02-20-2013, 10:53 PM
User Info
These photo frame scales are neat. Unfortunately these scales were in sad shape but the blade, and the "photo" were fine.
I found another razor with the same color scales so I took them.
I then went about making a recess for the photo frame to fit into the new scales. It took the usual cutting , testing ,, cutting testing until I got it flush.
I also couldn't attach it the way it was on the original scales which was pinning it through the scale. So I made pockets for the small pins to fit into and act as anchors when I epoxied it it place.
This was a fun evening project and the bit of extra work made it interesting for an otherwise ordinary job.

Apparently I can't attach any more photos because I've reached some sort of limit?

Attached Files Image(s)

0 772
 02-20-2013, 11:30 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Neat! Hopefully it will stay stuck even if the scales flex?
Just out of curiosity....how come you couldn't pin it through the new scales?

wow, I never realized all these were done as attachments on the forum! I knew there was a limit, but no idea what it is...I always just use photobucket

10 411
 02-21-2013, 12:40 AM
User Info
To get the frame out I had to grind the posts so they weren't as long as they once were. And the new scales are just a tad thicker besides.
Flexing ,, or it popping out isn't an issue.

0 772
 02-21-2013, 07:55 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
ah, I didn't realize the original pins were actually attached as posts, I thought I could see an outline on the front of the frame, which made it look like they were just normal pins that were ground/polished flat to the surface. I suppose with how thin it is thought, trying to see if those could pop out and be replaced would most likely damage the frame.

Sorry, not trying to be critical, just trying to learn a few things from these posts. Sometimes it's tricky getting the full idea from looking at pics rather than holding something in your hands

10 411
 02-21-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
Yeah, I saw the outline of the pins as well but there was no way I was going to attempt to remove them and then try an pin them back in place. That silver frame was so fragile that it wasn't worth the risks.
Besides, I was able to grind on the posts with a rotary stone and they had no intention of moving. I'm glad actually.
Now what company ,, or who in their right mind had the bright idea to do this?
I'm amazed at the stuff they did with these razors. I just have to preserve them.

0 772
 02-21-2013, 12:29 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-20-2013, 10:53 PM)mycarver Wrote: Apparently I can't attach any more photos because I've reached some sort of limit?

Hi Mark

Take a look here, new feature added: tiny pic uploader imgur tool (instead).

Alternatively if you used your Flickr account, you could do something like...

Code:
[align=center]
[IMG]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8079/8286328610_da672f2961.jpg[/IMG]
[/align]

Which results in...

[Image: 8286328610_da672f2961.jpg]

Though I've just noticed on Flickr there is now a BBCode option under the "Share" menu, see here: Where is the HTML code and photo file link?

Take care, Mike

Edit: Added "imgur tool" info...

23 1,872
 02-21-2013, 01:27 PM
User Info
I've never experienced this on any of the variety of sites I frequent. I find it a bit odd. Jump through more hoops, pat your head and rub you tummy.
Seems like a sure fire way to keep people from posting or participating. Or just post something every 6 months or so to drag it out.

0 772
 02-21-2013, 05:07 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
Most forums I've ever been on have a limit....if they even allow attachments at all. If you think about it, it uses a lot more bandwidth if those files are all hosted on this server rather than linked to on another server. Most web hosts have tiers for both disk size and bandwidth, so in the long run it could wind up costing a forum a ton of money to allow unlimited uploads (especially if they also allow hotlinking to those files)

10 411
 02-21-2013, 06:57 PM
User Info
Hey, I make a living with a mallet and a chisel. I'm not computer savvy. I'm sure whatever you said is the truth. All I know is I belong to at least 8 sites , some going back 6 + yrs. and post my butt off and I haven't run into this before. Just caught me by surprise is all I'm saying. I've been a member here for what,, a few months and I'm all in?
I'm sure I'm ignorant about such things. I'm here I'm sure as most others are. Show what you did, gab a bit, answer a few questions and have some fun with guys interested in the same subject. Keep it simple and to the point. Show a bunch of photos and see some eye candy.
I'm sure I can upload from my camera to my computer, then to another site, then to this site yada, yada, yada until I finally get to put up a picture. I just didn't see it coming.

0 772
 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I get what you're saying, just thought I'd shed some light on the reason some sites might choose to go that route. You've got your hammer and chisel, I make my living with a keyboard and mouse Biggrin

10 411
 02-22-2013, 10:49 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-21-2013, 06:57 PM)mycarver Wrote: I'm sure I can upload from my camera to my computer, then to another site, then to this site yada, yada, yada until I finally get to put up a picture. I just didn't see it coming.

Hi Mark

There's no need to jump through such hoops, take a look here, imgur tool -- it's a image hosting service that's now being used here on The Shave Nook via a plug-in...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872