06-13-2013, 03:56 PM
User Info
Great feedback. Glad you are finding something that works well for you and your beard Biggrin

One further thing I would like to add is that as you get more experienced with a str8 razor, and continue to fine-tune your shave process/technique, you might find (like I did) that blades that did not worked well earlier, might work better now. So don't rush to throw away/trade the "bad" blades just yet. Just keep using the ones you like for now, and continue to perfect your technique.

Will

Ah, and I forgot to post, I recently got a DX to go with my RD:
[Image: DSCF0652.JPG]

Both are equally great, which makes the RG the better buy since it is nearly 1/2 the cost as the DX.

Will

0 90
 06-14-2013, 03:53 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I had to borrow what use to be my Artist Club SS from my oldest son. It was a pleasure using it this morning and will do so for a few days before I send it back to him. I think I shall have to get another one of these.

[Image: fLyL6gn.jpg]

179 23,931
 06-14-2013, 04:38 AM
  • ben74
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(06-13-2013, 03:56 PM)wquiles Wrote: Great feedback. Glad you are finding something that works well for you and your beard Biggrin

One further thing I would like to add is that as you get more experienced with a str8 razor, and continue to fine-tune your shave process/technique, you might find (like I did) that blades that did not worked well earlier, might work better now. So don't rush to throw away/trade the "bad" blades just yet. Just keep using the ones you like for now, and continue to perfect your technique.

Will

Ah, and I forgot to post, I recently got a DX to go with my RD:
[Image: DSCF0652.JPG]

Both are equally great, which makes the RG the better buy since it is nearly 1/2 the cost as the DX.

Will

Will, I have to agree that the RG represents a better investment, I also find there is slightly less drag.

99 18,011
 03-07-2015, 11:20 AM
User Info
(03-07-2015, 11:14 AM)A CUT ABOVE   I have both the SS and DX in the straight handle.  I like the SS for ease of use but the DX feels better and is more like a regular straight edge.  It took more time to adjust to the angle on the SS then the DX.  I also like the weight on the DX.  Just lay it down flat and let the weight of the razor do the work.  I use the pro blade and it doesn\t get any better.  Very smooth shaves with little or no irritation.  Started  wet shaving again after 45 years and love it.  If you want to use the Rolls Royce of safety razors, try the Feather stainless.  Worth the money. Wrote:
(02-20-2013, 08:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: For those that might have used both of these, can you tell me the main difference other than the looks? Is one more forgiving than the other?

Feather DX

Feather SS

6 166
 03-08-2015, 06:51 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 11:44 PM)Snuff Wrote: @ Jamie If you never shaved with one you wouldn't know would you? ;-)

But I agree you don't get double the shave quality. If only the SS models would exist I don't think it would be my favorite razor, I find it to light, don't like the handle that much, difficult to describe but it just doesn't have it for me.

The Feathers do cost a lot of money in Europe, better to buy on BST or go for the somewhat cheaper KAI Captian versions that certainly can compare to the Feather DX models as far as quality and shaving experience goes.

I agree with your evaluation.  I have both the SS and DX.  I like the DX better for the weight and handle.  I don't have to experiment as much with the angle on the DX as the SS. I was surprised after 45 years and going back to wet shaving how close with no irritation you get with the Feathers.

6 166
 03-08-2015, 05:55 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I have never used the DX but I thoroughly enjoy my AC-SS. I will be using it tomorrow. I try to use it for seven days in a row before going back to one of my DE razors. Just makes for a nice change of pace.

[Image: Y4eeeUi.jpg]

179 23,931
 03-09-2015, 05:32 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(03-08-2015, 05:55 PM)Johnny Wrote: ........I try to use it for seven days in a row before going back to one of my DE razors.  Just makes for a nice change of pace.

I tried this last week...  Didn't go so well.

I use straights about 98% of the time.  Last week I committed to a multi-day cycle with the Dx Kami and a Kai Mild blade.  The shave is absolutely BBS and effortless.  I can get a the same results with two passes as I get with a DE or regular straight in three plus a touch up.  However, the Feather series blades are so darn sharp, it's hard to get a shave with no irritation.  The pressure needs to be so 'feather' light or these blades take a layer of skin with them.  I have both a folding Dx and a Mongoose in the mail so I can diagnose whether it's the blade, the configuration or operator error..  

That said, I still prefer the Dx to any of the other options...

33 914
 03-10-2015, 04:02 PM
User Info
(03-09-2015, 05:32 AM)MikekiM Wrote:
(03-08-2015, 05:55 PM)Johnny Wrote: ........I try to use it for seven days in a row before going back to one of my DE razors.  Just makes for a nice change of pace.

I use straights about 98% of the time.  Last week I committed to a multi-day cycle with the Dx Kami and a Kai Mild blade.  The shave is absolutely BBS and effortless.  I can get a the same results with two passes as I get with a DE or regular straight in three plus a touch up.  However, the Feather series blades are so darn sharp, it's hard to get a shave with no irritation.  The pressure needs to be so 'feather' light or these blades take a layer of skin with them.  I have both a folding Dx and a Mongoose in the mail so I can diagnose whether it's the blade, the configuration or operator error..  

6 166
 03-10-2015, 04:09 PM
User Info
(03-10-2015, 04:02 PM)A CUT ABOVE - I was going to use the DX & SS as a change of pace on weekends.  I found I like the DX so much I am using it the most.  I use a Feather pro-glide blade and get a very smooth shave with very little worry of nicks or irritation.  I do use the Pro blades once a week for a change.  I also find I can get the same or better shaves with 2 passes of the DX compare to 3 with a DE so there isn\t much difference in time.MikekiM Wrote:
(03-09-2015, 05:32 AM)MikekiM Wrote:

6 166
 08-24-2015, 10:52 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 09:54 AM)Snuff Wrote: thanks for the link SharpSpine, didn't see that web site before.

I've had all of the models of Feather and IMHO the SS might be a good choice for someone who is prone to cutting himself with razors, if a person has experience with straights I would advice to go for the DX/RG models.

The SS is a good razor but nowhere able to give me the same stellar shave as the DX/RG. And I like the feel of them better then the SS also.

For those who find the Feather Stainless models a bit to expensive the KAI Captain models are very good alternatives, the head is even somewhat thinner and gives fantastic shaves. If you have money to burn there is the Kai Excelia series, very nicely made but didn't care for the feel in the hand (I like the more rounded handles of the DX/kai captain)

How does the Kai Captain compare to the Feather DX in weight.  I never had a Kai but have had the SS & DX folding.  Like the DX shave and weight.

6 166
 09-26-2015, 08:01 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 09:54 AM)Snuff Wrote: thanks for the link SharpSpine, didn't see that web site before.

I've had all of the models of Feather and IMHO the SS might be a good choice for someone who is prone to cutting himself with razors, if a person has experience with straights I would advice to go for the DX/RG models.

The SS is a good razor but nowhere able to give me the same stellar shave as the DX/RG. And I like the feel of them better then the SS also.

For those who find the Feather Stainless models a bit to expensive the KAI Captain models are very good alternatives, the head is even somewhat thinner and gives fantastic shaves. If you have money to burn there is the Kai Excelia series, very nicely made but didn't care for the feel in the hand (I like the more rounded handles of the DX/kai captain)

I took your advice and purchased the Kai Captain.  I've owned all the Feathers and either sold or gave one to my son-in-law.  Pros:  I really like the thinner head.  Shaves almost like a straight.  Uses Kai or Feather blades and the head is almost identical to the Feather if not the same.  Handle feels better then the Feather.  Cons:  You get what you pay for.  Handle is very cheap and held together on one end with elastic band.  You can also see the difference in the head material.  If you are going to use this every day or even a lot, go with the Feather DX.  I use it for travel so I can live with the cheaper model.  It does give a very good shave.

6 166
 09-26-2015, 08:47 AM
  • Obie
  • Glendale, Wisconsin
User Info
Gentlemen,

I have used both of these razors, and currently have only the DX pearl. The Feather AC DX is a great shaver. The SS is a good shaver, too, but I disliked the rounded edge. It is true that the traditional straight razor is more forgiving, but even that requires the utmost care. I think every shave den should have the Feather AC DX. I use mine mostly for travel, with the double edge as backup. Good stuff.

153 3,129
 09-26-2015, 09:43 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Wink  That elastic band (there are several colors inside the box) is only intended for barbers (or users) who have multiple razors to see what razor has been used for who and not too hold the handle together.

28 1,449
 09-26-2015, 09:44 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
@ A Cut Above: That elastic band (there are several colors inside the box) is only intended for barbers (or users) who have multiple razors to see what razor has been used for who and not too hold the handle together.  Wink

28 1,449
 11-02-2015, 07:02 PM
User Info
(09-26-2015, 09:43 AM)Snuff Wrote: Wink  That elastic band (there are several colors inside the box) is only intended for barbers (or users) who have multiple razors to see what razor has been used for who and not too hold the handle together.
Thank you for that.  I learned something new today.

6 166
 10-12-2017, 11:11 AM
User Info
(02-20-2013, 08:40 AM)Johnny Wrote: For those that might have used both of these, can you tell me the main difference other than the looks? Is one more forgiving than the other?

Feather DX

Feather SS

6 166
 10-12-2017, 11:21 AM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 11:11 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:

Feather DX

Feather SS

Over the years I have owned Feather DX and SS folding and non-folding razors.  My complaint with the SS was the scales are just to light for the razor.  It feels very light and unbalanced in your hand and when I shave I just don't feel like I have good control.  I decided recently to purchase a SS with the express purpose of changing the scales to see if that really made a difference.  I put on a pair of wood scales I had and took it out for a shave.  It felt like a completely different razor.  More weight, better feel and balance and the shave was much more comfortable.  If you have an SS that your not happy with, try changing the scales.  After 3 shaves, really liking this razor.  I like the SS with the new scales better then the DX.

Attached Files Image(s)

6 166
 10-13-2017, 06:21 AM
User Info
Wow, nicely done!

0 90
 10-23-2017, 10:02 AM
User Info
The problem with the SS is the wavy tang. 
It gets in the way of getting a secure hold of the razor. 
When I got my DX, that was the first thing I noticed, how it just "sticks" to the thumb, that and the impeccable balance. 
On the other hand, the rounder profile of the SS might make it more forgiving to errors, maybe it's psychological, probably is.

6 860
 11-18-2017, 05:45 PM
User Info
(10-12-2017, 11:21 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:
(10-12-2017, 11:11 AM)A CUT ABOVE Wrote:

Feather DX

Feather SS

Over the years I have owned Feather DX and SS folding and non-folding razors.  My complaint with the SS was the scales are just to light for the razor.  It feels very light and unbalanced in your hand and when I shave I just don't feel like I have good control.  I decided recently to purchase a SS with the express purpose of changing the scales to see if that really made a difference.  I put on a pair of wood scales I had and took it out for a shave.  It felt like a completely different razor.  More weight, better feel and balance and the shave was much more comfortable.  If you have an SS that your not happy with, try changing the scales.  After 3 shaves, really liking this razor.  I like the SS with the new scales better then the DX.

6 166