has very little feedback. Seems like you are just not doing anything, but it's very efficient at the same time. So I end up with more irritation than razors that give me more sound and also where I can actually feel the blade. New LC seems to be the perfect vintage OC Gillette for me so far. I really do not care for the New SC because it is just too mild and I end up using more pressure and again, end up with more irritation and not as close a shave as New LC or NI (NI does provide a remarkable close shave). New LC has much more blade exposure than either NI or New SC and I can actually feel the blade edge on my skin. For me that makes for a good feeling razor. I can actually use just the right amount of pressure and also I can hear the razor cutting. With NI I do not feel the blade at all, which may be great for some, but for me it causes me to cut deeper into the skin and irritate myself. I realize this is purely a technique issue. I will stick with the NI for a few more shaves to see if I can tame it with a different technique. I like to have some sort of feedback to let me know what is going on, though and NI just lacks that. I also have been enjoying the RazoRock/Cadet/Matador OC head on top of the Ikon bulldog handle. Talk about feedback! It's like New LC with even more blade exposure. Paradoxically, I get a very close and very comfortable shave with that also. I guess I like the feel of the blade edge on my skin. That way I know exactly where the blade is.

Anyway, if you want that bulldog tapered I will be happy to do it for you. It's not very difficult with a drill press. Nice thing about the NI is they don't have that ridge on the bottom of the plate, so any handle just fits.

Enjoy your shaves!

25 1,705
 03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 06:47 PM)vferdman Wrote: [... ] I guess I like the feel of the blade edge on my skin. That way I know exactly where the blade is.

Anyway, if you want that bulldog tapered I will be happy to do it for you. It's not very difficult with a drill press. Nice thing about the NI is they don't have that ridge on the bottom of the plate, so any handle just fits.

Enjoy your shaves!

I agree with the above! I also think that a larger blade exposure makes it easier to for me find the "best" angle for the razor, which, for me, results in an easier and more effective/efficient shave.

Also, I just purchased another Weber bulldog handle. I'll send you a pm.

Thanks!

3 17
 03-19-2013, 11:14 PM
User Info
I have a Polish stainless steel Lux handle that fits a NEW head. Nothing fancy but nicely knurled, 3" long and 38 grams. For around $3 it works.

http://www.bruceonshaving.com/tag/lux-razor/

0 52
 03-21-2013, 10:09 PM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 11:52 AM)hobbes Wrote: Does anybody know what handled will fit the Gillette NEW heads (both SC and LC)? The NEW SC is one of my favorite heads but I hate the handle (i.e., too light). I tried several handles, including the handle of the EJ 89, the handle of the Muhle R41, and the Weber bulldog handle. However, due to the shape of the underside of the bottom plate of the NEW head (both LC and SC), these handles do not fit well. The top of the handles is just a bit too wide.

I thought that maybe the handle of the Sabi T2 and/or the handle of the Matador Toro Mastiff razor (the razors look identical, but I am not sure if they really are the same) will fit. Or maybe the iKon bulldog handle? Does anybody have any of these handles and knows the answer? Does any other handle fit?

Thanks!
While perhaps not the most practical answer, I can tell you that the handle from a Stahley Live Blade works excellently. I tried 3 Gillette Tuckaways, and all wouldn't line up properly without lots of time & effort, much less do the same thing twice.
Seems the brass back then tended to be too soft, and the Stahley handle it steel. if you have a press, I'd HIGHLY recommend the following surgery for your New Heads.Arrow. [I'll try to get you some pics shortly]:

find a good washer a bit bigger than your handle in steel. used the press to mill a small well into the head just wide & deep enough to seat your washer flush. you can braze it in with a plumbing torch & silver solder, or, if you aren't practiced with such things, epoxy will do, but I like how the solder hides the mod in new silver "plate". Be sure that your washer level in the same plane as the original surface or your handle will not be straight! I started fiddling with this, because thought the handle on mine was the main problem, significant wear was starting on the bottom of 2 of the heads. This way I've corrected the initial problem, and the steel washer, being harder will prevent further wear on the head. of course, now the threading on the top plate will start, but that's another little machining adventure!
"The Regiment Says Repair It!"
Speaking of steel, I probably shouldn't ask, but I read correctly that you somehow used a drill press for tapering a handle?Shok? Yikes!! It's much SAFER for YOU and the equipment to look for a small lathe, or grinding wheel! Having said that,

0 1
 03-22-2013, 03:44 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(03-21-2013, 10:09 PM)acb13adm Wrote: While perhaps not the most practical answer, I can tell you that the handle from a Stahley Live Blade works excellently. I tried 3 Gillette Tuckaways, and all wouldn't line up properly without lots of time & effort, much less do the same thing twice.
Seems the brass back then tended to be too soft, and the Stahley handle it steel. if you have a press, I'd HIGHLY recommend the following surgery for your New Heads.Arrow. [I'll try to get you some pics shortly]:

find a good washer a bit bigger than your handle in steel. used the press to mill a small well into the head just wide & deep enough to seat your washer flush. you can braze it in with a plumbing torch & silver solder, or, if you aren't practiced with such things, epoxy will do, but I like how the solder hides the mod in new silver "plate". Be sure that your washer level in the same plane as the original surface or your handle will not be straight! I started fiddling with this, because thought the handle on mine was the main problem, significant wear was starting on the bottom of 2 of the heads. This way I've corrected the initial problem, and the steel washer, being harder will prevent further wear on the head. of course, now the threading on the top plate will start, but that's another little machining adventure!
"The Regiment Says Repair It!"
Speaking of steel, I probably shouldn't ask, but I read correctly that you somehow used a drill press for tapering a handle?Shok? Yikes!! It's much SAFER for YOU and the equipment to look for a small lathe, or grinding wheel! Having said that,

I was the one that tapered the Ikon handle to work with New heads. It is very simple. Much simpler than what you describe above. Chuck the handle in the drill press and use a file to slowly taper the end of the handle. Now it fits all the New heads. Took about 10 minutes to taper and another 15 to sand the file marks and polish the end. See the result here. Modifying the head is much riskier and a lot more work, but can be done in a muc simpler way by just grinding away the ridge that protrudes on the bottom of the bottom plate. This way you would need to modify every head to work with the handle. If the handle is modified it can be used on any New razor you came across. Using a drill press for this is extremely easy and safe. Not sure why you had such a reaction to it.

25 1,705