02-21-2013, 09:39 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I just received a package from IB that contained my Little Bastone, 4 sticks of Palmolive and two tubs of Proraso soap. A white one, Green Tea and Oat for sensitive skin. My very first real shaving soap was Proraso white tub almost a year ago, which was old Green tea and Aloe formulation. I loved that soap and believe it or not I am almost out (seeing the bottom of the tub!). So I wanted to get some more of that stuff. Mostly I like the scent, but the performance of Proraso can not be faulted. It is wonderful soap and very beginner-friendly and has nice scent and mild menthol cooling. The second tub of Proraso I got is the red one. Sandalwood scent sounded good to me as well as shea butter, but today I shaved with it for the first time and I must say the scent is strangely NOT what I like about sandalwood. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it's way too spicy for me. The performance of the soap is wonderful. Every bit as good as the white tub. the scent, on the other hand leaves me wondering if I can continue using this soap. I am wondering what others that tried this product think. I may be putting this once-lathered tub on the soap exchange thread or BST. It's too bad and I really want to like it because it works so well, but if the scent rubs me the wrong way I will not reach for it. I realize this is their first attempt at sandalwood, so they may reformulate the scent, but this current version is a bit strange and not really what sandalwood smells like. Perhaps it's because real sandalwood oil is very expensive and they synthesized their fragrance for this soap, but I am a bit put off by the scent.

Please share your experiences with this product.

25 1,705
 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
I really enjoy the performance of both it and the cream in the tube. It has a nice light sandalwood scent to me which I prefer more than the heavier sandalwood scents. The performance is top notch

116 3,804
 02-21-2013, 10:23 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Personally I didn't like the scent either. Performance was great though.

45 3,955
 02-21-2013, 10:30 AM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
There are basically 2 types of sandalwood in the shaving world, that I've noticed anyway and they are the synthesized heavy cologne, cheap incense types (TOBS for example), then the more natural scented ones. I've only come across a couple that I enjoyed and that smelled somewhat natural to me and Proraso is one of them. Although, I've only smelled the cream in the tube and haven't got around to buying a tub yet, something I will rectify in the future whenever I actually use up the tube as I prefer the soaps. Anyway, I find the scent pleasing, it's not totally sandalwood scented, it's the predominant scent but there is something else in there, either way I thoroughly enjoy it.

31 1,510
 02-21-2013, 10:35 AM
User Info
I haven't used the tub but I like the cream. I use Proraso red a lot during the fall and winter. I like that it's not 'sandalwood' but 'Proraso sandalwood' if that makes any sense. It is much different than my Jagger sandalwood though and I don't use them interchangeably or really consider them the same.

0 8
 02-21-2013, 10:42 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Thanks for the opinions, gents. It must be something other than sandalwood in there that bugs me. Cinnamon or cloves or something. As I said, I can't put my finger on it. Performance is outstanding, of course as is expected.

@Arcadies, if you would like, you can tempt me with a trade. I literally just test lathered this tub once and shaved with it once this morning. It's 99.9% full. I may try it a few more times and see if the scent grows on me, but this is one of those things that I am pretty certain will continue to bug me.

25 1,705
 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-21-2013, 10:30 AM)Arcadies Wrote: it's not totally sandalwood scented, it's the predominant scent but there is something else in there

I'm pretty sure I can smell the Shea butter, personally. There's a similar note there to one I get from my Provence Sante.

Personally, I like it. I prefer a lighter sandalwood like this one. In fact, I used the cream version last night.

10 1,858
 02-21-2013, 11:54 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
I like the scent, it's kind of a "dirty" sandalwood to my nose. Performance is just o.k. I don't think I'll purchase again, YMMV.

12 743
 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM
User Info
Love the green the red Is okay

Sent from my Amaze 4G

1 67
 02-21-2013, 12:47 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I find the Red soap in the tub performs the best out of all the Proraso soaps for me. Better even than the white tub. For me, the big noticeable difference is in the slickness. I happen to like the scent, fairly understated (for Proraso) and not artificial smelling. Of course, everyone is different so it may not be so great for someone else. I will definitely be buying more of it in the future. It's so good, that it comes in second only to my Mike's soaps for overall performance.

14 870
 02-23-2013, 04:41 PM
User Info
I bought the cream a while back and at first I didn't like it. It didn't smell like what I thought of as sandalwood. Maybe because I had been using some AOS sandalwood, which is a very strong, perfumy sandalwood smell. And Proraso has a smell that I can't quite place, but think of as a 'barber shop' smell.

But my wife liked it, and I developed a liking for it too. I just got a tub of the soap the other day and tried it once so far. The scent is the same, maybe a little more subdued than the cream. I like it. And it is a good quality soap/lather.

Who knows, it might grow on you. It did for me.

0 28
 02-23-2013, 05:02 PM
User Info
This is one of my go to soaps in the colder months. I really like their take on sandalwood. I wish i could find a pomade that smells liken this. If you want to sell it I will buy it.

10 173
 02-23-2013, 06:32 PM
  • daccpa
  • Weber fanboy
  • Middle Tennessee
User Info
Traded my Red off for the same (smell) reason, as a matter of fact I also traded off a new tub of Green as well. The reformulation was a disaster for me (regarding the scent, not the performance) . Right after trading them off I immediately acquired about three tubs of the "Old Green". I won't be buying any more Proraso shave creams / croaps .. too many other great soaps out there.

18 281
 02-24-2013, 09:42 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-23-2013, 06:32 PM)daccpa Wrote: Traded my Red off for the same (smell) reason, as a matter of fact I also traded off a new tub of Green as well. The reformulation was a disaster for me (regarding the scent, not the performance) . Right after trading them off I immediately acquired about three tubs of the "Old Green". I won't be buying any more Proraso shave creams / croaps .. too many other great soaps out there.

I bought the new formulation of white tub together with the red. I really liked the old white formula for the scent and performance and although I have not shaved with the new white yet (trying to finish off the old one) I did test lather it and the scent is very similar. Performance of Proraso has never been a problem for me. Very good stuff. The red is challenging me a bit with the scent. Just a bit too jarring for the morning.

25 1,705
 02-24-2013, 11:43 AM
User Info
I've shaved shaved with the red tub three times as of this morning. Excellent shaves and I quite enjoy the scent. To my admittedly average sniffer, the Proraso sandalwood reminds me of a very slightly more spicy AOS. Although I've never used the old Proraso formulations, I currently also use both the white and green tubs. Only Cella give me shaves as consistently good Proraso. Out of the three, I like the white the best. The most mild fragrance and little bit of menthol. I now need to try the blue; I only wish it came in a tub.

0 386
 02-27-2013, 07:16 PM
User Info
Tried it (red in tub) for the first time tonight. Came to a great full lather fairly quick. I enjoyed the scent. Provided a lot cushion. I liked this better than my green cream in a tube.

0 64
 02-27-2013, 10:53 PM
User Info
One of my favorite Proraso soaps, green is still the best.

2 805
 02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
User Info
I did not like the Red Proraso in the tube one bit. It just stank. I love the new formula Proraso White though.

2 396
 02-28-2013, 09:49 PM
User Info
Is the red tub different than the red tube in any way?

5 413
 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
User Info
OK, I don't have it in a tub, but a tube.

The scent is heavily sandalwood to my nose, but I can live with it. (I'm generally not a lover of strong scents) It could be scented much less and I'd be happier.

The performance is really good!

But vferdman all of that is meaningless to you. If it doesn't work for you it doesn't work. Period.

I've found that few scents please everyone (some seem to however), and everyone picks up scent that the other gent doesn't get at all. Noses and scent receptors are quite individual.

32 6,308