04-02-2012, 05:00 AM
User Info
I've been playing for about 8 years. I'm improving every year but still shooting in the high 90's. With two little ones, its harder to get out, but I would say I play at least 10-15 rounds a season.
Whats in your bag?
Ill start:
Irons: TaylorMade Burner 2.0's
Driver: TM R11
Putter: TM Ghost
Fairway Woods: just orderd TM RocketBallz(3W + 5W)

9 333
 04-02-2012, 06:37 AM
  • bullgoose
  • The Enabler
  • Redondo Beach, California, U.S.A
User Info
I bought clubs (Cobra) and took some lessons but never became a golfer...I just do not seem to have the patience for it. After playing baseball and then softball for most of my life, I thought golf would come easily. It doesn't.

45 16,353
 04-02-2012, 06:42 AM
User Info
been playing for years now and was a jr member at a very nice local course way back, but like you said...with wife, kids, dog, house, job, it's tough to get out. i can still hold my own for the few rounds a year i get out and can usually card an 80-85 and can still shot a high 70's now and then.

Iron: Ben Hogan BH-5 Irons
Wedges: Cleveland Tour Action
Putter: Taylor Made
Bag: Ogio
Fairrway Woods: Founders Club "fresh metal"
Driver: Founders Club "the judge"

8 2,718
 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Used to play a lot and got down to a 10 handicap but then a daughter, new job and life in general got in the way. Blush I'm actually hoping to work my way back this year. My rounds are often played in isolation after teeing off since I'm a lefty! Rolleyes

35 2,703
 04-02-2012, 06:45 AM
User Info
(04-02-2012, 06:44 AM)texbilly Wrote: Used to play a lot and got down to a 10 handicap but then a daughter, new job and life in general got in the way. Blush I'm actually hoping to work my way back this year. My rounds are often played in isolation after teeing off since I'm a lefty! Rolleyes

i'm in that club as well. Wink

8 2,718
 04-02-2012, 07:28 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, you can include me in the lefty club.

I use to play two to three rounds per week when I entertained customers on "business" meetings. When I retired on October 31, 2005 I put my golf bag in the back room and it has not been moved since. In the bag is a set of Callaway Irons, a set of Persimmon Woods made in Kentucky, and a Ping putter.

I use to shoot in the low to mid 80's.

173 23,548
 04-02-2012, 08:27 AM
User Info
Even though I'm predominantly left-handed, I played golf right-handed. I played on my high school golf team, and a pro once told me I had a "dream" swing, but the ball didn't seem to think so: it often ended up on the wrong fairway. The highlight of my short golf career was when I was around 14 years old, when I was watching a Pro-Am tournament from the gallery, and Sam Snead came by and, having discovered that he was without a caddy, he looked into the crowd right at me, and said, "Hey, kid, you want a job?" So I caddied for him for the afternoon (just carried his clubs), at the end of which he handed me a $100 bill. Big money for a kid in those days, and an experience watching a great pro closely that I'll never forget.

184 12,003
 04-02-2012, 08:39 AM
User Info
Great story John!

9 333
 04-02-2012, 08:50 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I don't get to play much, coupla times a year. I played on the golf team in high school, so I can still knock it around in the low 80's when I do get to play. The season in SoCal is 12 months Smile
Most of my gear is older:
Irons: Top Flite Tour Ti
Driver: Titleist 909D3 (8.5º loft)
Hybrid: Titleist
Fairway woods: Orlimar
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport II

At some point, I'd like to pick it up seriously again...

52 788
 04-02-2012, 09:52 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-02-2012, 08:27 AM)churchilllafemme Wrote: Even though I'm predominantly left-handed, I played golf right-handed. I played on my high school golf team, and a pro once told me I had a "dream" swing, but the ball didn't seem to think so: it often ended up on the wrong fairway. The highlight of my short golf career was when I was around 14 years old, when I was watching a Pro-Am tournament from the gallery, and Sam Snead came by and, having discovered that he was without a caddy, he looked into the crowd right at me, and said, "Hey, kid, you want a job?" So I caddied for him for the afternoon (just carried his clubs), at the end of which he handed me a $100 bill. Big money for a kid in those days, and an experience watching a great pro closely that I'll never forget.

Wow! What a great experience.

When I worked for Pennzoil, Arnold Palmer was one of our spokesmen (you remember, Arnie and his tractor). Well at several annual meetings that tractor would be there on display and Mr. Palmer would give all of us a pep talk. On more than one occasion I have shared a scotch with Mr. Palmer. Quite the gentleman.

173 23,548
 04-02-2012, 10:25 AM
User Info
(04-02-2012, 08:39 AM)Chicagotrim Wrote: Great story John!

Bing Crosby was playing in the tournament too, and he was in the group just ahead of us on the course. His gallery was bigger than Sam's.

184 12,003
 04-02-2012, 11:35 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
(04-02-2012, 06:45 AM)brucered Wrote: i'm in that club as well. Wink

(04-02-2012, 07:28 AM)Johnny Wrote: Well, you can include me in the lefty club.

Gents, would be great to get together somehow and play. In all my years of golf, I think I played with another lefty ONCE! Nice club we have here: lefty golfers-shavers.....Biggrin

35 2,703
 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I don't play golf, but I play at golf. I've played 2 or 3 rounds a year for maybe 25 years. All of my gear is around 25 years old except for my irons. Around 15 years ago I discovered the 5 iron in my cheap set had a bent shaft. They weren't worh fixing so I bought a good used set.

Woods - TaylorMade Pittsburgh Persimmons
Irons - Hogan Edges
Wedge - No name sand wedge.
Putter - Odessy (don't remember the model)

0 271
 04-04-2012, 06:56 AM
User Info
I play golf.

In the bag:

Mizuno MP 58 irons

Mizuno 650 Driver
Mizuno 650 hybrid

Mizuno Bettinardi putter

(Yep, you guessed it: it's a Mizuno bag)

0 641
 04-04-2012, 08:19 AM
  • gsgo
User Info
I have been playing for over thirty years with one year off due to sporting accident. My favorite game and passtime and I am really looking forward to some serious TV over the next few days watching the coverage from Augusta. Play just about every week of the season as weather permits and had an early start to the season this year with our mild winter here in the Midwest. Generally play two to three rounds per week and usually walk. Best handicap was 8 prior to injury, post injury handicap now at 14.

New Cleveland Classic 10.5* Driver
3/4 Wood, To Be Determined
3 & 4 Taylor Made Hybrid
5 - 9 Wilson Pi5 Irons
47, 51 and 56 Cleveland 588 Wedges
Wilson 8803 Putter, been with me for 16 years

I have had only 13 clubs in my bag for several years, not sure why but just can't seem to find another to add.

0 11
 04-05-2012, 10:51 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
How do you like The Cleveland Classic Driver? I just purchased a Cleveland Launcher and I love it.

45 3,955
 04-05-2012, 03:15 PM
  • gsgo
User Info
(04-05-2012, 10:51 AM)tgutc Wrote: How do you like The Cleveland Classic Driver?

Only launch monitor and one round on it so far but here are the things I like:

1. Great look and sound.
2. Balance and weight. Excellent shaft.
3. Lowered my ball flight, I'll be able to judge this better in the coming days.
4. Gained some yardage by getting a bit more roll from my previous driver. Looks to be about 10-12 yds on the course, the launch monitor was showing a bit more, nothing like on the course experience.
5. I generally play a slight draw and this club is supporting a similar ball flight which I prefer. I have not tried to work it to the right but that is not as important.

I am not a big believer in miracle clubs and prefer more classic looks and styles, this driver was right up my alley from the moment I first saw a picture. So far seems to be a good pick up for the season.

0 11
 04-06-2012, 07:29 AM
User Info
actually a product tester for a few companies.

most recently I tested a bunch of balls for titleist.

bit of a frankinbag.

Driver: taylormade tour burner
wood: taylormade superfast 2
hybrid: titleist 909h
irons: Tommy Armour Golden Scots 3-PW
wedges: 56 and 60 degree Cleveland CG15 black pearl(won the 56 in a give away and then alter paired it)
putter: Cleveland classic bronze 1.

Ball - titlest nxt tour
shoes - FJ
glove - usually FJ but I was sent a srixon glove to test out at the end of summer and I've been using that to start out this year.

4 309
 04-06-2012, 10:15 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
(04-06-2012, 07:29 AM)hudson Wrote: actually a product tester for a few companies.

most recently I tested a bunch of balls for titleist.

bit of a frankinbag.

Driver: taylormade tour burner
wood: taylormade superfast 2
hybrid: titleist 909h
irons: Tommy Armour Golden Scots 3-PW
wedges: 56 and 60 degree Cleveland CG15 black pearl(won the 56 in a give away and then alter paired it)
putter: Cleveland classic bronze 1.

Ball - titlest nxt tour
shoes - FJ
glove - usually FJ but I was sent a srixon glove to test out at the end of summer and I've been using that to start out this year.

That's a rough job, but someone has to do it.Biggrin

173 23,548
 04-06-2012, 11:12 AM
User Info
I play a charity golf game once a year, and walk a nine hole a couple of times with the LOTH.

Irons and Woods;
Costco Golden Bear Set(~6 years old)

Putter;
Lousiville Golf Earthwoods Mallet (pear and persimmons)

0 103