02-20-2013, 05:15 AM
User Info
(02-19-2013, 03:49 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: If any of you Thäter fans are interested in ...... fans Tongue ..... then PM me in 2 weeks or so. I will sell my Thäter Fans for a solid price. Used 2 times max.

4292 Genuine Horn 24 mm knot, 52 mm loft, 3-Band FAN shaped knot
4292 Faux Horn 23 mm knot, 52 mm loft, 2-Band FAN shaped knot

I may also sell my Bruyers Wood 2-Band hybrid Fan-Bulb shaped knot in 50 mm loft and 24 mm knot size with silver foot. Need to test it first Biggrin

To me it is clearly the Thäter Fan shaped knots that really disappoint me the most. They lack density and backbone. The bulb shaped knots from Thäter seem to do a far better job, both in 2-band as well as 3-band.
And as German stated, the octagonal shaped handles seem to be made with denser knot of hair than the rest. This provide more backbone to the brush.

I own two of the 49125 black-plexiglas handled brushes and they are the last I will sell in my Thäter collection. I had 8 Thäters, now down to 6, soon maybe down to 4.

I'm not a Thäter hater - I was just disappointed in their performance. May you all enjoy your Thäters - they look awesome. I personally love the octagonal black-plexiglas handle. If I ever bought a brush based on the handle alone, this could be it - but I don't Wink

Claus,
This puzzles me greatly. My two band fan from Thater has been on a roadshow for the last three months and only came home this past Monday. I used it last night and was reminded why it was my favorite brush. Unparalleled softness and a lover's willingness to give up the lather. Admittedly, I need less backbone in my brushes, it seems, than others, but the Thater has plenty for me.

But this is what makes the world go round. It would be horrible if we all agreed.

On the issue of customer service, I've not had a reason to complain but were they to disappoint me in that regard, it would be the end of my relationship with them.
oake

5 298
 02-20-2013, 04:32 PM
User Info
My three beauties....... All size 1

[Image: smzwjs.jpg]

28 229
 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM
User Info
I'm proud to say I just made arrangements for another Thäter to join my den. So excited as I am a big fan of Thäter (bulbs).

12 124
 02-24-2013, 09:45 AM
User Info
Here are my five Thäter.

From left to right....

49125/2 - 4125/1 - 4125/2 Fan Shape 2-band - Bruyére - Cocobolo 2-band
[Image: 13573318il.jpg]

17 908
 02-24-2013, 11:03 AM
  • German
  • Simpson 2 Band Aficionado
  • USA
User Info
Awesome!!!
(02-24-2013, 09:45 AM)il Barbiere AiA Wrote:
Here are my five Thäter.

From left to right....

44 2,084
 02-24-2013, 12:41 PM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 09:50 PM)rts9364 Wrote: I'm proud to say I just made arrangements for another Thäter to join my den. So excited as I am a big fan of Thäter (bulbs).

Here is my opinion.

People who don't like splays, fluffy knots and too much bloom should just avoid Thäter Fans and stay with their bulbs !
My 4 Thäter bulbs are all pretty solid performers, they seem to have that extra density and backbone, which my fans lacks to some extent.

So I agree with the last word in your post, placed in parenthesis Thumbsup

(02-24-2013, 09:45 AM)il Barbiere AiA Wrote:
Here are my five Thäter.

From left to right....

Beautiful picture Cool

25 6,641
 02-24-2013, 12:59 PM
User Info
I really like Thaters. I received one (silvertip) as a gift this Christmas from my wife. At first I was dismayed since it was a bulb and thought it would just take up shelf space. After using it for a month straight I am totally sold. I used it daily to face lather MWF and Tabac and love the way it performs. I could see where some who like to mash the brush, like pressure and require "backbone" would not care for it, but it suits my technique perfectly. At this point after trying so many brushes and SBAD long gone, Thater joins Simpsons and Kent as the only brush I would buy again.

3 850
 02-25-2013, 02:17 AM
User Info
My Thäter 49125/2 3-Band Silver Tip...cloud soft with decent backbone. Nice addition to my shaving gear Biggrin

[attachment=12633]

9 139
 02-27-2013, 03:58 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
As Claus feels so negatively about the Thäter fan shape brushes I have decided to add a fan to my collection and test it out vs. the bulbs. And here she is:
A beautiful Thäter 4125/1 fan...

I will post impressions once used...Biggrin

44 2,084
 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM
  • MickToley
  • Hi, I'm Mike and I'm a shave soap addict
  • Brooklyn, NY
User Info
(02-27-2013, 03:58 PM)German Wrote: As Claus feels so negatively about the Thäter fan shape brushes I have decided to add a fan to my collection and test it out vs. the bulbs. And here she is:

This is a great brush. I have this one in both fan and bulb. Haven't used the bulb yet, but I enjoy this one very much. I face lather and it's just perfect. Enjoy! Cool

10 1,120
 02-28-2013, 10:26 AM
User Info
(02-27-2013, 03:58 PM)German Wrote: As Claus feels so negatively about the Thäter fan shape brushes I have decided to add a fan to my collection and test it out vs. the bulbs. And here she is:

Looking forward to your impressions, German !

But I feel you made the right choice, as the 4125/1 is only a 24 mm knot, which will minimize the fan splay just a tad compared to the 2 fans I had in 26 mm and 28 mm and the less dense faux horn 4292 in 24 mm fan.

I have now used my Thäter 4292/2 24 mm fan 3 times, and it's not an awful brush per se, but I expected perfection and it did not deliver that, pretty far from - but that is just my personal opinion Smile

YYMV Tongue

25 6,641
 02-28-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 02:17 AM)Badger Wrote: My Thäter 49125/2 3-Band Silver Tip...cloud soft with decent backbone. Nice addition to my shaving gear Biggrin

That scuttle is sweet! Where did you get it?

5 413
 02-28-2013, 09:27 PM
User Info
(02-28-2013, 06:42 PM)Krisbarger Wrote:
(02-25-2013, 02:17 AM)Badger Wrote: My Thäter 49125/2 3-Band Silver Tip...cloud soft with decent backbone. Nice addition to my shaving gear Biggrin

That scuttle is sweet! Where did you get it?

Robert Becker!

9 139
 03-02-2013, 05:15 AM
User Info
(02-28-2013, 10:26 AM)CHSeifert Wrote: But I feel you made the right choice, as the 4125/1 is only a 24 mm knot, which will minimize the fan splay just a tad compared to the 2 fans I had in 26 mm and 28 mm and the less dense faux horn 4292 in 24 mm fan.

I have now used my Thäter 4292/2 24 mm fan 3 times, and it's not an awful brush per se, but I expected perfection and it did not deliver that, pretty far from - but that is just my personal opinion Smile

YYMV Tongue
Claus,
One man's "splay" is another man's "soft hand of a beautiful woman cupping his face lovingly and looking into his eyes with earnest desire".

Anyway, that's what splay feels like to me from the Thater fan. You must be getting something different (insert chuckling good natured ribbing emoticon here).
oake

EDIT: For the sake of honesty, that picture is NOT what I look like, though it bears a faint resemblance to what my love addled wife sees when she looks at me.

5 298
 03-02-2013, 08:22 AM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
I got to finally use the Thäter 4125/1 Fan with cream (Speick) and soap (Tabac) and want to post some impressions as promised. Now, I am a bulb guy and I generally prefer bulbs or hybrid bulbs over fans and flat tops. And of course all of this is very subjective and YMMV Biggrin

Softness of tips: The fan has the same soft tips that I learned to love with all my Thäter 2 band brushes. For me those are amongst the softest 2 band brushes out there. A wonderful soft rub to the skin... a massage where you feel each hair (not a "gel wall" like the early XL series). The fan supports that feeling even more so than the bulb because much more hair touches your skin.

Density: This is a medium dense brush. The bulb feels more dense because the outer hairs support the inner ones giving it a fuller feel. I doubt that there is actually more hair in the bulb vs the fan with the same knot size. Hence, it is purely shape that drives that impression.

Flowthrough: Excellent! Period! A lather machine that kisses your face. Even more so than the bulb as more hair kisses you...Blush

Splay: And here it goes: my rule of thumb is to always buy a fan one size down from a bulb because it will splay considerably more. Only very dense fan brushes do not have a lot of splay, e.g. Rooney XL, Chubby, GYLE, WSP Stubby. This Thäter splays a LOT. Size 1 for me is as much as I can meaningfully control on my face. I believe Claus that with sizes 2 and 3 this becomes a monster on your face. For many a size 0 (22mm) fan would be just perfect while the bulb in the same size seems small (I sold all but one of my 22mm Thäter bulbs).

Backbone: The brush has sufficient backbone for me as a face latherer. The bulb has more, again, the shape makes the difference here, as the individual hairs are soft, but resilient - a 2 band brush! I understand that "die hard" face scrubbers who expect a wall of hair on their faces will be disappointed with this brush - but it is far from being "crap, crap, crap" as somebody else put it...Biggrin

YMMV - but I love this brush! Why?
- It has very soft tips
- It has resilient hair but offers flex on the face, i.e. you do not have a brick of hair in your face (gel like feeling brick or not)
- Excellent flow through, makes a ton of lather and gives it up easy

Do I love it more than the bulb? I am not sure yet. The hybrid bulbs that are found in the 4292 series in 2 band may be the sweet spot.

If you are a fan lover of dense brushes this may not work for you. If you are a bulb lover make sure you truly size down on a Thäter fan.

Below a few pics. Enjoy your shaves!

44 2,084
 03-02-2013, 08:52 AM
User Info
German,
I think you hit on one of the signal qualities of the Thater Fan. I've used lots of other big brushes and nothing releases the lather as well as the Thater fan ...at least for me.

5 298
 03-02-2013, 12:17 PM
User Info
(03-02-2013, 08:22 AM)German Wrote: I got to finally use the Thäter 4125/1 Fan with cream (Speick) and soap (Tabac) and want to post some impressions as promised. Now, I am a bulb guy and I generally prefer bulbs or hybrid bulbs over fans and flat tops. And of course all of this is very subjective and YMMV Biggrin

Softness of tips: The fan has the same soft tips that I learned to love with all my Thäter 2 band brushes. For me those are amongst the softest 2 band brushes out there. A wonderful soft rub to the skin... a massage where you feel each hair (not a "gel wall" like the early XL series). The fan supports that feeling even more so than the bulb because much more hair touches your skin.

Density: This is a medium dense brush. The bulb feels more dense because the outer hairs support the inner ones giving it a fuller feel. I doubt that there is actually more hair in the bulb vs the fan with the same knot size. Hence, it is purely shape that drives that impression.

Flowthrough: Excellent! Period! A lather machine that kisses your face. Even more so than the bulb as more hair kisses you...Blush

Splay: And here it goes: my rule of thumb is to always buy a fan one size down from a bulb because it will splay considerably more. Only very dense fan brushes do not have a lot of splay, e.g. Rooney XL, Chubby, GYLE, WSP Stubby. This Thäter splays a LOT. Size 1 for me is as much as I can meaningfully control on my face. I believe Claus that with sizes 2 and 3 this becomes a monster on your face. For many a size 0 (22mm) fan would be just perfect while the bulb in the same size seems small (I sold all but one of my 22mm Thäter bulbs).

Backbone: The brush has sufficient backbone for me as a face latherer. The bulb has more, again, the shape makes the difference here, as the individual hairs are soft, but resilient - a 2 band brush! I understand that "die hard" face scrubbers who expect a wall of hair on their faces will be disappointed with this brush - but it is far from being "crap, crap, crap" as somebody else put it...Biggrin

YMMV - but I love this brush! Why?
- It has very soft tips
- It has resilient hair but offers flex on the face, i.e. you do not have a brick of hair in your face (gel like feeling brick or not)
- Excellent flow through, makes a ton of lather and gives it up easy

Do I love it more than the bulb? I am not sure yet. The hybrid bulbs that are found in the 4292 series in 2 band may be the sweet spot.

If you are a fan lover of dense brushes this may not work for you. If you are a bulb lover make sure you truly size down on a Thäter fan.

Below a few pics. Enjoy your shaves!

German,

Thanks for your thorough review of the 4125/1 2-Band Thäter in FAN.

My 3 words Crap, crap & crap Biggrin that came out of my mouth after testing my third fan shaped 2-band Thäter was just an honest and impulsive reaction to what I really felt like the moment I had used this, my thirds Thäter Fan shaped 2-band brush - and I might have overreacted just a tiny little bit Blush Tongue

But I'm passionate about my interest and hobbies, so this is what sometimes happen, when I write before I really really think Biggrin

We may just have different kinds of beard type, skin type - I may have hard water, while you have softer or more regular water in your area, we will never know - I just have a preference for more densely packed & firmer feeling 2-Banders, while you prefer the softer, more luxurious silky soft tipped 2-bander.

Yet we both face lather - and that is quite interesting, from my perspective at least.
Just shows how much this hobby is YMMV, but we all know that very well by now Wink

I still love to read your opinions about your brushes, and I may even buy this Thäter in a couple of months time, when I move to another apartment in an area with softer water.
I will try not use the 3 C words to describe the brush, should I not like it at that point Tongue

25 6,641
 05-24-2013, 11:24 PM
  • German
  • USA
User Info
A member asked for this thread... Hence I am putting it back on the map.... Biggrin

44 2,084
 05-25-2013, 07:42 AM
  • VTMAX
  • Banned
  • Woodstock, Vermont
User Info
I love my Somerset Simpsons, Rooney's & especially the M&F brushes Lee Sabini makes in London. His handles and XL brushes are in a league of their own IMO. Yet the brushes I reach for most for pure performance are the two band Thaters. I'm in the minority here but I grew up with English fans and the one's produced by Thater are simply outstanding. The best face feel and lather of any "high end" brush I have tried over the last 20 years.

42 1,041
 05-26-2013, 11:48 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(05-24-2013, 11:24 PM)German Wrote: A member asked for this thread... Hence I am putting it back on the map.... Biggrin

Hi Georg

Thank you for doing so, from said member Thumbsup

I knew such a thread existed here, just couldn't find it (when I really! need it). I now have it bookmarked for future reference...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872