02-23-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
This came up on another thread so I figured I'd post it as well. It's the first version of the ivory V inlay that I did for a client.
In this case I left the bottom of the V sharp and didn't use the pin which I gave the reason for in the other thread.
But here I also eliminated seeing the hinge pin/washer.
I hid it under the inlay. I also used the same material for the wedge so from the end view you see white, wood, white, wood, white.
The razor was a real bear to resto as there was so much spine wear. But I got it done by basically turning it into a wedge. And at the same time I kept the makers mark. Phew!

Being that the spine is now much thinner and considering the blade width tape in layers must be used to maintain the proper edge geometry. Otherwise it would be too shallow for a comfortable shave.

[Image: TYpyexH.jpg]

[Image: s2m4aiF.jpg]

[Image: NyDoPpr.jpg]

[Image: 5vBhZeN.jpg]

[Image: yDekJGw.jpg]

0 772
 02-23-2013, 09:55 AM
User Info
.......wow.......truly beautiful.......

......... you, my friend, are a true artist..........

39 1,054
 02-23-2013, 10:18 AM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Beautiful work!

102 17,662
 02-23-2013, 11:38 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very nice! I really like those ivory inserts.

45 3,955
 02-23-2013, 09:57 PM
User Info
Thanks again everyone. Now that I have the method worked out I'm looking towards using MOP. Now that would be something as it changes color and you have the purples, greens etc. shimmering across it.

0 772
 02-24-2013, 06:26 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Mark

(02-23-2013, 09:40 AM)mycarver Wrote: ... But here I also eliminated seeing the hinge pin/washer.
I hid it under the inlay. I also used the same material for the wedge so from the end view you see white, wood, white, wood, white....

Beautiful work on the blade restore and new scales Clap

Plus I'm happy I got lucky on my "wedge pin" guess (I promise I hadn't seen this thread when I made my guess).

(02-23-2013, 09:57 PM)mycarver Wrote: ... Now that I have the method worked out I'm looking towards using MOP. Now that would be something as it changes color and you have the purples, greens etc. shimmering across it.

Please forgive stupid question, what does MOP stand for?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 02-24-2013, 06:53 PM
User Info
Oh, not a stupid question. It was more stupid of me to assume anyone knew.
It's Mother of Pearl.

And I have a question for you. I'll be PMing you soon.
Mark

0 772