02-22-2013, 12:24 PM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
My bar of Proraso preshave soap is almost gone. What do you guys like to use for preshave?

For those that do not use why?

1 3,507
 02-22-2013, 12:28 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
The best pre shave bar I've used is the RazoRock Lime however that is fairly expensive. IMO it is better than the Musgo Real Bar's. They are good also however to me the scent is lacking on the lime version and they don't spread on your face as well. One I've been using lately are the Clearly Natural Bar's which are $1 and worth a look. They have several scents including lemon. The only knock on them for me is during the winter months up here they dry my face out more than the RR or MR Glo. They are available online or at Dollar Tree's I believe.

45 3,955
 02-22-2013, 12:30 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
MRGLO and RazoRock Preshave soap. I don't like the scents or the performance of Clearly Natural at all. I'd recommend Proraso PreShave as well. It does great too

116 3,804
 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(02-22-2013, 12:24 PM)Howler Wrote: My bar of Proraso preshave soap is almost gone. What do you guys like to use for preshave?

Hi Brad

Take a look here and here for pre-shave soaps I've tried, used...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM
User Info
Other than my shower I don't do a pre shave normally. If I shave without shower I lather up with a wet lather of the Tallow shave soap of the day. Can't do creams without a shower or the stubble on my neck is like wire.

Maybe I need to try this pre shave out?

6 1,224
 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM
User Info
+1 the just face lathering. At most I'll use that days soap/cream with a frothy "lather" and a hot towel or 2 or 3.

FWIW, if you do the face lather route, make it last 3 minutes to allow it to soften the beard.

32 6,309
 02-22-2013, 02:24 PM
User Info
I don't agree with Dave at all on this one. I find the Clearly Natural soaps to work superbly as a PreShave & at a much better price point.

31 7,914
 02-22-2013, 02:49 PM
User Info
I use Clearly Naturals. I like the MRGLO scent but it irritates my skin.

15 762
 02-22-2013, 02:59 PM
  • Dave
  • Moderator Emeritus
User Info
(02-22-2013, 02:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't agree with Dave at all on this one. I find the Clearly Natural soaps to work superbly as a PreShave & at a much better price point.

I tried all 3 of em and just couldn't get any glide at all with them and getting them to work into a small hand later to use as a preshave was difficult too. I used em as bath soaps and they worked ok. Maybe I got a bad batch

116 3,804
 02-22-2013, 05:51 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I will swear by Clearly Natural. I wash and massage till it gets good and soapy. Almost like lather then I apply a hot towel to rinse. Here in New Orleans the humidity is so high it never has dried out on me. After the wash I follow w/ Shave Secret PSO massaged well and follow that with a hot towel. Then a good Ultra Lather.... and BOOM.... GREAT SHAVES. The main variable is the hardware. Razor/blade combo. Happy Shaves !!!

5 1,151
 02-22-2013, 05:55 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I started face lathering almost exclusively and it is more than sufficient in preparing the whiskers for shaving. The only thing I do before face lathering is wash with Noxzema to remove the oils and dirt that may be present. When I do bowl lather I just use a regular shaving cream applied to my face with my fingers as I whip up my lather. If I am using a shaving cream to bowl lather I use the same cream if I am using a soap I use Barc or Real Shaving Co cream first. I find that shaving cream not only does a great job of preparing the whiskers, it also makes for a very nice super-lather when I apply the lather from the bowl.

127 2,390
 02-22-2013, 06:26 PM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 02:07 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: +1 the just face lathering. At most I'll use that days soap/cream with a frothy "lather" and a hot towel or 2 or 3.

FWIW, if you do the face lather route, make it last 3 minutes to allow it to soften the beard.

Big plus One! I guess I should have mentioned I only face lather.

6 1,224
 02-22-2013, 06:27 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
I recently started using Aveeno Men's face wash. It does a very good job of softening the whiskers, and lather does the rest.

10 1,858
 02-22-2013, 06:37 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I wash my face with this every morning.

[Image: 42r9Ak1.jpg]

173 23,546
 02-22-2013, 06:55 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Johnny how do you find that works compared to MR GLO and others you have used in the past? I have used that as a shower bar and liked it. Is it more moisturizing?

45 3,955
 02-22-2013, 07:03 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I would not say it is more moisturizing, but I feel it does a better job of cleansing and healing. I've used both the Musgo Real and Proraso pre-shave soaps, but to much glycerine seems to irritate my face.

173 23,546
 02-24-2013, 02:13 PM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 06:37 PM)Johnny Wrote: I wash my face with this every morning.

I thought I would reply since using this this morning.
It did the job! Incredible! I had received a little sample bar of this at some point and just chucked it in the sample bin, never really thinking about it.

This morning without a shower I rubbed this on my face and neck and left it on while setting out the shave gear. Washed my face off then lathered up and shaved. Now I've never tried so called pre shave soaps so maybe they do the same but this stuff softened the hair on my neck just as much as a shower and left it kind of slick. Very comfortable shave indeed.

Thank you, Johnny!

6 1,224
 02-25-2013, 04:04 AM
  • EHV
  • Milford,PA
User Info
I found Neutrogena's Razor Defense Facial Scrub based on Mantic's recommendation and that one seems to work the best for me.

I'll also use RazoRock and Mr. Glo soaps once in a while. Great stuff too. Prairie Creations sent me a great pre-shave soap to test but I haven't seen it available on their site at all.

I bowl lather and shave prior to a shower so I find the pre-shave wash to be an important part of my routine. I gave up using Trumper's skin food or Proraso's pre in addition to a a face wash recently because I found that they do not improve the shave.

6 905
 02-25-2013, 05:59 AM
User Info
(02-22-2013, 02:59 PM)Dave Wrote:
(02-22-2013, 02:24 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: I don't agree with Dave at all on this one. I find the Clearly Natural soaps to work superbly as a PreShave & at a much better price point.

I tried all 3 of em and just couldn't get any glide at all with them and getting them to work into a small hand later to use as a preshave was difficult too. I used em as bath soaps and they worked ok. Maybe I got a bad batch

I found that the clearly natural soaps need to be fairly wet before they'll produce some decent lather to wash your face with. I only currently use it when I shower, not before shaving.

my normal shaving routine is this: wet face and then face lather for a few minutes.

I should try washing my face with the clearly natural soap before shaving tonight.

40 5,830
 02-25-2013, 07:12 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-22-2013, 06:27 PM)Songwind Wrote: I recently started using Aveeno Men's face wash. It does a very good job of softening the whiskers, and lather does the rest.

While it's true that the whisker softening is top notch, I'm coming to the conclusion that this stuff is actually making my shaves rougher. Too much for my skin, I think.

I'm going to drop it for a week and see.

10 1,858