02-23-2013, 11:52 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
I've been on a bit of a kick lately gathering up backups of my favorite soaps. I was fortunate enough to nab a few of the late XXX in it's final days, and am doing the same for Cacao. While the other two show no sign of giving up, I see no harm in backups just in case...

[Image: mgz2rLCl.jpg]

So, fellow Nookers, what do you have stored away?

35 1,732
 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
This is some croaphoard! Do you think it will stay fresh for years?
I never have more than one of each, if it's gone by the time I am done with it (have yet to happen), I am sure something else will take its place Biggrin

88 4,233
 02-23-2013, 11:59 AM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-23-2013, 11:55 AM)beartrap Wrote: This is some croaphoard! Do you think it will stay fresh for years?

This is the only thing I am uncertain of. I have them in a cool, dry place, so I am hoping that they will just slowly turn harder as they age. At least it wasn't a huge investment if they somehow spoil.

35 1,732
 02-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Currently I've been hit hard by the fear of Shaveapocalypse so I've started hoarding blades. I'm just starting but will be adding many more. I have about 300 Astra, 200 SuperMax Platinum, 100 Persona Red, and about 200 mixed blades of my favorite. The sudden loss of Gillette's Platinum Blades is probably the basis for my fear.

45 3,955
 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-23-2013, 12:03 PM)tgutc Wrote: Currently I've been hit hard by the fear of Shaveapocalypse so I've started hoarding blades. I'm just starting but will be adding many more. I have about 300 Astra, 200 SuperMax Platinum, 100 Persona Red, and about 200 mixed blades of my favorite. The sudden loss of Gillette's Platinum Blades is probably the basis for my fear.

I fear this will my inevitable next step as well. As soon as I finish me re-testing of blades, I will likely stock up on my 3 favorites.

35 1,732
 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM
  • JAYDEE
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
The stuffs I have stocked up on and still am stocking up on are as follows:

1)Noxzema lather cream
2)Gada Cool Mint cream
3)Egyptian Ingram cream
4)Lea Menthol cream
5)Erasmic bowl soap
6)Palmolive sticks
7)Arko sticks
8)Arko Ice Mint cream
9)Rapira blades
10)Sharp blades
11)7 AM blades
12)Tibet Forest Fresh cream
13)Tet-a-tet cream & aftershave balsam
14)Everest cream & aftershave edc/aftershave balsam
15)Kool Frosty cream
16)Kool Monsoon cream
17)Palmolive Menthol cream

I'd better stop right there or I'll need another three days and nights!

3 2,561
 02-23-2013, 12:55 PM
User Info
Anthony, the worst thing that will happen to that XXX being stored is that it will turn into AdP! Winky

I've recently relieved myself of several backups as my preferences changed with the addition of MdC to my Nook. I'll not be without MdC but I'm awaiting the release of the Fougére soap before placing another order.

31 7,912
 02-23-2013, 02:03 PM
User Info
I have 3 tubs of XXX and 6 pucks of vintage Williams.

In hardware I have 900 Voskhods and 3 slim adjustables.

0 836
 02-23-2013, 02:16 PM
User Info
Brian I'm with you on me wanting another MdC and a Fougere.

What do I horde... Let me count the items. Understand, I endured 40 years of crappy, "just remove the growth as least often as possible shaves", and I will NEVER go back to that. EVER! I will quite literally die first, but I hope to keep that away for a few more years. My goal is to use up all of my gear, then I can think about pushing up daisies.

I have fantastic blades for the rest of my life and then quite a bit more. I'd be embarassed to state just how many years worth at my present rate of consumption.

If I never buy anymore soaps/creams/croaps I probably have enough for at least my lifetime.

I certainly have enough razors with backups, same for brushes.

Some names as I remember them:

Arko
Provence Sante
Klar Kabinett
Williams
VDH
MWF
Speick
Palmolive
Boots
Bigelow
Proraso
Valobra
P.160
Cella
Med Preps
Gillette 7 O'Clock Yellow
GEM SS ptfe
Gillette Plat' Plus
Wizamet Polsilver Iridium (Thanks to my friend Jack!)

I also have enough gear to pass around just in case the shavepocalypse is widespread. I want my neighbors on the hill to be well groomed. Wink

32 6,308
 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Four tubs of the new P160 and two tubs of the old formula.

Seven tubes of Tom's of Maine Natural Mint

Four bowls of La Toya Manantiales

A few hundred Personna Reds and another few hundred Med Preps

33 914
 02-23-2013, 04:26 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
Diddly. I'm going to learn to make soap. If blades disappear, I'll learn to use a straight.

10 1,858
 02-23-2013, 04:36 PM
  • CMur12
  • Semogueiro de Coração
  • Moses Lake, Washington State, USA
User Info
Beyond what I currently have in use, I have the following soaps in reserve:

19 cakes of Valobra-made Art of Shaving
25 Valobra Shave Sticks
Approx 2/3 kilo of Cella (in the fridge)
5 cakes of Mike's Natural/Lime (in the fridge)
5 cakes of Mystic Water/Lime (in the fridge)

I have a jar of Martin de Candre "unscented," which I can't make up my mind to keep or sell.

I also have an assortment of loose, new soaps in singles.

- Murray

PS. Though we seem to be talking primarily about soaps here, I have also stocked up on razors blades, with some 3400 - 3500 DE blades (including a nice stash of vintage), approx 500 Injector blades (including some 250 vintage Schick and Personna 74), and around 100 Treet carbon steel SE blades.

4 1,150
 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM
User Info
I don't hoard. I have 100 each of Gillette Silver Blues, Polsilver SI and Feather blades because it was cost-effective to buy them that way (and I really like them). I find that most shortages are just designed to make us chase products and pay outrageous prices, so I wait for the next comparable product to appear. That being said, I'd chase me some MdC if it looked like it was going to disappear from the face of the earth...

97 615
 02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
  • GMofmiami
  • Miami, Fl & Central America
User Info
2 full size jars of MdC
2 full jars of original formula Santa Maria Novella

45 708
 02-23-2013, 07:45 PM
  • Manticore
  • Old And In The Way
  • Manchester, New Hampshire
User Info
A boatload of blades, enough to last the rest of my life. Whatever's left will go to my son in law, but hopefully not for a long, long time.

0 136
 02-23-2013, 08:59 PM
User Info
I don't see the point of hoarding anything because there's too much good stuff out there to try and great new stuff is coming out all the time. Having more than one of anything just takes time and space away from trying something different.

I have about 20 creams or soaps which is kind of hoarding on its own way, but I have no more than one of each since that will last me many years as it is. I like trying out a variety of product too much to want to have anything that's going to last me years and years.

8 115
 02-23-2013, 11:31 PM
  • Tonality
  • Boston
User Info
(02-23-2013, 08:59 PM)norm Wrote: I don't see the point of hoarding anything because there's too much good stuff out there to try and great new stuff is coming out all the time. Having more than one of anything just takes time and space away from trying something different.

I have about 20 creams or soaps which is kind of hoarding on its own way, but I have no more than one of each since that will last me many years as it is. I like trying out a variety of product too much to want to have anything that's going to last me years and years.

The thing for me at least is I've tried a good majority of what's available, and these are my favorites, so I feel compelled to have a never ending supply.

35 1,732
 02-24-2013, 06:40 AM
User Info
Only Arko, but that's because I couldn't resist the 15 sticks for 15 bucks deal. I'm down 2.5 stick and won't have any problem using them up, but it will take a while.

0 140
 02-24-2013, 07:02 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Valobra

Sent via Tapatalk 2

35 2,703
 02-24-2013, 07:26 AM
User Info
I am dismayed by how frequently Razorock seems to discontinue soaps. This may have more to do with the supply chain or the changing relationships that they have with different manufacturers than with a mercurial proprietor, but it still makes me wonder how long my favorite Razorock varieties have before they disappear too.

As far as hording goes, while I do not do it...I do understand the impulse. I have had a few instances where I seriously considered purchasing a thousand count of my favorite blade, just in case it is ever discontinued. The thing that stops me is knowing that o matter how popular or well backed any item may be EVENTUALLY that item will no longer be manufactured. Existence is fleeting, so I might as well embrace that fact and sample the variety of alternate products out there. If I WERE to ever stockpile anything it would probably be a few thousand Dorco 301s...just in case the zombie apocalypse comes around or things with North Korea go horribly wrong.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327