02-21-2013, 11:05 AM
User Info
I normally do not post a where to find things post, but with all the talk about the 7 O'clock SP (dark blue) becoming next to impossible to find and the talk of them no longer being made .....

Go to Amazon, and search for Gillette 7 O'clock super platinum you'll find a couple people still carrying them. None of the prices are great but they are still available from 2 vendors in limited quantity. 25 for $11.85 and 50 (currently getting 60 with an extra 10 free) for $27.99. As I said, not great prices but for those who have to have them .....

129 6,685
 02-21-2013, 11:20 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I just saw that too and thought 5 packs for $11.85 was reasonable.

45 3,955
 02-21-2013, 05:23 PM
User Info
Someone from the other shaving forum told me that Gillette had some QC issues with this particular blade and all the inventory was held back. It's my understanding that it will be back, but who knows how long until they've got enough to replenish retail shops.

1 93
 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Does any body know what's happening with the Gillette 7' O Clock Black's then? They seem to be disappearing as well and those aren't even made in Russia. The vendors that do have any left have raised there prices on them a lot which leads me to believe they aren't getting more.

45 3,955
 02-22-2013, 10:21 AM
User Info
I've seen the Blues and the Blacks at Shoeboxshave.

0 252
 02-22-2013, 06:07 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Yes, but only small amounts available. I like to buy 100 at time.

0 1,620
 02-24-2013, 12:58 AM
User Info
WARNING

I received my blades today. While the pictures are of the dark blue blades, what were shipped were the BLACK blades. These are different blades and IMO inferior to the pictured bades (the well desired Blue Blades). As soon as I figure out how I will attempt to get a refund through Amazon.

How can you show a picture of one thing and ship a totally different item????

129 6,685
 02-24-2013, 09:55 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
(02-24-2013, 12:58 AM)wingdo Wrote: WARNING

I received my blades today. While the pictures are of the dark blue blades, what were shipped were the BLACK blades. These are different blades and IMO inferior to the pictured bades (the well desired Blue Blades). As soon as I figure out how I will attempt to get a refund through Amazon.

That's crazy I can't believe they would try getting away with that.

45 3,955
 02-24-2013, 10:38 AM
User Info
Doug - please let us know how this issue is resolved, as it may happen to other forum members. If needed, you can probably sell genuine 7 o'clock blacks on the BST forum; they are desired by some among us.

15 316
 02-24-2013, 01:28 PM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
(02-24-2013, 09:55 AM)tgutc Wrote:
(02-24-2013, 12:58 AM)wingdo Wrote: WARNING

That's crazy I can't believe they would try getting away with that.

I doubt they are trying to get away with anything and likely just made a mistake. It happens.

45 16,278
 02-24-2013, 02:27 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Often the pictures are not a true representation of the stock item. Erasmic cream, old stock red cap, for example. It's the new formula that's sent; old formula in the pic. I think it's most likely a mistake. People who don't know the difference are not as discerning.

0 1,620
 02-24-2013, 02:53 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
That is very true. Majority of people probably wouldn't have any clue there is a difference between Blue and Black Gillette Platinum Blades.

45 3,955
 02-24-2013, 03:36 PM
User Info
Yes, perhaps the phrase "getting away" was poorly chosen. I just put up the warning here as I am the one who linked the site for the Blue blades and they are not the blue blades for sale.

Amazon has sent me RMAs as well as pre-paid shipping labels for the returns. So all will work out ..... well except for the fact I am still looking for a couple hundred blues. Angry

And no, the warning here applies as I think the membership here is aware of the difference between the two blades.

129 6,685
 02-25-2013, 06:07 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
What a shame. I was gonna pull the trigger today. Thank you for this warning.

I saw that they were available from another seller too. I wonder if they have the advertised blade???

6 905
 02-25-2013, 07:37 AM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 06:07 PM)Shaun Wrote: Yes, but only small amounts available. I like to buy 100 at time.

Of course, but if these blades are actually not in production ( as seems to be a common occurrence for many of the St Petersburg blades ) then any possible source should be shared.

0 252
 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I know I am probably going to get a lot of flack for saying this, but Astra SP are pretty much the same blade (YMMV) at a fraction of the cost and availability is great. why make a big deal and drive prices up? So many blades similar to 7 O'clock SP, even if not identical. Just sit back and enjoy another blade and let Gillette sort out their issues and bring the product back at a reasonable price. If you drive the price up by the knee-jerk panic buying they will likely come back more expensive. It's not like we have no good blades readily available. Not trying to criticize, just trying to calm down the hoarding instinct, which artificially inflates the prices. For me Astra SP and 7 O'clock SP are very similar. Most times I can not tell a difference, but I have not done the scientific double-blind test. No interest in that. I simply feel that I enjoy both blades about the same. If Astras are available at good prices and 7 O'clock SP are not, I will buy Astras. No big deal. I can still get a wonderful shave with a different blade. Relax! It's only shaving Biggrin

25 1,705
 02-25-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
Vferdman makes a good point about alternatives. I acknowledge that the Blue super plats are wonderful blades. As a temporary alternative, may I suggest considering the Gillette Silver Blue blades also made by PPI in St Petersburg. They are widely available (including BullGoose) and a fine blade -- for me at least.

15 316
 02-25-2013, 09:29 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-25-2013, 08:43 AM)vferdman Wrote: I know I am probably going to get a lot of flack for saying this, but Astra SP are pretty much the same blade (YMMV) at a fraction of the cost and availability is great. why make a big deal and drive prices up? So many blades similar to 7 O'clock SP, even if not identical. Just sit back and enjoy another blade and let Gillette sort out their issues and bring the product back at a reasonable price. If you drive the price up by the knee-jerk panic buying they will likely come back more expensive. It's not like we have no good blades readily available. Not trying to criticize, just trying to calm down the hoarding instinct, which artificially inflates the prices. For me Astra SP and 7 O'clock SP are very similar. Most times I can not tell a difference, but I have not done the scientific double-blind test. No interest in that. I simply feel that I enjoy both blades about the same. If Astras are available at good prices and 7 O'clock SP are not, I will buy Astras. No big deal. I can still get a wonderful shave with a different blade. Relax! It's only shaving Biggrin

No flack, as it really is YMMV, but to me Astra is not the same, although it's a smooth blade, not sharp enough, does not last as long.

One thing for sure - no need to drive the prices up as this is not the end of the world if blade is out of production.

88 4,233
 02-25-2013, 10:11 AM
User Info
(02-24-2013, 03:36 PM)wingdo Wrote: Yes, perhaps the phrase "getting away" was poorly chosen. I just put up the warning here as I am the one who linked the site for the Blue blades and they are not the blue blades for sale.

Amazon has sent me RMAs as well as pre-paid shipping labels for the returns. So all will work out ..... well except for the fact I am still looking for a couple hundred blues. Angry

And no, the warning here applies as I think the membership here is aware of the difference between the two blades.

Just looking for these on Amazon when I saw your review Doug. I'll just keep on looking...

97 615
 02-25-2013, 10:31 AM
User Info
The St Petersburg plant has a history of stopping production of a line, and then restarting them at a later time. The Super Iridiums and Polsilvers have both been 'out of production' at certain times and come back.

I imagine the Super Blues shall return at a later date.

0 252