02-17-2013, 05:32 PM
User Info
Ok-
Yup, I'm a newbie. My wife has agreed to allow me to get my birthday present a few months early Biggrin

So here we go, this is what I have in my Basket at Italian Barber:

Edwin Jagger DE89
Edwin Jagger Best Badger brush - Med with stand
Proraso Shave Cream Tube (green) - Menthal and Eucalyptus
Proraso Shave Soap Tub (red)- Sandalwood and Shea butter
50 blade DE blade sampler
Shavex 110g allum block
Proraso Pre/Post - Menthal and Eucalyptus

Any other must haves for this beginner/newbie set?
Also, does the Nook have a discount at Italian Barber that I should note in checkout? (worth asking)

0 64
 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM
User Info
I have and use the DE89 and the Proraso. Good stuff.
I do not have any insight on the EJ brush.

If I am spending your (or your wife's) money, I would also add a Semogue 1305 boar brush and any of the RazoRock soaps. Cool

Happy shaving

31 1,800
 02-17-2013, 05:53 PM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 05:42 PM)Bowhnter Wrote: I have and use the DE89 and the Proraso. Good stuff.
I do not have any insight on the EJ brush.

If I am spending your (or your wife's) money, I would also add a Semogue 1305 boar brush and any of the RazoRock soaps. Cool

Happy shaving

Hey Mike- thanks for the reply. I probably do not know enough about Boar brushes. Curious as to why you like the Boar over the Badger, or is it more for different purposes?

Your location made me homesick as I am a TXN by birth, grew up in Allen.

0 64
 02-17-2013, 06:03 PM
User Info
Welcome! You've obviously done your research, and you made some nice choices. I would make the following suggestions/substitutions for an IB order:

Merkur 37C slant
Semogue 1250 or 1800 boar

Have fun!

47 1,270
 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
I started with a bad badger brush and now I have boar brushes. I'm cheap and don't want to dump the money into a good badger brush.

Razorock soap is in my top 2 with Mikes Natural Soap. Proraso tub is probably 3rd.

0 46
 02-17-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
Your items of choice look great!
Congratulations and good luck.

75 20,883
 02-17-2013, 06:11 PM
User Info
I'll second the 1305. Boars take a while to break in (about two months of use) before they reach their full potential, but the results are well worth it. Here is some reading that got me into boar brushes: http://www.bruceonshaving.com/2010/10/10...r-brushes/

2 362
 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Hello! The Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great choice as well as the blade sampler. I too would suggest a Semogue Boar to add to the order that way you can try badger and boar and see what's for you. I would suggest the 1800 but the 1250 and 1350 mentioned above are good choices too. You can get the 1800 for $17 which I think is one heck of a deal. Happy shaving.

45 3,955
 02-17-2013, 06:49 PM
User Info
I know some of the nicer boar brushes are sort of the latest fad on shavenook, but in my opinion a new wetshaver would do better with a badger brush. There's enough to get sorted out when you're starting out that you don't want to be waiting a month for your boar to break in to get the best results. The badger is going to be the same day one as it will after a couple of months. It's one less variable to worry about in your routine when you're learning what works best for you.

That said, definitely try a boar or two down the road.

8 115
 02-17-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
Welcome to the forum! Looks like you have a good set up there, hang around here long enough and your shaving goods will multiply like rabbits Biggrin.

5 938
 02-17-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
Agree on the EJ DE89.

I personally would bypass the creams and go straight to 1 or 2 Italian soaps/croaps - I personally love the La Famiglia soaps, Mudder Focker, or King Louis Lavender Karite. Would also consider Cella, another truly great Italian soap that everyone should try once!

47 1,114
 02-17-2013, 07:58 PM
User Info
(02-17-2013, 06:49 PM)norm Wrote: I know some of the nicer boar brushes are sort of the latest fad on shavenook, but in my opinion a new wetshaver would do better with a badger brush. There's enough to get sorted out when you're starting out that you don't want to be waiting a month for your boar to break in to get the best results. The badger is going to be the same day one as it will after a couple of months. It's one less variable to worry about in your routine when you're learning what works best for you.

That said, definitely try a boar or two down the road.

That would definitely be helpful. I've never really used a badger, but the less variable, the better, for sure.

2 362
 02-17-2013, 08:01 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I am not far removed from being a newbie. I have a DE89. Added a Merkur Progress and a vintage Super Speed Red Tip. Love Proraso creams. Highly recommend a Semogue Boar. I have the SOC. I also have become very fond of Gillette Silve Blue blades and Proraso new formula aftershave splash.
Strong recommendation for Bullgoose shaving and the wet shaving sample shoppe.
My limited experience says it is critical to get your lather right and take your time.
For me, this is a lot of fun..

44 633
 02-17-2013, 08:16 PM
User Info
You have a great deal on your plate right now and having a plethora of gear will just make your progress much more difficult.

What you have is good for now. Learn technique and you can always place another order after you get a foundation built. Having lots of gear now is not the way to learn the basics. That comes later.

Good luck!

Don't forget that we're here to help as much as we can through the printed word. Oh, and be careful about letting these guys control your checkbook, they'll have you buying all sorts of stuff before you even know what you're doing. OK, that'd be me too. We're called enablers. Biggrin It's done out of kindness, but we'll have you buying all sorts of stuff because it works for us, not necessarily for you.

Edit: I forgot! Keep your eyes open for gear in the PIF section. PIF is the acronym for Pay it Forward, what it means for you is free gear if you win.

Piggy_214 Don't forget an Omega Boar! Nono Facepalm

32 6,311
 02-17-2013, 08:30 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Sounds like you made good choices. Here are my thoughts from a perspective of a relative newb (started this journey almost a year ago) that learned quickly and am now at a place where I feel very comfortable and confident in being able to get a good shave from almost any setup. EJ DE89 Barley Chrome was my very first DE and I don't regret it. Great razor and very beautifully made. However, I hardly ever use it now. I ended up using Merkur Progress after trying it about 5 months ago. As a newb I was discouraged to get an adjustable as a first razor, but I think that's not a great advice. Merkur Progress can totally be the first and possibly only razor anyone needs. Yes, the adjustments will tempt you to try different settings on it, but if you are disciplined you can just keep it at 2 or something low like that and learn the razor. Progress is an outstanding razor that will allow you to grow your skills and not need a new razor to accommodate the growth of skill. It can take you from beginer to advanced and beyond. I would not say this about other adjustables, but Progress is arguably the best razor to start DE shaving with. You can dial it down to a very mild setting and learn your technique. Then as you get better start dialing more blade exposure if you need and/or want it. You may prefer a mild shave and Progress will provide it as well as an aggressive one at a turn of a knob. Progress is about $20 more than the EJ and totally worth the investment. My EJ is sitting in my cabinet as a $45 learning aid. I will probably end up giving it away to someone as it is a great razor, but after discovering Progress and its versatility I hardly use the EJ. So instead of spending $45 spend a bit more for the Progress and you may not need to worry about other razors unless RAD (Razor Acquisition Disorder) bites you as it often does. As far as other stuff, sounds like you got good stuff picked out. I love Proraso (mine is white tub for sensitive skin, which gives a bit of menthol coolness and smells great). Not a fan of cremems myself, but if you want to try one, go for it. Brushes are a thing that really get me the most in wet shaving. There are so many good brushes and each is different from the other and they are all good. I would see if I could get a Simpson in best badger as a first brush. Somthing like Case ($50) or look around on BST here. Those are really excellent brushes and you can not go wrong with a Simpson Best. I make my own brushes mostly using TGN two band knots, but a Simpson Case is one of my favorites still. Brushes really represent the most varied field as there is really no "wrong" brush, there is only one you like more and one you don't care for so much. All of them will work to create the lather you need. I can not comment on your choice of brush, but as a new wet shaver I would go for a less expensive Simpson in best badger and definitely check out a boar, but as a sideline. I prefer Omega boars to Semogues for many reasons, but one of the reasons is Omegas break in much quicker and for me provide better service. They are very inexpensive and absolutely wonderful once broken in. Check out IB's kits for under $25. Many of them feature Omega boars and Proraso soap and an alum block, which you didn't mention, but I would highly recommend. Also, buy yourself a bottle of alcohol-free witch hazel such as Thayers. Best aftershave splash ever. I do not go for AS as I don't like most of the scents and alcohol, but alum application right after the shave and then a cold water rinse (after letting alum stay for a minute or two while I clean up the tools) and witch hazel gives me the best post shave care. I also use unrefined shea butter available in most health food stores as a moisturizer. Not necessarily right after, but sometime during the day I'll rub some into the skin where I shave. Helps keep the skin healthy and hydrated and ready for the next shave.

Best of luck and welcome to the Nook!

25 1,705
 02-17-2013, 08:35 PM
User Info
I find the Proraso Pre/Post kind of strange as an aftershave myself. I highly recommend you add a bottle of Speick aftershave to your order.

15 762
 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
User Info
Thanks everyone!!!

Well, the first purchase has now been made. I did alter my order based on the feedback here.

Traded out the Badger Brush for the Semogue 1305 Boar
Added the RazorRock Mudder Focker Soap

All in all, I think this is a good start and something to build on.

I think Ill ask for a Simpson Badger for Christmas Wink

Thanks everyone.

0 64
 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Speick splash and a Semogue 1250. Both mentioned in earlier posts in this thread.

For a balm I don't think you can go wrong with Nivea for Sensitive Skin (glass bottle, white screw-on lid). Cheap, too. Nice, very light herbal fragrance.

Simpson Commodore 1 or 2 in best is a really nice, soft badger. Won't break the bank.

Try:

http://www.doubleedgeshavingplace.com/ca...ore_series

0 1,625
 02-18-2013, 12:06 AM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
So many products, So little time...lol Good Luck my friend and Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 02-18-2013, 02:49 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
welcome, you should have a great time with the stuff you selected. Just start using it until you get the hang of it. It's difficult to say where to go from here. In my experience a merkur progress is a superb razor, so is a 37C. Brushes is more difficult, I wouldn't spend very high amounts of money on these yet, there are some very good ones out there for moderate amounts of $ (semogue, omega come to mind or look in the BST forum for secondhand).

27 1,297