Poll: Does the 38C/39C handle tend to twist in your grip?
This poll is closed.
Yes, it does tend to twist.
15.38% of votes
No, no tendency to twist.
84.62% of votes
* You voted for this item.
 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM
User Info
I tried the Merkur 39C "Sledgehammer" slant bar twice. Guys were loving it, and I liked the 37C slant, so I bought one. I quickly found that the combination of the weight of the handle and the close, deep spiral engraving made the handle tend to twist as I hold it. (I shave with wet hands because I rinse after each pass before relathering.) Others, I know, don't have this problem, either because they use their little finger to apply counter-pressure to the base or because their keep their hands dry as they shave (no rinsing).

I do know at least one other person has encountered the twisting problem, and I'd like to get an idea of how common/rare it is. (I actually bought two 39Cs, at different times, trying each time to like it because it was a popular razor, but both times the twisting drove me away.)

So: if you've tried the 39C or the 38C (straight-bar razor with the same handle), let me know your experience.

0 101
 02-22-2013, 08:36 AM
User Info
I didn't have this problem when I had a 39C. Besides not having your pinky on the bottom OV the handle, perhaps you are holding the handle to low (below its balance point) thus allowing the extra weight to tip & twist it in your hands. In other words have you tried choking up on the handle?

31 7,912
 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM
User Info
Ah, good point. No, the twist was only in the direction of the spiral, not a yaw or tipping over: just a simple twist around the axis of the handle. And I was holding the handle at the balance point, but I see now that "twist" is sort of ambiguous. I mean the same sort of twist as a wood screw takes as you screw it in.

0 101
 02-22-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 08:10 AM)Leisureguy Wrote: I tried the Merkur 39C "Sledgehammer" slant bar twice. Guys were loving it, and I liked the 37C slant, so I bought one. I quickly found that the combination of the weight of the handle and the close, deep spiral engraving made the handle tend to twist as I hold it. (I shave with wet hands because I rinse after each pass before relathering.) Others, I know, don't have this problem, either because they use their little finger to apply counter-pressure to the base or because their keep their hands dry as they shave (no rinsing).

I do know at least one other person has encountered the twisting problem, and I'd like to get an idea of how common/rare it is. (I actually bought two 39Cs, at different times, trying each time to like it because it was a popular razor, but both times the twisting drove me away.)

So: if you've tried the 39C or the 38C (straight-bar razor with the same handle), let me know your experience.

I think it's just a personal preference, or what you're used to. I read your book and noticed that you started with a Gillette SuperSpeed which has a small handle.

I never used a DE razor until I was 54-years-old, and couldn't believe how short the handles were. Probably for that reason alone I prefer the long handles. I never had a problem with the handle twisting, but I don't rinse between passes. If I did, I might. The only thing that came close to twisting was using an Edwin Jagger DE89 which has no traction on the handle.

They make both sizes for a reason.

0 282
 02-22-2013, 08:53 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
When I owned a 38C some years ago I didn't have the twisting problem you mention maybe because of the weight of the razor.
The best handle I have encountered for shear no slip is a Griest stainless steel matte finish made in the US. The knurling on that handle is unbelievable.

100 12,437
 02-22-2013, 09:16 AM
User Info
I probably did have a Super Speed back in the 50's, but when I resumed shaving some years back, my first razor was the Merkur 34C "HD". The next was the 1904. So short handles are no problem for me, although I also like some longer handles: the long Super Adjustable and the "classic" handle on the Weber ARC.

I'm pretty flexible on handle length and weight, but the deep, closely set spirals combined with a heavy handle beat me. OTOH, the spirals on the English Gillette Aristocrats are no problem: wide, shallow spirals with cross-checks, and not all that heavy. I've just ordered some UFO handles, which are heavy and spiraled, but again not the deep, closely set spirals. We'll see.

0 101
 02-22-2013, 09:42 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Bob at Elite Razors can put a replacement handle on the sledgehammer that would stop the twisting problem.

115 1,692
 02-22-2013, 09:52 AM
User Info
Good to know. I have a couple of Elite Razors that I like a lot. I particularly appreciate that he now has razors with the Edwin Jagger head.

0 101
 02-22-2013, 09:53 AM
User Info
I've never noticed any tendency to twist on my 38M, but perhaps the matte finish makes a difference?

0 836
 02-22-2013, 10:00 AM
User Info
That sounds possible: the matte finish would serve the function of increasing the friction (like cross-checking would). I haven't tried that razor, though.

0 101
 02-22-2013, 10:22 AM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I have owned both and have never had that problem Michael. Currently my favorite is my 37C and I also have no twisting problem there. As suggested above, you may want to try holding the handle a little higher up. But personally, if my hands are wet I don't find the Merkur handles slippery, perhaps only when I also have soap on my hands or the handle in which case I will simply rinse off my hands or the handle and then the problem is solved. I suspect it might be the soap that is more so causing the twisting for you.

14 870
 02-22-2013, 07:26 PM
User Info
i also never noticed this problem when i had mine.
Good luck to you, Michael.

75 20,883
 02-23-2013, 12:58 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-22-2013, 09:42 AM)Triad Wrote: Bob at Elite Razors can put a replacement handle on the sledgehammer that would stop the twisting problem.

Never had a twisting issue, but here is my custom barber pole sledgehammer from Bob (Elite Razor) with a different kind of twist...

91 17,796
 02-23-2013, 04:18 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Although I have never had a twisting problem an easy solution is a piece of heat shrink tubing...If you don,t like it cut it off..no harm to original razor handle...quite easy...takes the pattern of the handle and only requires a hair dryer or a match.Get the 1/2" diameter and away you go...cut it to the length between the knobs (top and bottom)then shrink it.

6 1,913
 02-23-2013, 04:35 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
(02-23-2013, 12:58 AM)ben74 Wrote:
(02-22-2013, 09:42 AM)Triad Wrote: Bob at Elite Razors can put a replacement handle on the sledgehammer that would stop the twisting problem.

Never had a twisting issue, but here is my custom barber pole sledgehammer from Bob (Elite Razor) with a different kind of twist...

The Chubby Checker twistSmile

100 12,437
 02-23-2013, 06:46 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
Barberpole styled beard!!!!!!!!!CoolSmile

6 1,913