04-01-2012, 04:12 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I want to order my first scuttle but it's not something I know a lot about. I've narrowed my choices down to three. Dirty Bird Original, Georgetown G5, and a scuttle from robertsfeatsofclay with the stock # of 1. The scuttle from robertsfeatsofclay is half the price of the other two but still looks very nice. Any info would be appreciated.

45 3,955
 04-01-2012, 04:15 PM
User Info
I have a DB 1.5, a Georgetown G4, and a Becker scuttle, among others. All work very well. If you haven't used a scuttle and don't want to start out by spending a lot of money, I'd highly recommend the Becker (robertsfeatsofclay). And if you don't like the stock colors/patterns he offers, he'll work with you to create what you want.

184 12,002
 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM
User Info
DB is the only POTTERY variation, the others are not hand thrown (someone else can weigh in with the exact wording i'm looking for), but i believe the GT and RB are ceramic and not nearly as heavy and don't retain heat as well.

they will all do the same basic function of keeping the lather warm.

the DB has the biggest reservoir. the GT is on the smaller side, but i use my as a brush scuttle sometime as well.

the GT stopper is useless, but i replaced it with a cork, but it still gets in the way.

the RB is fine, but they are not as "refined" and "polished" as the DB and GT.

i own the DB 1.5 with webbed and a GT G5 and if i could only have one, i'd buy the DB. but the G5 is also nice to use as a brush scuttle for when i use my large brushes, so i didn't make a clear choice there did i?

julie at DB makes custom glazes, so if one doesn't jump out at you on here site, contact her and ask what else she has.

here is a side by side of my GT and DB. HERE

8 2,718
 04-01-2012, 05:46 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Dirty Bird scuttles are all done by hand on a potters wheel where the George Town and Becker scuttles are made from a mold. But all are very good. For a first scuttle I would go with Robert Becker who can usually make a piece for you in about 2-3 weeks. If you are in a hurry you can get a already made Moss scuttle from Smallflower.com for $90 out the door.
The Moss scuttle started the whole modern craze regarding scuttles.

100 12,440
 04-01-2012, 07:11 PM
User Info
I had a Moss scuttle that I bought second hand with a broken handle. The scuttle was a great size and held heat a good long time, long enough for 3 passes and touchups with a DE. Unfortunately, the repaired handle let go while drying and it hit the floor, but I would certainly buy one again. Lathering was easy given the spiraling in the bowl and the color was intense. I'm using the scuttle offered on Kell's original site, but the interior is really not large enough for lathering, so I have to transfer lather from a bowl into the scuttle. The DB scuttles are highly regarded in many shaving forums, but expect a wait period. The Georgetown's are nice and apparently the manufacturer has "seconds" laying around if you call. They are cheaper and from what I've heard are just as good with some discoloration, though people who have bought them can't tell the difference.

0 37
 04-01-2012, 07:16 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
My first and only scuttle is a Dirty Bird and I highly recommend them.

173 23,508
 04-01-2012, 07:26 PM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
tgutc,

From the scuttles I have tried through the years — Dirty Bird 1.5, Georgetown, Moss and Becker — none does it for me as well as the Ansgar Schwarzweisskeramik. Both Dirty Bird and Moss I find quite good. Dirty Bird is for lathering and Moss for only keeping the brush warm. Schwarzweisskeramik works best for me in every way. You might want to consider it, as well.

132 2,614
 04-01-2012, 07:39 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Obie, if I could find a Schwarzweisskeramik at a decent price, I would order one in a heart beat. It has been awhile since I checked, but the last time I looked, to order direct from him, the price delivered to me here in the USA was over $100.00 and that's a little to much for me.

They are nice though. I guess you get what you pay for.

173 23,508
 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM
  • DanOK
  • Mustang, OK
User Info
My preference is the G4 Georgetown but I also own a dirty bird, a moss, and a few others. Not everyone likes using scuttles and I would also suggest starting with a Becker to see if a scuttle is even something you want to use.

0 56
 04-01-2012, 07:55 PM
User Info
my G5 is like a swiss army scuttle and like above, you can find "2nds" if you contact them, but be sure to ask what the "2nd" flaw is, just so you know ahead of time.

also, the G5 is often available used on BST threads, for $45-50 shipped.

i can bowl lather or use as a larger brush scuttle. it's very versatile.

8 2,718
 04-01-2012, 09:33 PM
User Info
I got a "standard" Dirty Bird and have been so happy with it I will never have a scuttle AD. That's right. I said never, knowing full well that it usually amounts to a jinx. I think her work is that good. I had her make a reverse handle to achieve the Schwarzweisskeramik ergonomics. You can find pics in one of the scuttle threads here.

3 195
 04-01-2012, 09:40 PM
  • Shanman
  • Reserve Collection Squirrel Hair
  • NE Florida
User Info
I'd try the new DB travel scuttle. If you dig it, then go big. My personal favorite is a small rectangular Japanese porcelain scuttle I got from a B&B friend on a total fluke.

135 1,946
 04-02-2012, 03:15 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-01-2012, 07:39 PM)Johnny Wrote: Obie, if I could find a Schwarzweisskeramik at a decent price, I would order one in a heart beat. It has been awhile since I checked, but the last time I looked, to order direct from him, the price delivered to me here in the USA was over $100.00 and that's a little to much for me.

They are nice though. I guess you get what you pay for.

Johnny, yes, the shipping is the killer. But what a sweet scuttle. Originally I had the large — there is also the extra large. When a friend fell in love with it, I made him a present of it. Another friend fell in love with my Dirty Bird 1.5 and I made a present of that, too.

Come, come, gentlemen, I'm going broke.

I had my Moss Scuttle for a while, the small one, and a modified Ayars lather bowl, which Sara Bonnyman makes. The Ayars was a touch too big for my hands. I asked Sara to make me one slightly smaller. She did and it's handsome. Now I use it with the Moss — the Moss is meant to keep lather warm and not for lather making. I use the combination for my smaller brushes, making lather in the Ayars/Bonnyman bowl and then transferring it to the Moss Scuttle to keep warm with my brush.

Finally, for the bigger brushes, I decided to order the Schwarzweisskeramik, the basic size that does not have the the extended water reservoir that always reminds of a pouting lip. The basic, I think, is the most versatile of the Ansgar scuttles. It's a sweet scuttle and I love it. The biggest brush I have is a 25 mm. and it works perfectly in this scuttle. For me, the Schwarzweisskeramik tops everything I have tried.

132 2,614
 04-02-2012, 05:43 PM
User Info
I plan to purchase a Schwarzweisskeramik design but am undecided what product to order. Obie's comments and experience with Schwarzweisskeramik products have proven to be very useful in helping me make an informed decision. I am impressed with the design of Schwarzweisskeramik scuttles and the many comments regarding their quality and functionality.

Schwarzweisskeramik designs under consideration include the small size scuttle, the Trio, the basic scuttle, and the freestyle mug. Based on Obie's comment regarding the basic scuttle, I am leaning in that direction, but am also intrigued by the Trio design that appears to offer flexibility on how it is used. I both face and bowl lather and have concerns, perhaps misplaced, that the larger size scuttles would be both cumbersome and too heavy. On the other hand, a larger size scuttle would almost certainly prove to have better heat retention properties than a smaller size unit. The heat retention issue is my biggest concern with the Trio and basic scuttle options.

0 3,341
 04-02-2012, 11:08 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Obie,

I thought I had this figured out, but after re-reading your post again, I am confused. Which of these two are you using now?

or

173 23,508
 04-03-2012, 02:14 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thank you everyone for your advice. I'm very pleased to announce that I just placed an order for an Original Dirty Bird Scuttle (Blue Rim On Spice).

45 3,955
 04-03-2012, 06:18 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You will not be sorry.

173 23,508
 04-03-2012, 06:37 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
(04-02-2012, 11:08 PM)Johnny Wrote: Obie,

I thought I had this figured out, but after re-reading your post again, I am confused. Which of these two are you using now?

or

Johnny,

Currently I use the one on top. The bottom Schwarzweisskeramik is not a scuttle; rather, it's a lather bowl. Originally I had the large scuttle, the one with the lip, pictured in my shave den photo of two years ago, which I sent you, but, as I noted earlier, I made a present of it to a friend. With limited space on the shave den counter, I decided to go with the "basic," which is the one pictured on top. It's about as sweet as a scuttle can get.

Mind you, Johnny, I also am quite fond of the Dirty Bird. Neither Georgetown nor Becker, however, did much for me. I like the Moss, but it is not for lathering; it's to keep the brush warm. The Schwarzweisskeramik, however, is tops for me for a scuttle.

If you order the scuttle, you need to drop Ansgar Tolksdorf, the scuttle's designer and manufacturer, a not. He is a fine and fair gentleman.

Johnny,
One more thing: the little cup you see inverted in the scuttle is a separate item. It is used to keep the brush warm. I use it for water, if I needed it to spike the brush during the shave.

132 2,614
 04-03-2012, 06:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Obie,

Thanks. I thought that might be the case but just was not sure. I have a suggestion for clearing up some counter space, sell 75% of all those razors. Biggrin

173 23,508
 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
User Info
Here's my Dirty Bird brush scuttle. I don't use the scuttle as often as I should, but I use the bowl every morning (brush soaking, lather making if I don't face lather). I like the way it all nests together since I have small counters. These hold heat very well too.

[Image: DSC08234.jpg?t=1311125366]

[Image: DSC08232.jpg]

0 221