02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
User Info
..... Or rather I surrender

I have a Tradere OC SN 0087. I really want to like this razor. I's as beautiful as they come. Well made and well balanced. But I am admitting defeat. I am tired of the nicks: the rough shave: my wife yelling at me for blood stains on the collar.

That pic is after one pass with an Israeli Personna and Crabtree & Evelyn soap (my go to combo).

And that is after 8 months of owning the razor. I normally like aggressive shaves and run my Mergress at 3 and 5. But I can't keep this razor under control. I get BBS shaves but you see the price I pay.

When I first got the Tradere OC I posted a review singing it's praises. But I have no idea why now.

I worked so hard to make it work. In the beginning I tried different blades and soaps. I worked on the head angle and my technique. But to no avail. I always feel that the Tradere is about to bite me. My shaves were no longer the pleasurable morning ritual I was used to.

So the Tradere is being retired. It will no longer sit on the shelf begging to be used. I will put it away. Not sure if I will sell it. Have to think on that.

But for now I hang my head in shame and admit defeat.

Phil

7 363
 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Holy smokes!!

Can't say I blame you, but.. um.. wow!

I have the Gen 1 OC and gotta tell you, I don't get ANY nicks or cuts from it. Personna Reds and Med Preps are my only blades...

33 914
 02-18-2013, 09:52 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
I also had a Tradere OC 1st generation razor ... beautifully built and lovely to look at ... but I could not get a decent shave without mishap. I ended up selling it with the hopes that somebody else could enjoy it.

102 17,671
 02-18-2013, 09:55 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Sorry to hear about your truoubles with this razor Phil. I found the biggest thing with my Tradere OC (granted I have the slightly milder 2'nd gen whereas you have the 1'st) is that you really have to be careful about exerting 0 pressure and really watch your angles. Stuff I'm sure you are already familiar with. But I really, really had to focus on just letting the razor skim on my skin and barely holding it to my face or I would get some irritation and possibly a nick or two if I pushed down at all. I do love my Tradere OC but I have to pay attention when I use it, which I don't mind since I enjoy the shaves it gives me and I use Astras instead of Feather blades. The upside is I do get BBS shaves easily every time.

However, if the Tradere is not working for you there is no shame in moving on to using another razor that does work for you. Ultimately, everyone has to use what works best for their needs.

That picture...ouch!!!

14 870
 02-18-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
Although somewhat less dramatic and bloody, my experience with the Tradere OC was quite similar - just too wild and crazy for me.

184 12,003
 02-18-2013, 10:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
You have more patience than I do. One shave like that and it would be gone.

173 23,553
 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM
User Info
(02-18-2013, 10:15 AM)Johnny Wrote: You have more patience than I do. One shave like that and it would be gone.

You speak the truth!

97 615
 02-18-2013, 10:56 AM
User Info
I just ordered the Tradere OC 2. Gen at Phil - Bullgoose Confused

I think my Mühle R41 2011 is okay with a smooth 7 O'Clock Blue SP blade, but only on 2-3 days growth. Will I like the Tradere OC 2012 ?

I enjoy the Tradere SB 2012 very much with a Feather blade on 1 days growth.

Am I a nerd if I use two razors for one shave Huh

The aggressive for first pass, the mild for the second pass Blush

I also always make sure to use Proraso Pre Shave when I shave with my R41 - otherwise I get a couple of cuts. When I use Proraso Pre Shave I get 0-1 cuts/nicks with my R41.......

22 5,070
 02-18-2013, 12:04 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Claus, I think you will like the Tradere OC 2'nd gen. If you are already used to the R41 this one should pose no problems for you. I think you will find it to be a very smooth and efficient razor. But like other very efficient razors, it is not extremely forgiving of using a bit too much pressure or bad angles. Not as unforgiving as an R41 though...I find it to be a nice medium.

If you have time or the inclination please post your impressions in a new thread once you get it. I would look forward to your oppinion of it since you are already used to the R41 and how it would compare for you.

14 870
 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
one word: OUCH ! Shok

0 1,291
 02-18-2013, 05:28 PM
User Info
There is a whole fan club around Weber razors and I sold mine yesterday. I don't like the injectors much either. The Sabi T3 head tore me to shreds, but I handle the Micromatic OC just fine.

Every person is different. Different skin flex, thickness, different hair thickness, direction of growth etc. What works for one person is another person's blood bath.

A bad shave day is a day that will never come back.

For me shaving is the 15-20 minutes in the morn where I need to feel good about myself.
Any razor that makes me wish I used a different one - to the drawer it goes from where the road to BST is short.

6 808
 02-18-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
All I can say is Ouch Ouch Ouch!!!!!

0 64
 02-18-2013, 09:20 PM
User Info
(02-18-2013, 09:52 AM)Agravic Wrote: I also had a Tradere OC 1st generation razor ... beautifully built and lovely to look at ... but I could not get a decent shave without mishap. I ended up selling it with the hopes that somebody else could enjoy it.

+1 No shame in admitting defeat when a razor doesn't work for you. i had the same issue with both Traderes, OC & SB.
Best of luck and i would highly suggest letting her go.

75 20,883
 02-18-2013, 10:45 PM
User Info
Sorry to hear of your experience, the picture only enhances how bad it has been for you. It would be on the BST tonight if it were mine with those results. Enjoy your other razors, there is nothing wrong with admitting a certain razor just doesn't work for you.

63 2,128
 02-19-2013, 03:35 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
Sorry about that. You do look BBS as mentioned though!
Perhaps the Gen 2 may be your key.

It is such a beautiful razor, I certainly follow wanting to keep it for art's sake.

I have a similar issue but only sometimes with the Tradere SB on my neck. I keep trying though so I understand why you were so patient. Smile

Eric

6 905
 02-19-2013, 04:21 AM
User Info
You really don't want to try an R41 with a Rapira, at all.

0 652
 02-19-2013, 05:24 AM
User Info
Dear Phil,
I am an old man and have been shaving for almost 40 years with all different kinds of razors and have NEVER cut myself like that picture EVER! Well expect when I was 15 using my dad's Gillette and he forgot to show me how to pull my skin to the left and right when shaving my Adams apple. Lesson learned the hard way. Anyway perhaps you need to think about your technique rather than blaming the razor? I mean no disrespect at all but rather just offer you something to think about. Right now the Tradere OC is my daily shaver with a Feather blade and like many others I love that razor.

0 74
 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Wow Phil looks like you shaved with a lawn mower!

I couldn't master the Tradere either. I tried both OC and SB (and both first generation) and just couldn't shave comfortably.

Surprisingly the FaTip, Joris and the current R41 have all performed well for me...

91 17,875
 02-19-2013, 05:55 AM
User Info
(02-19-2013, 05:24 AM)fl_guy Wrote: ...Anyway perhaps you need to think about your technique rather than blaming the razor? I mean no disrespect....

FL-Guy,
I've been wetshaving for 34 years. I normally like aggressive razors - my Mergress set at 3 and 5, a Gillette Slim Adjustable at 7 to 9, The curent Ikon SB, an older Muhle R41. All together I have 27 DE razors. I have no problems with any of these. An occassional nick. But not the beating I get from the Tradere.

I did not take my decision to remove the Tradere OC from use lightly. I used it more than any other razor over the past 8 months as I tried to get comfortable with it. I do not believe technique is the issue. But in the interest of good science and my desire to master the Tradere I modified my technique repeatedly.
Various blades were tried. I normally only have Feathers and the Israeli Personnas. But thanks to Bullgoose and his freebies in my orders I had many blades to try. I also switched up my soaps. Tallow, glycerin, croaps and creams.

During all of this I worked on pressure and head angle. I just could not make it work.

I din't really give up in frustration. It was more the realization that my pleasant shaving routine was no more. So to get back to that I am removing the Tradere from use. Last three shaves where Ikon SB on the OSS long handle with a Feather. BBS and no red.

I am back in the shaving zone. Ahhhh!

Phil

7 363
 02-19-2013, 06:24 AM
User Info
(02-19-2013, 05:55 AM)PhilNH5 Wrote:
(02-19-2013, 05:24 AM)fl_guy Wrote: ...Anyway perhaps you need to think about your technique rather than blaming the razor? I mean no disrespect....

FL-Guy,
I've been wetshaving for 34 years. I normally like aggressive razors - my Mergress set at 3 and 5, a Gillette Slim Adjustable at 7 to 9, The curent Ikon SB, an older Muhle R41. All together I have 27 DE razors. I have no problems with any of these. An occassional nick. But not the beating I get from the Tradere.

I did not take my decision to remove the Tradere OC from use lightly. I used it more than any other razor over the past 8 months as I tried to get comfortable with it. I do not believe technique is the issue. But in the interest of good science and my desire to master the Tradere I modified my technique repeatedly.
Various blades were tried. I normally only have Feathers and the Israeli Personnas. But thanks to Bullgoose and his freebies in my orders I had many blades to try. I also switched up my soaps. Tallow, glycerin, croaps and creams.

During all of this I worked on pressure and head angle. I just could not make it work.

I din't really give up in frustration. It was more the realization that my pleasant shaving routine was no more. So to get back to that I am removing the Tradere from use. Last three shaves where Ikon SB on the OSS long handle with a Feather. BBS and no red.

I am back in the shaving zone. Ahhhh!

Phil

OK now I understand and thanks for the follow up.

0 74