02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I have grabbed an Ikon handle on BST with intention to use it on my Gillette New LC. I really love my New LC, but the original ball end handle, although cool and vintage looking, is too skinny and too light. So I got an SS Ikon handle, that I believe is a Bulldog (correct me if I am wrong). Upon initial fitting it to the New LC base plate I realized that the Ikon handle is too big at the very top where it need to fit between the ridges. It will still tighten down the head and probably work okay, but just does not look or feel right. The pressure from tightening down the head all rests on two points where the handle lands on the ridges. Ikon being a solid stainless steel handle I decided to create a bevel in the end of the handle to make it fit between the ridges. I don't have a lathe, but I do have a drill press. I chucked the handle up into the drill press with the threaded tip pointing down. I then used a flat file to take some material off the very edge of the handle tip to create a bevel and reduce the diameter of the end of the handle. The difference was a no more than 0.040", so there wasn't a lot of material to be removed. I then used fine grits of sandpaper up to 600 to remove file marks and then took my rotary tool with polishing wheel/compound to it to completely remove any signs of my modification. I ended up with an Ikon handle that works perfectly in the New now and still works in all the razors it fit before the mod. I am very happy. Will try the New with the Ikon handle tomorrow ahead of the Little Bastone (looks way aggressive).

I did not take "before" pictures, but I have just received a RazoRock Little Bastone razor from IB and that has exactly the same issue as far as the New goes. So, I took pictures of how the RazoRock handle fits on the New LC head to illustrate the problem I had with the Ikon handle.

Here is the modified Ikon handle next to the original ball end handle.

Here's the modified Ikon handle on the New head.

Here's the original handle mounted

25 1,705
 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi

Nicely done, that's a nice little modification to ensure the *perfect* fit.

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
You did a very nice job modifying the iKon handle. I can't tell if you have the bulldog or not but if you bought it within the last year it probably is a bulldog. I have a Cadet OC head fitted to an iKon bulldog and no modification was necessary. The Cadet & Little Bastone are the same. From your photo the head and handle fit like a glove. Congratulations and happy shaving.

100 12,436
 02-19-2013, 07:06 PM
User Info
Job well done! Looks perfect.

24 1,150
 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Wow that's impressive. Very well done.

45 3,955
 02-19-2013, 07:17 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
I call that a win.

Nicely done...

33 914
 02-19-2013, 07:31 PM
User Info
Makes me wish I had a drill press. Something to think about.

24 1,150
 02-19-2013, 08:00 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-19-2013, 07:31 PM)brothers Wrote: Makes me wish I had a drill press. Something to think about.

I've been wanting a drill press for a long time and I finally snatched one on Craigslist. It's a benchtop Delta unit, but plenty powerful for most things I need to do. I built a table with a fence for it for woodworking needs. Today I used it really "outside the box" to modify the Ikon handle. It just occurred to me and I had to make sure the chuck wasn't going to damage the handle. Nope, it did fine. I kept it on slow speed and went easy with the file resting on the table. At first I was going to have a completely vertical end, but as I started working it, the bevel just emerged and I though it looks better than just a straight end. Also, the way the ridge is machined on the razor head makes the cone shape actually mate with it better. I also tried this on the Gillette Old, which doesn;t have the ridge, but rather a non-straight (curved) base plate with a machined flat circle of the same size as the ridge space on the New. The two razors share the same ball end handle. The Ikon handle fit perfectly on that also. I am very happy with it. I am planning to use it on the New and Cadet OC and perhaps revisit my EJ DE89 razor with it.

25 1,705
 02-20-2013, 05:21 AM
  • GregDR
  • Illinois
User Info
Great idea! I had the same problem and I just used a small washer around the threads so it would tighten.

53 555
 02-20-2013, 12:32 PM
User Info
Vladimir....so many uses for the drill press. Who would have thought?

51 304
 02-20-2013, 01:08 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-20-2013, 12:32 PM)zeppelinkarte Wrote: Vladimir....so many uses for the drill press. Who would have thought?

Biggrin

It almost paid for itself already. I also used it for my built-in book case project in the living room.

Oh, and some razor base plate drilling...

25 1,705