02-24-2013, 06:16 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Le savon des Volcans "Menthe" (Mint)

Thanks to the generosity of my good friend Juan,
I had the opportunity to try this wonderful soap.

The delicious Mint scent reminded me of Marvis toothpaste.
The aroma was subtle while lathering,
but it comfortably lasted the entire shave and was in no way over powering.

The soap was exceptionally easy to lather.
Loading seemed brief.
My initial temptation to peruse further product was unnecessary.
The soap quickly produced generous amounts of voluminous lather.
It held a lot of water and felt thick,
but still highly aerated despite presenting as a little too slick.

A small amount afforded ample lather,
more than enough for 3 passes and touch ups.
The lather was very stable and didn't break down.

The soap provided great skin care.
It didn't dry the skin,
but didn't feel thick, heavy and suffocating like some overly moisturising products can.
I expected a cooling sensation that you might associate with toothpaste,
but didn't sense it.

My only criticism was in regards to performance,
it didn't feel as cushioning as I had expected it to be.

I enjoyed this soap and will endeavour to acquire more varieties in the future...

91 17,854
 02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
Wonderful pictures, Ben, thank you. Mine should be leaving France tomorrow, I am very excited to get it.

Also, for those interested in the ingredients:

potassium palmate, sodium palmate, potassium stearate, potassium palm kernalate, glycerin, aqua, asinae lac, butyrospernum parkii (shea) butter, mentha arvensis (Wild or Corn mint) oil, palm kernel acid, limonene, linalol.

35 1,732
 02-24-2013, 06:20 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Mine is on the way, can't wait to try it. Thanks for the review, Ben.

88 4,233
 02-24-2013, 06:27 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Nice review Ben!

I'm expecting some as well ... I look forward to trying it out. Smile

102 17,670
 02-24-2013, 06:32 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for the review it looks like good stuff.

45 3,955
 02-24-2013, 10:00 PM
  • GreekGuy
  • Not saving money yet....
  • La Jolla, CA
User Info
Ben,

Thank you very much for the review. Would you mind describing the scent a little further?

Does it tingle or cool the skin at all like Proraso? It does not get very hot here, so I am not fond of mentholated, cooling products

9 541
 02-24-2013, 10:20 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
The mint is not jumping out and saying order me so I'll wait to see if further reviews make this a must have for me.

127 2,390
 02-24-2013, 11:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Thanks for the review Ben.

173 23,546
 02-25-2013, 04:20 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
(02-24-2013, 10:00 PM)GreekGuy Wrote: Ben,

Thank you very much for the review. Would you mind describing the scent a little further?

Does it tingle or cool the skin at all like Proraso? It does not get very hot here, so I am not fond of mentholated, cooling products

No tingling or cooling, I was expecting a menthol-like effect, but there was none. It had a fresh mint scent not unlike a subtle yet quality toothpaste (Marvis for example). The aroma was inviting, but no follow through like a strong mouthwash, toothpaste or menthol based aftershave. I am in two minds as to if I was in fact disappointed by the lack of cooling effect. I used S M Novella Crema da Barba (old formulation) the day before and the two were polarised in that regard. As a whole the soap felt very "gentle" overall. Nothing harsh or robust about it...

91 17,854
 02-25-2013, 09:06 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Ben , is it as good as Martin de Candre ?

86 7,123
 02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
User Info
I just looove that soap. Not as good as Martin de Candre, but very close.

Extremely easy to lather, the lather is thick, dense, has great cushion and glide... good moisturising properties due to the shea butter and the donkey's milk in it...

And for the price (I got mine for €9,25 shipping included, for a bar of 100g of very hard soap), I certainly cannot complain! Biggrin

2 5,532
 02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
No Teiste, I don't believe it's as good as MdC. The cushion in comparison is lacking for me. However, it's still a great product.

91 17,854
 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(02-25-2013, 02:48 PM)ben74 Wrote: No Teiste, I don't believe it's as good as MdC. The cushion in comparison is lacking for me. However, it's still a great product.

Ok , so its basically like a Pre de Provence , Institut Karite , eshave or Provence Sante shaving soap.Not too bad at all indeed , but too many soaps and this one doesn't looks like very appealing to me.
Thanks for your inputs , my friend.

86 7,123
 02-26-2013, 04:06 AM
User Info
@ben74: the lather in those photos doesn't look very dense to me... try to load a little more, in order to get a thicker, denser lather. The cushion will improve, you'll see.

2 5,532
 02-26-2013, 04:11 AM
User Info
(02-26-2013, 04:06 AM)oversaturn Wrote: @ben74: the lather in those photos doesn't look very dense to me... try to load a little more, in order to get a thicker, denser lather. The cushion will improve, you'll see.

I'm guessing it's even harder to load from the bar shape....... I'm hoping this is a great soap, who wouldn't want donkey Milk soap.  Biggrin

The website looks like there is also shave cream but I don't know French to know?

24 212
 02-26-2013, 04:23 AM
  • SLB04
  • Schalksmühle
User Info
I agree with Oversaturn. I have used it as a stick and lathered directly on my face. The lather was really thick and dense.

At the beginning I had the sensation that my skin got a bit dry after the shave but I have used the soap for a whole week and my skin probably got used to the soap.

The scent is really natural spearmint. And I felt a refreshing sensation on my face but I am not very used to menthol soaps.

Although it was not as good as MdC, I was really impressed with this soap and I am now waiting for bowl with the scent "cèdre et citron".

1 374
 02-26-2013, 04:33 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Emanuel,
I'm sure with more work I might have achieved a more cushioning lather. The pics were taken just by chance and not planned. They were also from when I just began to build the lather, hence they appear over saturated with water and not as fluffy as one would expect. I commenced with some bowl lathering just to give the soap a better chance for my first shave with it. My preference is for face lathering and that's where most of the work was done. Given my face was covered in lather and I didn't want my camera equally covered in lather, the soap is not shown at it's prime, but I thought members would appreciate the token effort regardless. It certainly thickened with further face lathering, but for me I have experienced better cushion (or protection?) elsewhere. Biggrin

Moe,
Despite the suggestion I may not have loaded sufficiently (which I'm not refuting) I didn't find the shape of the soap provided any significant challenge. In fact the soap seemed to jump onto the brush almost of it's own accord! Is it as a stick as suggested above is a great idea. Biggrin

Everyone,
Overall my opinion of the soap may have been overshadowed by my first use of SMN Crema da Barba (old formula) the day prior, which I found to be a stand out performer on all levels. So in summary, I think it's a quality soap, it just wasn't a stand out one for me and as always YMMV... Biggrin

91 17,854
 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM
User Info
I grated mine into an IKEA Grundtal stainless steel bowl... so it is even easier to load, even with big brushes...

[Image: 13596732or.jpg]

2 5,532
 02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Good idea Emanuel!

91 17,854
 04-11-2013, 05:23 AM
User Info
All,
Just wanted to add, even if superfluously, to Ben's review. I've been using this product off and on for about a month and a half and shared most of it with some other members to get their impressions.

I had a similar issue when first loading the soap to Ben's in which there was copious foamy "proto-lather". One of my other testers, whose shaving skills humble mine, demonstrated that a good dense lather can be had with this by simply using a dryer brush. That indeed solved the problem. The moisture content of the soap, especially the soap in the tub, was quite high and by starting off dry and then slowly adding water, one gets a very dense, slick lather.

In addition, the mint scented version provides a subtle tingle to the skin which some might find annoying but others enjoyable. I used it the other night when it was uncharacteristically hot here in Virginia and I'd been, also uncharacteristically, working hard in the yard moving heavy objects from one place to another. The menthol experience was quite enjoyable in the scenario.

A few weeks after using the tub, I received my second order which included the cidre/citron and the stick. Taking Oversaturn's cue, I smooshed it into a bowl and lathered from there. The stick version had much less residual moisture than the tub and was less prone to the proto-lather nonsense than the tub and easier to whip up into a suitable lather. I have not yet tried the cidre since my "friends" opted to take those off my hands leaving me with a surfeit of the menthol. (Confession: I skimmed a little off the top of one of their tubs. I cannot fully escape my early education on the streets and the lessons learned there.)

I also recently received some Panna Crema in the mail and have had a shave or two with that. I was struck by the similarities in face feel (minus the tingling) and lather between the Volcans and the Panna Crema. Both of these are superb products and impress with the quality of their scents and performance.

Seriously, I think we may be living in a Golden Age of shaving soaps.

5 298