02-24-2013, 07:18 AM
User Info
What is the general consensus re: the agressiveness of the 30s OC Aristocrat?

I have several DEs both new and old (EJ, Merkur, Gillettes, etc.) and there is not a huge variation in results. Just a little technique adjustment finding the correct angle and balance point and the results are always fine.

However, when I use the 30s OC Aristocrat I seem to have to have the angle just right and no pressure at all or I get bitten. This is also true of the OC New but I never have a problem with the Red Tip SS, an agressive razor by reputation. Do they simply have more blade exposure?

Thanks for the input

2 202
 02-24-2013, 08:17 AM
User Info
I think it might just be a face feel thing for you. I never found the 30's OC Aristocrat to be overly aggressive. Try using it and only it for a month and I bet you have a much different opinion.

I had a red tip for a while. It was a good shaver, but pretty mild as well. IMO it was the most useful of the super speed razors, but not deserving of it's reputation. I fall somewhere in the middle for a regular user razor. I like the Old Type on a heavy handle. The R41 and the Gillette NEW were a bit much for me.

Just my opinion and as always, ymmv.

18 568
 02-24-2013, 09:25 AM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
The Blade Gap is around .64mm for the US Aristocrat.

The Red Tip (US) Blade Gap is around .66mm. (For its day the Red Tip was aggressive but, for the Razors that you can buy today the Red Tip is now a more mild razor.)

The Merkur HD (34C) is around .71mm

The Muhle R89/EJ DE89L are around .76mm

1 819
 02-24-2013, 02:15 PM
User Info
i also find them a bit aggressive; not overly, but they can bit if you are not careful. Good luck.

75 20,883
 02-24-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
I know a poor boys home that would be happy with it!!!!Biggrin

0 205
 02-25-2013, 04:24 AM
User Info
I'll take Dale's advice and use it exclusively for a while so as to get to know it better.

I bought it with gold case and blade box for what amounted to pocket change. I had to repair the TTO with a pipe cutting tool. Now all is fine. Re-plating might happen someday.

I doubt that I'll be parting with this one...

2 202
 02-25-2013, 05:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm having mine re-plated at the moment. I didn't find it to be aggressive, but as always YMMV. I would say it's on par with the old Ikon OC bulldog, Gillette old and new.

91 17,855
 02-25-2013, 11:40 AM
User Info
I think I read in another post that you are re-plating yours in gold as original. Re-plate, not re-invent. I think I'd do the same although rhodium would look nice.

If I were to find fault, I'd say I wished that it were a few mms longer in the handle. No matter what, it's a thing of beauty.

(02-25-2013, 05:06 AM)ben74 Wrote: I'm having mine re-plated at the moment. I didn't find it to be aggressive, but as always YMMV. I would say it's on par with the old Ikon OC bulldog, Gillette old and new.

2 202
 02-25-2013, 10:11 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
That's right, I'm trying to restore it to it's original glory. Rhodium would certainly be aesthetically pleasing and no doubt more robust in it's longevity, but I wished to remain true to it's authenticity. I'm looking forward to sharing pics soon...

91 17,855
 03-01-2013, 08:43 AM
User Info
The 34 TTO OC Aristocrat is one of my favorite razors and probably #1 or #2 of all my OCs. I haven't found it to be overly aggressive and think it is milder than a thin top Old Type and about even with the NEW LC. Now the Muhle R41, that is aggressive.

17 141
 03-13-2013, 04:01 AM
User Info
Alright, after 2 weeks using the 30's Aristocrat exclusively, here's what I think:

It's not overly aggressive. Much less so than the New LC (I always get a little leaky when I use that one). Yet not too mild either. More aggressive than the 40's Aristocrat or SS. In other words, it's pretty fantastic. Given that it's a beauty contest winner also I don't know what could be better. I guess I'd like it if it were a little longer in the handle but that's a matter of taste. Once you find the perfect angle, the track of the open combs help you keep it there.

Now, to replate or not to replate.....?

2 202
 03-13-2013, 04:26 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
I'm still waiting for my re-plate. Your positive review is making me impatient!

91 17,855