02-19-2013, 01:59 PM
User Info
TO start off I would like to say that even if I cannot improve my lather I would still name this one of my number one soaps.

however I'm not getting a lot of lather. I've been using soft soaps and croaps and some creams for the most part so it could just be learning curve on teh harder soap.

I'm using the Omega made Proraso brush. I load slowely for 30ish seconds. The soap is actually starting to lather when I'm done. I put the first pass on reletivly thin (I'm not trying to make a santa beard but I also try to actually cover everything evently). With that I end up with an eaven thiner 2nd pass, and not enough for a 3rd.

I've gone to a 2 pass setup now that my skill is up so thats fine. But when I tried my small Omega boar travel brush I actually had to reload for the 2nd pass.

Water is somewhat hard. Had trouble lathering Razorock until I just loaded the heck out of it, now its thick lush and slick by over loading the brush.

I just can't seem to pickup enough Mikes to over load. Its slick and I love using it but would like a bit more lather for cushion and I'll be going on a trip and will be trying to use Mikes and the travel brush and would like to pop the lather a bit more.

I soak the brush during my shower but I also tried one without soaking until I was getting ready and just wetting the brush down well.

I've experimented with water levels but if I go past early sheen on the lather it starts flying off the brush.

I'm assuming I'm missing something basic and would like a few pointers.

0 46
 02-19-2013, 02:26 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I too had trouble lathering Mike's at first and I have hard water also. What solved it for me is before I get in shower I sprinkle warm water on top of the soap. I don't put a ton in there just enough to cover entire surface and then some. When I get out I dump out the excess water and start lathering with a brush that has more water than usual.

45 3,955
 02-19-2013, 02:35 PM
User Info
Mike's is a thirsty soap, I don't soak my brush, I put it under running water for like 10 seconds, until it's nice and wet. I then give it a couple of shakes and load it upside down. I'm still working on perfecting the lather, but I get decent results using this method.

0 28
 02-19-2013, 02:44 PM
User Info
With Mike's I've found it best to load until you don't notice any more soap being loaded. Dip the tips in water. Load some more until you notice that it's not loading anymore. Repeat until lather is bursting over the tin walls (I have the tins).

Another method that also works is to take the brush dripping wet to the soap and go at it. Makes a huge mess, but is rather fun to do.

9 2,988
 02-19-2013, 02:47 PM
User Info
Just load longer and then keep adding water a bit at a time until you get it where you want it.

Here are a few videos of mine that you can take a look at...

Streamline Shave w/ an UltraLather

Lathering Types & Techniques: UltraLather vs Marco Method

It doesn't matter much which end you start at as the end point will be the same. Water quality can help determine which place is better to start. With hard water (which I have, it's actually classified as "very hard") I've found it better to start with less water. When you use a lot of water that means you are adding more and more of those lather killing minerals which means you need even more and more soap to get a worthy lather. Godspeed on your lather journey and please keep us updated as you find what works best for you.

31 7,914
 02-19-2013, 02:50 PM
User Info
I can't add too much to what's already been stated, but you just need to load the heck out of the brush and when you think it's loaded enough, load some more.

5 938
 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
User Info
I don't use boar brushes, so I'm not sure how my comments will apply to your situation. It sounds to me like you are not getting enough soap on your brush. For Mike's I start with a drier brush and load for a long time. I would try doubling your load time. You may add a drop or two of water as you load. Once loaded I find I need to add a good amount of water to Mike's. Two other things you can try are playing with the water temperature and using the soap like a shave stick.

15 762
 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Maybe look at this thread, How thirsty is Mike's Naturals when loading? for some pointers...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-20-2013, 08:02 AM
  • CRAusmus
  • Going from Texas to Georgia
User Info
I usually load Mikes for 60 seconds, and my brush is usually drier than it is with other soaps I use, like TOBS or Mama Bears. I find it easier for me to add water after the brush is loaded, but even then its usually only a couple of dips in the water and my lather is exploding out of the mug. I love the lather Mike's produces.

Edit: Of course reading what Mike Perry linked to, I should probably have my brush just a tad more damp, then I wouldn't have to load as long. I love a thick rich lather though.

14 1,177
 02-20-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
More product + more water = more lather. I routinely load a damp bush for a minimum of ONE MINUTE. 100-120 swirls generally does it.

31 4,957
 02-20-2013, 11:10 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
After a recent "reset" of my lathering process, all my soaps, including Mikes, are a lot easier to lather.

1) Wet brush thoroughly, then let it drain a bit.
2) If you know your brush holds an insane amount of water, give it a few gentle shakes.
3) Gently rub brush on puck until the suds being created look like (or nearly like) a good lather.
4) Finish building lather on face or in bowl. Dip brush if necessary.

I tend to err on the side of overloading, so I usually end up adding a little water during step 4. For me this has made it pretty idiot proof to make a nice thick slick lather from just about any soap. It definitely works better for me than "start damp, add water until it's right" and tends to make a richer lather than "start soaking wet, load for x seconds" (aka the Marco/Italian method). Going by the consistency of the suds being created during loading also helps me avoid over- and under-lathering issues that can crop up when you load for a prescribed number of seconds.

10 1,858
 02-20-2013, 08:29 PM
User Info
I too find that Mike's soaps really need more water and longer loading than many others. The end result, thick/protective/slick/wonderfully scented lather! His shaving soap is hard to beat, especially with a ~ 4" puck to load my large brushes on.

63 2,128
 02-20-2013, 09:11 PM
User Info
As the other lads have said, load for longer and add water little by little. If you want it easier, use filtered or distilled water.
One of the best soaps that i have ever tried, especially, the Lemongrass & Eucalyptus. Good luck.

75 20,883
 02-21-2013, 02:12 AM
User Info
I use Mike's shaving sticks. What works for me is to twist it up about an inch, fill my sink full of hot water and soak the tip of it while I take a shower.

I find when I get out and rub it on my face it lets go of a lot more soap that way. Using this method always gets me plentiful lather. This also works with MWF.

1 283
 02-21-2013, 05:08 PM
  • srgjazz
  • Santa Monica
User Info
I used the tgutc method and got great results.

44 633
 02-22-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
Last night I was able to experiment a little. I dribbled some water on the top while the sink filled and drained it off. I then used a brush with way more water than normal and held the tin over the sink and filled until the overly wet soap suds condensed to a thicker lather.

This helped as the 2nd pass coat was much thicker than previous shaves. I'll be playing around more as time allows.

0 46
 02-23-2013, 04:44 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I apologise if this has already been stated (I didn't read the entire thread) the solution to building lather (with any soap, cream or crop) lies in MORE loading (ie product) or MORE water. That's it!

As for me, I've never encountered an issue lathering MSN, but I've always loaded sufficiently and never been too shy to add more water.

Sometimes you will use too much product, but you will be rewarded with a thick, slick, cushioning pillow of lather that makes the waste (if you see it that way) worthwhile...

Sometimes you will will add too much water, but some extra whipping will soon solve that...

91 17,851
 02-23-2013, 05:40 AM
User Info
(02-23-2013, 04:44 AM)ben74 Wrote: I apologise if this has already been stated (I didn't read the entire thread) the solution to building lather (with any soap, cream or crop) lies in MORE loading (ie product) or MORE water. That's it!

As for me, I've never encountered an issue lathering MSN, but I've always loaded sufficiently and never been too shy to add more water.

Sometimes you will use too much product, but you will be rewarded with a thick, slick, cushioning pillow of lather that makes the waste (if you see it that way) worthwhile...

Sometimes you will will add too much water, but some extra whipping will soon solve that...

+10

64 796