01-03-2018, 11:16 AM
User Info
This is a bit of a necropost, but somebody from another forum just send me a Feather SS kamisori-style razor to try out.  

It really scared me at first, to be honest.  The first couple of days I just tried to do WTG on the cheeks only, just to get a feel for it.  And I used my dominant hand for both sides of the face.  

This morning was my 5th (I think) day of trying it.  I started using left hand for the left side of my face yesterday, but still just WTG and cheeks only.  This morning I did two passes on the face, using both hands, and did part of a pass on either side of my neck, and also worked a little bit on the chin area and in the mustache area.  I feel like I am catching on much faster than I thought I would, and I find I get no irritation whatsoever using this razor.  

The chin, mustache area, and jawline still scare me, but I will continue to very gradually experiment and see move to the hard areas once the simple ones can be done relatively quickly and relying on muscle memory.  

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised.  I've always thought that people who use straight razors are some kind of superhumans, but now I think they are just people who were patient enough to learn a skill.  I think it helps that I have been shaving with DEs for almost nine years now, and that I shave every day, so I've had a lot of practice.  My lathers are really good, too.  

Anyway, just wanted to share my newbie enthusiasm.  I never, ever thought I would even really give this a try, let alone switch over, but right now it seems possible that I could switch to something like this for the majority of my shaves, provided I can continue to learn as quickly as I have been.

3 1,937
 01-03-2018, 12:30 PM
User Info
I use one frequently and find it’s even less forgiving than a straight with certain AC blades. If you find yourself shaving efficiently with these in time then a straight razor should come natural with little practice. The major difference being all the non-shaving stuff that goes along with straights like stropping and honing, but the journey is half the fun.

0 276
 01-03-2018, 02:48 PM
User Info
I enjoy my SS Kamisori quite a bit.  It doesn't see as much action now that I use SE razors with AC blades. I still only get a DFS, but can do WTG, ATG and use both hands.  My first few weeks were a little rough, including a 3/4" cut on the jawline...but its all good now!

23 1,938
 01-03-2018, 10:14 PM
User Info
When I first used a Kai kamisori/Feather-pro, I was quite nervous. The actual shaving was just fine - but towards the end of the shave I would get careless when laying the blade against my face, and that led to a few nice weepers. I need to shave WTG, XTG east/west, & ATG to get a DFS - and for me, the kamisori necessitated a high level of concentration for the entire shave. In the end I liked the kamisori, but not enough to keep it in the rotation. Loved the blades though!

31 1,630
 01-04-2018, 11:14 AM
User Info
Well, this morning I completed a two-pass shave of the cheeks and one pass of the neck with the kamisori.  The rest of the shave was with my 1924 Shovelhead, which the more I think about it is not all that much different from a straight.  

It went pretty well except that I got a small area of irritation/razor burn at the base of my neck on the right side.  Wrong angle, too much pressure, skin not stretched enough, or a combination of all three.  It was the first time I had done the neck, so I guess overall I'm still doing pretty well.  No cuts yet (knock on wood).  

I guess, comparatively, I've done pretty well. 6 shaves in, no cuts at all, and only some minor irritation on the neck today.  The chin and mustache area I did not really attempt yet.  Baby steps.

3 1,937
 01-06-2018, 12:13 AM
User Info
(01-03-2018, 11:16 AM)kingfisher Wrote: This is a bit of a necropost, but somebody from another forum just send me a Feather SS kamisori-style razor to try out.  

It really scared me at first, to be honest.  The first couple of days I just tried to do WTG on the cheeks only, just to get a feel for it.  And I used my dominant hand for both sides of the face.  

This morning was my 5th (I think) day of trying it.  I started using left hand for the left side of my face yesterday, but still just WTG and cheeks only.  This morning I did two passes on the face, using both hands, and did part of a pass on either side of my neck, and also worked a little bit on the chin area and in the mustache area.  I feel like I am catching on much faster than I thought I would, and I find I get no irritation whatsoever using this razor.  

The chin, mustache area, and jawline still scare me, but I will continue to very gradually experiment and see move to the hard areas once the simple ones can be done relatively quickly and relying on muscle memory.  

Overall, I have been pleasantly surprised.  I've always thought that people who use straight razors are some kind of superhumans, but now I think they are just people who were patient enough to learn a skill.  I think it helps that I have been shaving with DEs for almost nine years now, and that I shave every day, so I've had a lot of practice.  My lathers are really good, too.  

Anyway, just wanted to share my newbie enthusiasm.  I never, ever thought I would even really give this a try, let alone switch over, but right now it seems possible that I could switch to something like this for the majority of my shaves, provided I can continue to learn as quickly as I have been.

Theres really nothing to be afraid of.  I recently purchased a Feather Artist SS folding and tried it for the first time last night.  I had absolutely zero experience with straights and I was able to get a very close 2-pass shave with it and only got 1 little weeper.  I found it to be very easy to use, although I did use a Feather ProGuard blade.  When I get due for blades, I want to try the Feather Professional as well as the Kai mild blades.  I really liked the result I got from the Proguard though.
Now, Im thinking about picking up a Kamisori style, probably a DX.  I figure the SS will be a great razor to get my feet wet though and if I decide that the Feather is the way I want to go, I can go for the DX.

0 100
 01-08-2018, 09:05 AM
User Info
I have continued using the Kamisori SS, expanding slightly how much area I covered with it each day, finishing the shave with an SE razor.  This morning I did two passes on the cheeks and neck, and one pass on the chin and mustache area.  No cuts or weepers.  Minor irritation on the low neck on the right side.  I am also using left hand for the left side of the face and the right hand for the right side.  

Slowly but surely, I am gaining more skill with this tool.  Downside, if there is one, is that it is really making me want to try a real straight, even though I'm not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole!

3 1,937
 01-11-2018, 05:55 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(01-08-2018, 09:05 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I have continued using the Kamisori SS, expanding slightly how much area I covered with it each day, finishing the shave with an SE razor.  This morning I did two passes on the cheeks and neck, and one pass on the chin and mustache area.  No cuts or weepers.  Minor irritation on the low neck on the right side.  I am also using left hand for the left side of the face and the right hand for the right side.  

Slowly but surely, I am gaining more skill with this tool.  Downside, if there is one, is that it is really making me want to try a real straight, even though I'm not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole!

These are "real" straight razors.  They are sharper than any traditional straight and a bit lower in weight.  The technique is the same for both.  What works for you is a function of how hard it is to cut your beard.  If it is easy to cut then choose whatever you like.  Maintaining the edge is not that hard once you learn how.  The harder it is to cut your beard the harder it will be to find a traditional straight that can smoothly cut it and the better disposable blade straights will work for you.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }

19 571
 01-12-2018, 08:37 AM
User Info
(01-11-2018, 05:55 PM)matloffm Wrote:
(01-08-2018, 09:05 AM)kingfisher Wrote: I have continued using the Kamisori SS, expanding slightly how much area I covered with it each day, finishing the shave with an SE razor.  This morning I did two passes on the cheeks and neck, and one pass on the chin and mustache area.  No cuts or weepers.  Minor irritation on the low neck on the right side.  I am also using left hand for the left side of the face and the right hand for the right side.  

These are "real" straight razors.  They are sharper than any traditional straight and a bit lower in weight.  The technique is the same for both.  What works for you is a function of how hard it is to cut your beard.  If it is easy to cut then choose whatever you like.  Maintaining the edge is not that hard once you learn how.  The harder it is to cut your beard the harder it will be to find a traditional straight that can smoothly cut it and the better disposable blade straights will work for you.

I know that they are technically akin to a straight razor, being that you are shaving with a sharp piece of metal without any safety bar or guard, but when I hear the word "straight razor" I think of the kind that does not have a disposable blade.  The kind a person might have used in the 1800s.  They did not have access to Feather AC blades.  

I really hope what you are saying is not true, because my whiskers are dense, coarse, and hard to cut.  I'm even having a hard time going through the ones on my chin with the Feather AC blade, although I chalk that up to technique more than to the blade, since I can cut them with the same blade in a Colonial General.  

The razor that I sent off to Larry is a very heavy one with a wedge-like blade (it is probably a 1/4 hollow and perhaps a 6/8).  It weighs a ton because the scales are hardwood and metal.  Perhaps the weight of the razor combined with a big, solid blade will be helpful for me (versus a 5/8 with a full hollow, for example)?  I guess once I get the honed razor back from Larry I'll find out first hand.

3 1,937
 01-12-2018, 02:11 PM
User Info
Put it this way............
I've put quite a bit of effort and money into honing my straight razors and I can get them to be as keen as a feather blade for 10 percent, maybe 20 percent, of the time. That is in one year of straight razor shaving experience.

I personally believe that every one who straight shaves should own a feather/Kai or whatever that takes the feather SE blades so that you have a fixed reference on what really keen is.

For a tough beards I've found that prep is key. If I do not prep correctly my shave is always suboptimal regardless of how keen the blade is. What works for me is;
Face lather up a good lather,
Then apply a hot face cloth over the lather and press against skin to steam, and clean the beard.
Hold for say 30 sec. Rub beard with that same wet cloth to clean the skin and beard for a few seconds.
Then soak face cloth and re-apply for 30 seconds.
Then face lather and shave.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

0 11
 01-12-2018, 10:10 PM
User Info
(01-12-2018, 08:37 AM)kingfisher Wrote:
(01-11-2018, 05:55 PM)matloffm Wrote:

I know that they are technically akin to a straight razor, being that you are shaving with a sharp piece of metal without any safety bar or guard, but when I hear the word "straight razor" I think of the kind that does not have a disposable blade.  The kind a person might have used in the 1800s.  They did not have access to Feather AC blades.  

I really hope what you are saying is not true, because my whiskers are dense, coarse, and hard to cut.  I'm even having a hard time going through the ones on my chin with the Feather AC blade, although I chalk that up to technique more than to the blade, since I can cut them with the same blade in a Colonial General.  

The razor that I sent off to Larry is a very heavy one with a wedge-like blade (it is probably a 1/4 hollow and perhaps a 6/8).  It weighs a ton because the scales are hardwood and metal.  Perhaps the weight of the razor combined with a big, solid blade will be helpful for me (versus a 5/8 with a full hollow, for example)?  I guess once I get the honed razor back from Larry I'll find out first hand.

Ive caught myself getting too steep with my angle sometimes, causing the razor to feel tuggy.

0 100
 01-17-2018, 02:56 PM
User Info
I have both, folding, and the DX is by far the better choice. The jimps on the DX make a big difference as it feels more secure in hand and the DX is much better balanced...

8 950
 01-18-2018, 07:27 AM
User Info
This morning I had my 20th consecutive daily shave with the Feather SS kamisori.  It's getting easier and better, although there are still some tough spots that I haven't quite figured out, especially on the right side of the chin.  I'm working on it slowly.  If it get to a point where I don't have any idea what to do or the razor is tugging, etc., I just put it down and use my DE for that spot.  I did two passes on the cheeks and neck without any particular issue.  

I find it a very smooth shaver and gentle, too, despite all the blade feel.

3 1,937
 01-18-2018, 07:45 AM
User Info
The Kamisori is one of my favorite choices for 3+ days of growth when I’m too rushed for stropping duties. It’s almost like the cartoons where they just wipe whiskers off their face. That said AC or true Kamisoris alike, they both require a technique somewhat different than a folding straight razor. I like the variety and challenge of switching it up.

0 276
 04-01-2018, 12:58 PM
User Info
(03-17-2013, 09:50 PM)Snuff Wrote:     The difference is in how far the blade sticks out of the holder

[Image: professionalbrade.jpg]

another good blade is the KAI mild

[Image: kaib.jpg]

hope this helps?

KAI mild is also my preferred blade.  If you want the best of both worlds, take a look at this SS with straight razor scales.  The feel and balance is close to the real straights with the benefit of not honing.

8 180
 05-22-2018, 10:28 AM
User Info
    I really like the SS Folding razor but hate the cheap scales.  I decided to remove the stock scales and replace them with scales off a straight razor.  Wow what a difference.  The weight, balance and shave ability makes this a completely different razor.  Feels and shaves very close to a straight razor.  From what I see and read, most people who try the SS also feel the razor lacks the weight and balance of say the DX or a regular razor.  This really addresses the issue and the razor looks much better.  I prefer the Kai Pink Mild blades but also use the Feather Pro Guard.

8 180