02-19-2013, 10:52 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Chaps

I have no experience with the Gillette New and wonder what people have to say about theirs and any recommendations for a specific model. How would it compare to another Gillette, for example a Fat Boy or a Tech?

I trust the opinions here. When I have gathered the information I will start the hunt for one (in good condition).

I live in Sydney Australia. I never see these items come up for sale here; perhaps it's just my bad timing.

Thanks for your time.

0 1,732
 02-20-2013, 12:58 AM
  • Hanzo
  • Oakland, California
User Info
The Long comb New is a good combo of close shaving with smoothness particularly if you have a coarse beard. The short comb New is more aggressive and shaves about the same as an Old Type , will whip a coarse beard into submission.

They shave more aggressively than most all the safety bar Gillettes I used and at one time loved News because I have a coarse and they did the business whereas with safety bar Gillettes I struggled for closeness.

On ebay good condition News can be found for $25 or so , they are not collected so easy to acquire. The Razorock Cadet 3 piece I think comes close to the Long Comb New but maybe a just tad more aggressive.

15 541
 02-20-2013, 01:25 AM
User Info
I'm confused Huh Blush

Do Gillette still make DE Razors in other parts of the world Huh

I would love to try some of the Gillette DE razors, but I don't use used gear, so not going to happen unless they sell some new DE razors in other places of the world....

24 5,839
 02-20-2013, 02:19 AM
  • Exapno
  • Northampton, England
User Info
Gillette haven't made DE razors for many, many years. The only way you would get one unused is to find NOS (new old stock) unopened razors but they are hard to find. The 'New' is a gillette open comb DE razor (from the 1930s I think).

0 132
 02-20-2013, 03:29 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-20-2013, 12:58 AM)Hanzo Wrote: The Long comb New is a good combo of close shaving with smoothness particularly if you have a coarse beard. The short comb New is more aggressive and shaves about the same as an Old Type , will whip a coarse beard into submission.

They shave more aggressively than most all the safety bar Gillettes I used and at one time loved News because I have a coarse and they did the business whereas with safety bar Gillettes I struggled for closeness.

On ebay good condition News can be found for $25 or so , they are not collected so easy to acquire. The Razorock Cadet 3 piece I think comes close to the Long Comb New but maybe a just tad more aggressive.

Thanks for this information Smile

0 1,732
 02-20-2013, 12:31 PM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 02:19 AM)Exapno Wrote: Gillette haven't made DE razors for many, many years. The only way you would get one unused is to find NOS (new old stock) unopened razors but they are hard to find. The 'New' is a gillette open comb DE razor (from the 1930s I think).

Thanks !

24 5,839
 02-20-2013, 03:27 PM
User Info
IMHO... the Gillette NEW is one of the best OC (open comb) razors available. The head with the long teeth is great for a bit gentler shave and the short tooth version is great for a close, smooth shave. The short tooth version is easier to use than the OLD version Gillette with the buttons on the bottom of the head. Look at pictures of Ebay razors carefully for bent teeth on the heads. Many of the sellers on Ebay won't know what version they have up for auction. Either variation of the Gillette New is a winner. Smile

1 346
 02-20-2013, 08:57 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-20-2013, 03:27 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: IMHO... the Gillette NEW is one of the best OC (open comb) razors available. The head with the long teeth is great for a bit gentler shave and the short tooth version is great for a close, smooth shave. The short tooth version is easier to use than the OLD version Gillette with the buttons on the bottom of the head. Look at pictures of Ebay razors carefully for bent teeth on the heads. Many of the sellers on Ebay won't know what version they have up for auction. Either variation of the Gillette New is a winner. Smile

So, the bent teeth ones (as such) are the 'short tooth', right?

0 1,732
 02-21-2013, 02:22 AM
User Info
Maybe I'm weird but I don't think the short comb NEW is anywhere close as aggressive as an Old Type.

In fact, I think it's a pussycat in comparison. In my opinion I would rank these razors in terms of mildness going:

Short comb NEW
Long comb NEW
Old Type

1 283
 02-21-2013, 02:41 AM
  • Shaun
User Info
Interesting. I wouldn't know, but it's good to have different points of view.

I don't want a face ravager, but I don't want a kitten either. Maybe the long comb would be a good middle ground? How would you compare it with, say, a Merkur 34C HD?

0 1,732
 02-21-2013, 11:26 AM
User Info
Shaun, you can always add a shim or 2 to raise the aggressiveness. I do that regularly with my 3 piece razors.

32 6,445
 02-21-2013, 11:34 AM
User Info
(02-21-2013, 11:26 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Shaun, you can always add a shim or 2 to raise the aggressiveness. I do that regularly with my 3 piece razors.

Since OC razors don't have a blade gap, wouldn't doing this really change the razor a lot?

10 1,858
 02-21-2013, 04:55 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
I LOVE the long-comb NEW. I get some of my best DE shaves with mine. Once you get the angle right they shave like dream! Unfortunately the plating on them wasn't the best, so most NEWs that I've seen have quite a bit of plating loss. I also see people polishing off all the plating to create a part copper, part brass look that is interesting.

I'm generally not a fan of the concept of replating, but I think I'll make an exception with my LC NEW and replate it in nickel or chrome.

(02-20-2013, 08:57 PM)Shaun Wrote: So, the bent teeth ones (as such) are the 'short tooth', right?
No... The "curved" or "droopy" teeth are the long-comb, the straighter ones that look more like an Old-Type are the short comb

0 912
 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Shaun, unfortunately, I see many different opinions on the Gillette New and I have to add another yet different experience. there are three "New" heads. One of them is strictly speaking not "New", but rather "New Improved". "New Improved" head is actually the predecessor to the other two types of "New". "New Improved" referred to "Old" which it replaced. I have not tried the "New Improved", but I have tried the "Old" and both types of "New". My experience is that the "Old" is the mildest one, the New Short Comb is the next in aggressiveness and New Long Comb is the most aggressive of the three. Having said that, I can tell you that even the most aggressive Long Comb is a mild OC razor. Modern OC offerings such as FaTip/Jorris, Cadet, etc. are much more aggressive. Gillette New Long Comb is one of the best all around OC razors out there. It is not very aggressive, but if you do not have good technique it will burn. Short comb I found milder, but still a wonderful razor. I sold the SC, but now wish I didn't and may replace it. They are easy to come by and are not expensive, especially in user grade. Often times they come with ball end handles that are almost always cracked. No big deal, they are easy to fix with some epoxy. Bar end handles are not prone to this and a good number of New's come with those. I still recommend fitting a good modern stainless handle to one. It really makes a good improvement. Here is a link to "that other" forum where someone actually took pictures of all the various Gillette OC razors and measured the various parameters such as blade gap, blade exposure and angle of attack. Very informative and telling. Explains a lot. I am currently looking for a "New Improved" Gillette since I never tried one and it's supposed to be a bit more aggressive than long comb. I would like that. So, I hope I haven't confused you, but have a look at the pictures and make your own judgements.

26 1,736
 02-21-2013, 05:12 PM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 08:57 PM)Shaun Wrote:
(02-20-2013, 03:27 PM)MsBlackwolf Wrote: IMHO... the Gillette NEW is one of the best OC (open comb) razors available. The head with the long teeth is great for a bit gentler shave and the short tooth version is great for a close, smooth shave. The short tooth version is easier to use than the OLD version Gillette with the buttons on the bottom of the head. Look at pictures of Ebay razors carefully for bent teeth on the heads. Many of the sellers on Ebay won't know what version they have up for auction. Either variation of the Gillette New is a winner. Smile

So, the bent teeth ones (as such) are the 'short tooth', right?
No, the ones with bent teeth have been dropped or damaged. The teeth should be evenly spaced along both sides of the head. The short and long has to do with the actual length of the teeth.

1 346
 02-21-2013, 05:28 PM
  • Shaun
User Info
(02-21-2013, 05:09 PM)vferdman Wrote: Shaun, unfortunately, I see many different opinions on the Gillette New and I have to add another yet different experience. there are three "New" heads. One of them is strictly speaking not "New", but rather "New Improved". "New Improved" head is actually the predecessor to the other two types of "New". "New Improved" referred to "Old" which it replaced. I have not tried the "New Improved", but I have tried the "Old" and both types of "New". My experience is that the "Old" is the mildest one, the New Short Comb is the next in aggressiveness and New Long Comb is the most aggressive of the three. Having said that, I can tell you that even the most aggressive Long Comb is a mild OC razor. Modern OC offerings such as FaTip/Jorris, Cadet, etc. are much more aggressive. Gillette New Long Comb is one of the best all around OC razors out there. It is not very aggressive, but if you do not have good technique it will burn. Short comb I found milder, but still a wonderful razor. I sold the SC, but now wish I didn't and may replace it. They are easy to come by and are not expensive, especially in user grade. Often times they come with ball end handles that are almost always cracked. No big deal, they are easy to fix with some epoxy. Bar end handles are not prone to this and a good number of New's come with those. I still recommend fitting a good modern stainless handle to one. It really makes a good improvement. Here is a link to "that other" forum where someone actually took pictures of all the various Gillette OC razors and measured the various parameters such as blade gap, blade exposure and angle of attack. Very informative and telling. Explains a lot. I am currently looking for a "New Improved" Gillette since I never tried one and it's supposed to be a bit more aggressive than long comb. I would like that. So, I hope I haven't confused you, but have a look at the pictures and make your own judgements.
This is very valuable information to me and explains things very carefully and succinctly. I am indebted to you, thanks so much.

Shaun

0 1,732
 02-21-2013, 05:29 PM
  • bjorney
  • Los Angeles
User Info
vferdman's link is just what you need to see the difference!

0 912
 02-21-2013, 05:31 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
(02-21-2013, 05:09 PM)vferdman Wrote: Shaun, unfortunately, I see many different opinions on the Gillette New and I have to add another yet different experience. there are three "New" heads. One of them is strictly speaking not "New", but rather "New Improved". "New Improved" head is actually the predecessor to the other two types of "New". "New Improved" referred to "Old" which it replaced. I have not tried the "New Improved", but I have tried the "Old" and both types of "New". My experience is that the "Old" is the mildest one, the New Short Comb is the next in aggressiveness and New Long Comb is the most aggressive of the three. Having said that, I can tell you that even the most aggressive Long Comb is a mild OC razor. Modern OC offerings such as FaTip/Jorris, Cadet, etc. are much more aggressive. Gillette New Long Comb is one of the best all around OC razors out there. It is not very aggressive, but if you do not have good technique it will burn. Short comb I found milder, but still a wonderful razor. I sold the SC, but now wish I didn't and may replace it. They are easy to come by and are not expensive, especially in user grade. Often times they come with ball end handles that are almost always cracked. No big deal, they are easy to fix with some epoxy. Bar end handles are not prone to this and a good number of New's come with those. I still recommend fitting a good modern stainless handle to one. It really makes a good improvement. Here is a link to "that other" forum where someone actually took pictures of all the various Gillette OC razors and measured the various parameters such as blade gap, blade exposure and angle of attack. Very informative and telling. Explains a lot. I am currently looking for a "New Improved" Gillette since I never tried one and it's supposed to be a bit more aggressive than long comb. I would like that. So, I hope I haven't confused you, but have a look at the pictures and make your own judgements.

Interestingly I've found the order of aggressiveness to be reversed with the Long Comb NEW being the least aggressive followed by the Short Comb NEW and then the Old Type.

I guess it might well be a case of YMMV.

There is what I would classify as being a fourth NEW out there - the British NEW.

Whilst the first generation was a direct copy of the US Long Comb NEW there are two other teeth variants (on two different style of heads - as found n the Service Sets, #77/#88, Hollow Ball-end and Tech Handled NEW's).

These variants are distinguished by the thickness of the teeth and both have slightly shorter teeth than a US Long Comb NEW (but are not as short as a Short Comb NEW), and IME give a slightly more aggressive shave (again YMMV).

Ultimately, my feeling is that you can't really go wrong with a NEW; for me they are the most comfortable OC razors ever made.

33 645
 02-21-2013, 06:07 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-21-2013, 05:31 PM)ajc347 Wrote: Interestingly I've found the order of aggressiveness to be reversed with the Long Comb NEW being the least aggressive followed by the Short Comb NEW and then the Old Type.

I guess it might well be a case of YMMV.

There is what I would classify as being a fourth NEW out there - the British NEW.

Whilst the first generation was a direct copy of the US Long Comb NEW there are two other teeth variants (on two different style of heads - as found n the Service Sets, #77/#88, Hollow Ball-end and Tech Handled NEW's).

These variants are distinguished by the thickness of the teeth and both have slightly shorter teeth than a US Long Comb NEW (but are not as short as a Short Comb NEW), and IME give a slightly more aggressive shave (again YMMV).

Ultimately, my feeling is that you can't really go wrong with a NEW; for me they are the most comfortable OC razors ever made.

Yes, the YMMV is a strong factor, I guess. The Old really requires good technique and angle. It seems to either not cut at all or be a very efficient cutter. Any pressure at all is not good with it. New LC is also intolerant of pressure, but if little to no pressure is used it's downright mild, almost like a Tech mild (well, it's been a while since I used a Tech, so take that with a grain of salt). New SC seemed milder still to me, but I do not own one at the moment and back when I made these judgements I thought New LC was a beast of an aggressive razor. Today I think it's a wonderful mild OC with excellent efficiency. There is also a New type of head (US made) that does not have a ridge on the bottom, but rather has a much thicker bottom plate to accommodate the groove. I forget what that one is called, but it is essentially the same as a regular New but with a heavier thicker bottom plate. Without that ridge on the bottom pretty much any handle will fit, whereas in the normal New's the ridge interferes with some of the chunkier handles like Ikon Bulldog. I recently bought such a handle hoping to use it with my New LC and found it was too big at the threaded end to fit between the two halves of the ridge. I ground down the Ikon handle to work with the New head and I can tell you that with a heavier chunkier handle this may be the perfect OC razor. Again, pending my sampling of the New Improved and now that I know about the British versions, perhaps those too. The New of some kind can easily be the daily razor for many people I think. They are that good. To Shaun I would recommend picking up a sample of them in different variations and seeing for himself. If you have a problem finding them down under you can ask one of the US members to find you a couple and ship them over. I've shipped to Australia before and it's well under $20 for a small package. Well worth a try, IMO. I would skip the Old as it's a bit too picky about the angle and then can really burn, but any of the others are well worth a try. New Long Comb being universally thought of the best one of the bunch. Though I believe there is a healthy New Improved following also. I am waiting to find one and try it out.

26 1,736
 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
User Info
(02-21-2013, 11:34 AM)Songwind Wrote:
(02-21-2013, 11:26 AM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Shaun, you can always add a shim or 2 to raise the aggressiveness. I do that regularly with my 3 piece razors.

Since OC razors don't have a blade gap, wouldn't doing this really change the razor a lot?

Well, I don't know about changing them a lot, they are certainly more aggressive, both the OLD and the NEW. I find that I can use them w/o shims, shims just make them better for me; less boring, and an easier, closer result. I even do that with my travel tech, except that's so mild I need to use 2 shims in it.

They're still quite mild, comparitively, with shims, just better.

32 6,445