02-21-2013, 06:20 PM
User Info
I really enjoy the scent of the TOBS St. James shaving cream sample I have and will probably order a tub of that. I was also thinking about getting the matching after shave, but wanted to get some feedback first. For those who have it or have used it, how is the performance and the scent?

Thanks!

5 938
 02-22-2013, 12:49 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
I only have the tube, not the tub. Having said that, there was a distinct difference between the Mr Taylor cream and the Mr Taylor in the tub, so much so that they seemed like totally different products. The scent was the same if not a little more concentrated in the tub. With the tub, I found only a tiny bit was required in the tips of the brush to lather up a storm; from the tube, just the standard amount, depending on the brush. Sometimes I find Taylor a little too runny from the tube. Their products are inconsistent that way.

The St James is a great scent though, light, uplifting, a little citrus, a little herbal, but not like the lemon and lime which I really couldn't stand at all. But everyone likes different things, naturally.

From here on I will only ever buy the tubs of Taylor because the tubes are the crappiest things EVER. I have had the tops broken off three tubes in the past and they should really make or use better containers. I remember Taylor in the days of the metal tube and it was so much better, both as a scent and also as a product. I gave my father-in-law some many years ago; when I visit my mother-in-law (father-in-law is now deceased) I use his almond and his sandalwood. MUCH better that the recent stuff, although the sandalwood slightly irritates my skin...only slightly.

I prefer the Mr Taylor for scent over the St James and also as a latherer but the Avocado is the best for lather IMO. I can't speak for the St James in the tub, but going on my experience, I think you probably will get a great shave. To me, the fragrance is a spring/summer variety. It doesn't hang around very long at all though, so if you like splashes and colognes, no problems. You will be entering spring soon enough, so perhaps this is a really nice choice.

0 1,623
 02-22-2013, 05:06 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
I really like TOBS St James After shave but doesn't last long on me. But it has a great fragrance.

100 12,440
 02-22-2013, 10:07 AM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 05:06 AM)slantman Wrote: I really like TOBS St James After shave but doesn't last long on me. But it has a great fragrance.

Thanks! I think I'll give it a try.

5 938
 02-24-2013, 11:43 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Ack! I thought you meant soap in a tub, not splash, apologies! I have never tried TOBS splashes.

0 1,623
 02-24-2013, 11:53 PM
User Info
(02-24-2013, 11:43 PM)Shaun Wrote: Ack! I thought you meant soap in a tub, not splash, apologies! I have never tried TOBS splashes.

No worries...good info on tub v. tube Cool

5 938
 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
User Info
St. James is an awesome scent. I don't have the aftershave splash, but I have a few tubs of St James Cream. I suspect the performance of the aftershave will be similar to the cream: top quality.

67 349