02-18-2013, 07:11 AM
User Info
I didn't want to hijack the "Tube to Tub" thread. http://shavenook.com/thread-from-tube-to-tub But mention was made there of letting cream dry to CRAOP consistancy.

Has anyone done this? If you have can you elaborate on the process and if it was successful?

Mucho gracias!!!!!

Moe

24 212
 02-18-2013, 08:03 AM
User Info
Also curious about this. Subscribed.

2 362
 02-18-2013, 08:24 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
Done it several times. I've done it with Speick, Old Spice Indian Cream Original, Old Spice Lime, and others. It works well and retains the scent really well.

I squirt the cream out into a bowl or mug or whatever
Put it in a dry place (no moisture at all) and let it dry. Keep the top off of the container.
After a week or so, it will start to harden a bit. I will usually let mine sit for close to a month and then test the hardness of it. Most times, after a period of about 3 weeks or so it's hard enough to use but I like to give it an extra week or so. Keep in mind that it won't be a true croap and you'll use a bit more than what you'd usually use if you were using a hard soap or croap. This is awesome for stuff that isn't being made in soap form any longer (Old Spice, etc).

116 3,804
 02-18-2013, 08:25 AM
User Info
I have the following tubs of cream that have all turned to croaps:

TOBS avocado
T&H ultimate comfort
T&H rose
Trumpers violet

Don't know how useful this info is as I didn't purposefully dry them out. It just happened over time. Hasn't affected performance at all though.

8 115
 02-18-2013, 08:58 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(02-18-2013, 08:25 AM)norm Wrote: I have the following tubs of cream that have all turned to croaps:

TOBS avocado
T&H ultimate comfort
T&H rose
Trumpers violet

Don't know how useful this info is as I didn't purposefully dry them out. It just happened over time. Hasn't affected performance at all though.

Could you estimate how long you had the creams before they dried out?

45 3,955
 02-18-2013, 09:19 AM
User Info
(02-18-2013, 08:58 AM)tgutc Wrote:
(02-18-2013, 08:25 AM)norm Wrote: I have the following tubs of cream that have all turned to croaps:

TOBS avocado
T&H ultimate comfort
T&H rose
Trumpers violet

Could you estimate how long you had the creams before they dried out?

The ultimate comfort was already dried out when I bought it. The others all took about a year to harden to croap consistency. At first it bothered me since I didn't want them dried out, but now I think i actually like it better.

Also, it's interesting that I've had them all for 2-3 years after they initially hardened, and they have stayed the same consistency since. I thought they might completely dry out, but they haven't.

Also worth mentioning: I've had some other creams for the same amount of time that never dried out under the same storage circumstances (those items being: C&E sweet almond oil, TOBS Sandalwood, and the old formula Body shop).

i can take photos later this afternoon and post them if they would be of any interest.

8 115
 02-18-2013, 10:07 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I'd like to see the pictures norm! I have been thinking of buying a couple of Old Spice cream to put in my Old Spice mug once I finish off that puck. It just seems kind of odd that it would actually work and retain its scent.

127 2,386
 02-18-2013, 10:10 AM
User Info
I have some old jars of Penhaligon's Lords shaving cream that over the years have dried out to become solid. I have found that I can just use them as soaps or reconstitute them back to creams with some distilled water. Their performance and scent are great.

184 12,003
 02-18-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
Okay, here's a photo (assuming I find figured out how to correctly upload it from my phone). Don't know how well you can tell from the image, but they're all about the softness of a proraso tub.

8 115
 02-18-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
I bought two DR HARRIS creams that both were croaps when I got them.
They performed EXCELLENT from first shave.

Then I bought two new DR HARRIS creams, Windsor and almond, that both were regDodgylat soft creams, they performed a little bit less great to be honest Shy

Don't know how long it took for the first two pots to dry out, because they were already croaps when I received them - but let me feel you, that this drying out phase in fact makes a cream a better performer. The scent was still there, very much so.

It was Arlington and Marlborough cream that were crops when I got them.

22 5,058
 02-18-2013, 01:12 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That's interesting. My Avacado Tub is a very soft cream yet.

45 3,955
 02-19-2013, 02:59 AM
User Info
Great stuff everyone, thanks!

24 212
 02-19-2013, 11:38 AM
User Info
I've done it with CO Bigelow. I just squeezed a tube out into a wooden container and left it out to dry for about 2 - 3 weeks. It works fine, and now my Bigelow looks really nice in a wooden bowl.

I think I started that project in October 2012, and now it's still not rock hard, but a little firmer than putty. I really have to push hard on the surface to get it to indent. Smell and performance seem to be the same as stock.

0 252
 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM
User Info
That's interesting. When they dried, was it just water that evaporated?

1 316
 02-20-2013, 06:10 AM
User Info
Here's my CO Bigelow in a $6 wooden bowl ( it has a wooden top not in the picture ).

I've read some tips on this procedure:
* you want the product to have as much surface area to depth as you can get. The 'shallower' the product is the quicker and more evenly it dries.
* putting the product in a fridge can help dehydrate it faster. I'm not sure I wanted my food tasting like menthol so I skipped that step with mine.
* commercial products with preservatives are probably a better candidate for this as there is a potential for yuckies to grow if exposed to air. The 2 times I've dried some of my creams I've had zero problems with that.

[Image: cobigelow-1_zpsc70bd4bd.jpg]

0 252
 02-20-2013, 07:02 AM
User Info
I once combined a little bit of each of my (28) creams and put them up to dry out/cure for about 3 months. The resulting product performs wonderfully and the scent is still very strong. Even after almost 2 years it is only about as hard as an Arko stick.

0 59
 02-20-2013, 07:43 AM
User Info
By the way, here is the before shot of the CO Bigelow the day I squeezed it into the bowl. That was in October 2012 I believe.

[Image: 8a0260b6-5be6-42c0-9969-bfb81b327089_zps90ee5e23.jpg]

0 252