02-19-2013, 07:05 PM
User Info
I recently posted a question, wondering about different razors, after using a 34C for about a year. Through a very nice PIF from razorx, I received a nice Gem Damaskeene razor in the mail this weekend! And a Schick injector, too!

I've now got 3 shaves with the Gem and it's... well, a gem! At first it seemed strangely small, with a thin handle. But it has nice weight and balance. Being unfamiliar with it, I really took my time on my first shave. After a very light first pass, I was amazed at how smooth my face was. Two more passes for a very nice, close shave. I was impressed! My next two shaves were on busy mornings before work. Results were not as perfect. I had a little weeper on my neck yesterday. That'll show me for getting complacent about a new razor. Third shave this morning was better.

Overall, this seems like a razor that'll easily provide a very close shave. More easily than my old 34C DE. It'll take some more getting used to. I haven't got the feel for it yet. It seems almost too light and ...I don't know, not as solid as my old razor. But the results are very impressive!

I look forward to each new shave with this baby. And now I need to get some injector blades to try that Schick soon too!

Thanks again, Marc!

0 28
 02-19-2013, 07:13 PM
User Info
There we go...that's what I'm talking about! Pretty soon you will be converted to the dark side and become a LOSER! Marc is a great dude and it looks like he set you up proper. The Damaskeene was my favorite razor until it was recently dethroned by a Streamline.

5 938
 02-19-2013, 07:40 PM
User Info
Excellent!

It sounds like Marc did us proud, and you did too. The Dama' is a great little razor. One of the most handsome SE razors too!

How did you like the audio?

32 6,323
 02-20-2013, 12:31 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
No No No they got you too. ahhhh AS I told before they are like drug dealers, first razor come free and before you know it you are hook it on it. You start buying Streamline, OCMM, CPMM, 1914 etc...

Hello,my name is Jack, my Dealer is Brian, he made me SE Addict month ago and cannot survive without it. What is your story? Cool

11 874
 02-20-2013, 12:47 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 12:31 AM)celar36 Wrote: No No No they got you too. ahhhh AS I told before they are like drug dealers, first razor come free and before you know it you are hook it on it. You start buying Streamline, OCMM, CPMM, 1914 etc...

Hello,my name is Jack, my Dealer is Brian, he made me SE Addict month ago and cannot survive without it. What is your story? Cool

Had my first DE shave sometime last August I think and I've been chasing the dragon ever since. Got my fix tonight with my recently acquired Streamline...that's some good sh... Cool

5 938
 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
Yes Streamline is my perfect razor, the handle the weight, Angle and audio feedback just too damm good.

I need to test today my new 1914 and see how it will go.

CPMM and OCMM are great also for me. ohhh and I need to buy DamaskeeneSmile

Its weird that I couldnt find any DE thats suit me and now every single SE fits meSmile

11 874
 02-20-2013, 04:10 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 01:10 AM)celar36 Wrote: Its weird that I couldnt find any DE thats suit me and now every single SE fits meSmile

It's gotta be the blades!

31 7,943
 02-20-2013, 04:36 AM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
Yes Brian is all about flexibility, DE was to flexible for my beard.

I am using the GEM Stainless Steel Coated from ShadowsDad and I have samples of treet and something else from good soul from another forum.

I need to order a pack from Connaught Shaving on the daySmile

11 874
 02-20-2013, 09:49 AM
User Info
There ya go Don....I'm glad you had a nice run with your first single edge razor.And thanks for the kind words y'all,It was only my first PIF and with all the shaving wisdom that's been sent my way and offers to let me try this or that,it's about time I gave something back.

About those Single Edge razors Don...You're going from a Double Edge world that's trending towards heavy razors loaded with thin wispy little DE Blades to razors that hold more robust thicker longer lasting Double Edge blades that don't oscillate as they're working.

Many of the SE razors come from a time where for the most part razors were smaller and thinner and your fingers could actually perceive some tactilte feedback.

A light responsive razor loaded with a sturdy blade that dominates whiskers without irritating skin....No wonder I like 'em so much.

Good luck with the Shick it's just another single edge at heart,if that green G series doesn't do it for you there's ones more aggressive or milder that may impress you.

7 414
 02-20-2013, 08:13 PM
User Info
Thanks again, Marc.

I know what you mean about the feedback. It's like you can hear and feel each whisker popping as it's cut. I could hear the cut with my DE, but it is more pronounced with this razor.

After using the SE for a while, I'll try the DE again and see how it feels. But for now, I'm having fun with it!

0 28
 02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 08:13 PM)Phaedris Wrote: Thanks again, Marc.

I know what you mean about the feedback. It's like you can hear and feel each whisker popping as it's cut. I could hear the cut with my DE, but it is more pronounced with this razor.

After using the SE for a while, I'll try the DE again and see how it feels. But for now, I'm having fun with it!

Don...This was good for me to read,I should give my DE's a try sometime now that it's been quite a while.I found the Gillette Old and Single Ring specifically the ones produced before 1922 offered the best performance.

He's a few pictures from my Double Edge Days:

[Image: securedownload-26.jpg]

[Image: OldBamboo.jpg]

[Image: IMG_3122.jpg]

[Image: securedownload-14.jpg]

[Image: S3S44.jpg]

[Image: securedownload-8-1.jpg]

7 414
 02-21-2013, 02:19 AM
User Info
Wait till you try a Micromatic. You'll be hooked for sure, then.

1 283
 02-22-2013, 04:40 PM
User Info
Nice looking DE razors, Marc. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them again after having been lured to the SE side. Maybe you'll mix things up.

Lance, I'm new to this SE thing, so a micromatic won't likely be an immediate try, but you never know. From what I read, it seems like the Micromatic can be aggressive, touchy?

0 28
 02-22-2013, 07:48 PM
User Info
The OCMM requires good technique Don. I suspect folks have problems with it when their confidence exceeds their ability. It has been known to tear folks up but it's nothing to fear if you have your technique firmly nailed down.

32 6,323
 02-22-2013, 10:50 PM
User Info
If the OCMM scares you a bit, try the Clog Pruf MM. I find it to be mildly aggressive.

5 938
 02-24-2013, 01:35 PM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 04:40 PM)Phaedris Wrote: Nice looking DE razors, Marc. I'd be interested to hear what you think of them again after having been lured to the SE side. Maybe you'll mix things up.

Thankyou Don,everything in those pictures except the NOS 1949 Superspeed and 1918 US ARMY issue Gillette head are modern razors/handles and have found new homes.

The DE razors I prefer most and have kept were all built prior to 1922,the early Single Ring and original Ball End OLD are outstanding.

At your suggestion,today I had my first Double Edge shave in the past 6 months or so and used one of my Single Rings with an Astra SP Blade on board.Didn't miss a beat,angle and performance right on....addded to that is with some new things I'm doing,my lather quality is 6 months better.

It really wasn't a huge step in a different direction as I believe the older Single Rings and OLD's of the WWI Era have much more in common with Single Edge Razors than the species that Double Edge razors later mutated into over the years.

Great to have revisited my Single Ring today,it was a wonderful shave,the only DE that gives my Single Edge razors any sort of competition.I'm considering making my Single Ring or 1918 US ARMY issue OLD my dedicated Weekend Razor.The honor's deserved and it would help me make my my stash of Single Edge and Injector blades last 25 percent longer...

Note thinness and curvature of the cap and baseplate: Idea

[Image: A9.jpg]

[Image: A5.jpg]

7 414
 02-27-2013, 09:38 PM
User Info
GEM DAMASKEENE is my favorite razor of all... very smooth but very close shave... the best of both worlds Cool

11 182