02-20-2013, 08:40 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
For those that might have used both of these, can you tell me the main difference other than the looks? Is one more forgiving than the other?

Feather DX

Feather SS

173 23,557
 02-20-2013, 08:55 AM
User Info
Johnny, while I don't have either I have been researching these lately.

Here are the main differences I've been able to read about:

#1 - the SS now has a curved/rounded lip which is supposed to protect the skin more (more forgiving) as compared to the pointier edge that the DX and RG (also CJB) have.

[Image: to8DY5e.jpg]

#2 - Weight. The DX is heavier than the SS. From what I've read straight razor users say the DX more closely feels like an actual straight due to the increased weight.

Edit: Just pulled this comparison graphic off of google...

[Image: Compare-Artist-Club-SS-to-DX.JPG]

31 7,914
 02-20-2013, 09:05 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks Brian.

173 23,557
 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM
User Info
Johnny,
Here is a site that breaks down the difference a bit better as well as giving weights of the individual razors.

Hairizon

31 7,914
 02-20-2013, 09:54 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
thanks for the link SharpSpine, didn't see that web site before.

I've had all of the models of Feather and IMHO the SS might be a good choice for someone who is prone to cutting himself with razors, if a person has experience with straights I would advice to go for the DX/RG models.

The SS is a good razor but nowhere able to give me the same stellar shave as the DX/RG. And I like the feel of them better then the SS also.

For those who find the Feather Stainless models a bit to expensive the KAI Captain models are very good alternatives, the head is even somewhat thinner and gives fantastic shaves. If you have money to burn there is the Kai Excelia series, very nicely made but didn't care for the feel in the hand (I like the more rounded handles of the DX/kai captain)

27 1,298
 02-20-2013, 10:23 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 09:54 AM)Snuff Wrote: thanks for the link SharpSpine, didn't see that web site before.

I've had all of the models of Feather and IMHO the SS might be a good choice for someone who is prone to cutting himself with razors, if a person has experience with straights I would advice to go for the DX/RG models.

The SS is a good razor but nowhere able to give me the same stellar shave as the DX/RG. And I like the feel of them better then the SS also.

For those who find the Feather Stainless models a bit to expensive the KAI Captain models are very good alternatives, the head is even somewhat thinner and gives fantastic shaves. If you have money to burn there is the Kai Excelia series, very nicely made but didn't care for the feel in the hand (I like the more rounded handles of the DX/kai captain)

The CJB razor is another that is very similar in head design to the DX/RG. I hope to have one in the next few weeks so I can give some pictures on thoughts on it then.

31 7,914
 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM
User Info
I've owned and shaved with the Feather AC - SS and without doubt loaded with the feather Pro blade will not be beaten when it comes to a close shave, and will cost you in the UK £113, now I've never shaved with the DX, but everyone knows the razor as better materials and is a step up in quality, but here's where they kind of balance out, one they use exactly the same blades, but the DX costs £230 more than double the price, but I will guarantee you will absolutely not receive double the shave quality.

Jamie

5 1,810
 02-20-2013, 11:44 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
@ Jamie If you never shaved with one you wouldn't know would you? ;-)

But I agree you don't get double the shave quality. If only the SS models would exist I don't think it would be my favorite razor, I find it to light, don't like the handle that much, difficult to describe but it just doesn't have it for me.

The Feathers do cost a lot of money in Europe, better to buy on BST or go for the somewhat cheaper KAI Captian versions that certainly can compare to the Feather DX models as far as quality and shaving experience goes.

27 1,298
 02-21-2013, 03:22 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Are the SS versions available in a non-folding configuration?

I used the RG a few years ago..sadly, I had to give up on it because I could not master the folding design..

++++++++++++++++++++edit+++++++++++++++++
Answered my own question...
http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/conten...ack-handle

33 914
 02-22-2013, 08:21 AM
User Info
I have many models of the Feather AC, KAI and one CJB.
The RG model is not in production anymore.

The SS is the smoothest of all this straights.
I prefer the DX and RG models but the SS is also a very good razor.
For the beginner of this straight, the SS is the best decision, thoroughly, clean and very smooth.

17 908
 03-11-2013, 02:09 AM
User Info
I have an ss on order & will be anticipating its arrival even more now , this is a very informative thread .
now i will just need to research the different blades ,Thanks guys

0 15
 03-11-2013, 09:10 AM
User Info
Enjoy it. It's a great razor Smile

17 908
 03-13-2013, 07:42 AM
User Info
One thing that has kind of been making me wonder about the new SS.. is that the curved "bump" on the SS near the edge forces a certain cutting angle - wouldn't this be less desirable for an ATG pass, where you would want the blade to be at a very low angle? I know one of the reasons I like straight razors is the versatility of them, and the ability to run an ATG pass at about 10 degrees, etc. Maybe I am reading too much into it - I have not used one yet. Any thoughts?

0 41
 03-13-2013, 11:31 PM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
For me the curved bump didn't make for a better shave, it might be a little bit better for someone who never has used a straight or a Feather razor before in preventing cuts and nicks.

I very much prefered the RG and DX models (and the KAI models too) instead of the SS models. You have a point about the ATG pass, that works better without the bump IMHO. But unless you try for yourself you won't know what is your preference. For a guy who uses straights I would advice not to buy the SS.

In fact it's better to buy none at all, in my case the straights where no longer my go to razors once I tried a Feather :-)

27 1,298
 03-17-2013, 04:54 AM
User Info
My ss arrived I fitted the pro blade & tried it out on my first customer ... Fantastic result !
I am so impressed with it that I am considering getting a DX as well ..as a heavier razor is my preference, I feel working with the two ( ss for detail work mouth area etc ) will give me a good set up for my barbering .

0 15
 03-17-2013, 05:31 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Good to hear that things have worked out for you. I never had any problems when I started with the Feather razors but I was really nervous when I had to shave someone else for the first timeScared

It's something else to shave yourself, when you shave another person you want to make no mistakes, lucky for me it was ok.

You will probably like the DX even more.

27 1,298
 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM
User Info
I have found an RG for for a great price £83.00 !!!
As you can imagine at that price I have gone ahead & ordered it .

I neglected to mention in my previous post that I had a customer in yesterday who had an incredibly tough beard
He claims that a blade rarely gets him 2 shaves ????? So I took extra care prepping him with hot towels proraso pre shave
Etc I started using my freshly honed & stropped hollow ground German straight ..... It was horrible it felt like I was trying to cut wire wool I was having to continually re lather & it was taking forever Sad
Mid way I decided to try the feather ss after just the first stroke he muttered that feels better & it was !!!!
I finished the shave & the customer was very happy , we had a chat about his personnel shaving regime & he is now interested in purchasing a safety razor from me along with feather blades , all because he immediately felt the difference the Japanese feather blade made .
This is just my personal experience & I know some people may try to jump all over this & feel I may not be applying my trade properly so be it this is a forum after all & everyone's different but I have been won over by this razor based on using it in my shop & it will be my tool of choice from now on .

0 15
 03-17-2013, 07:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Mark, where is your shop?

173 23,557
 03-17-2013, 08:18 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(03-17-2013, 07:15 AM)mark gwilliam Wrote: This is just my personal experience & I know some people may try to jump all over this & feel I may not be applying my trade properly so be it this is a forum after all & everyone's different but I have been won over by this razor based on using it in my shop & it will be my tool of choice from now on .

Although I loved straights it has become my tool of choice also. I've tried many blades honed by different people and nothing comes close to the Feather razors for me. I don't think anyone will jump all over this, after all don't we all use what works best for us personally?

27 1,298
 03-17-2013, 09:03 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Ive been using a feather ss with the super pro blades i love it i hope to work my way up to a RG/DX/Kai pretty soon!! My neck always seemed to have a little irritation with my de razors but with the ss theres none. Snuff i,ve got a Kai and a DX ordered just waiting on them any advice on switching from the ss over to them?

115 1,692