02-24-2013, 09:49 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
I've noticed that many recent TSN posts contain huge photos. My internet connection seems slower lately, so perhaps I'm just noticing it more than previously, although it is often glacial to load these types of photos when on my iPhone. This is not to pick on any members, but merely to serve as examples:

http://shavenook.com/thread-fs-new-tallo...g-soap-wow
http://shavenook.com/thread-fs-rv-custom...m-tgn-knot

When clicking on the thread, the forum software apparently loads the full-size photo that was uploaded by the member, and then downsizes it on the fly, giving us the ability to click on the smaller photo to then view the larger size if so desired.
It takes a long time to load these pages, and I'm not sure there's a benefit to loading a photo that is 2736 × 2736 at 180dpi. Such a photo is 1.6MB compressed and over 21MB when opened in Photoshop!
I always downsize photos to 600x400 at 72dpi before uploading to the forum, which obviously saves a ton of bandwidth when compared to a large photo such as one of the examples.
I'm addressing my slow connection and will probably be switching to cable internet, but...would it be possible or appropriate to limit the size of photos that are uploaded to the forum to avoid such an unnecessary waste of time and bandwidth? It's not a huge deal individually, but when multiplied by the number of members and forum clicks, these are some pretty substantial numbers.
Edit: I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the forum software, but an alternative suggestion would be to somehow load the thumbnail version of the pic by default when viewing a thread, while still allowing the possibility of clicking on it to view the full-sized version.

52 785
 02-24-2013, 10:32 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I agree that some photos are huge. The system is set up to shrink them down to 800X600 pixels but it does take time for the system to do that.

It would be nice if everyone adjusted their pictures to no larger than 800X600 pixels before loading, but that's not the nature of the beast.

Most of my pictures are set at 640X480 pixels before I load them to the site.

173 23,483
 02-24-2013, 11:33 AM
  • greyhawk
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-24-2013, 10:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: I agree that some photos are huge. The system is set up to shrink them down to 800X600 pixels but it does take time for the system to do that.

Thanks, Johnny. I could be wrong, but I think the forum software downloads the entire large version of the photo to one's browser, and then scales it down/displays it at 800x800. I'm wondering if bypassing that large initial download is possible (I don't see any preference for anything of that sort).

52 785
 02-25-2013, 08:35 AM
  • Kavik79
  • Albany, NY - USA
User Info
I'm always on the fence about this one. I never mind large pictures (within reason) on my computer, but it is a surprise when you're browsing on your phone, and verizon has put a limit on your bandwidth, and you load a thread that unexpectedly has 20 MBs of pictures in it

I always try to resize my pics to 1200 px or less if it's going on a forum, sometimes 1600 px or so if it's for a sale ad that needs to show details
But there's never a time where full size, un-edited pics are practical for online viewing. Most of the pics I take start out as 4928x3264 and around 8-10 MB apiece. I don't personally know anyone with a monitor that could fit that whole pic on their screen Rolleyes

10 411
 02-25-2013, 08:36 AM
User Info
I'm not sure if there's anyway to disallow photos larger than X, unless it's an attachment.

maybe I'll look into this in the future.

40 5,830
 02-25-2013, 08:52 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
(02-25-2013, 08:36 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I'm not sure if there's anyway to disallow photos larger than X, unless it's an attachment.

If I may suggest... You can't do much on external links, but imgur might have a upload size in their plugin settings, maybe try to limit this one?

88 4,233
 02-25-2013, 08:56 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
I did not realize I was inconveniencing smartphone users when putting up a photo with imgur. I shall try to use photobucket more often to pre-shrink what I post.

Does anyone know if a picture can be shrunk within iPhoto?

2 11,211
 02-25-2013, 09:05 AM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 08:52 AM)beartrap Wrote:
(02-25-2013, 08:36 AM)andrewjs18 Wrote: I'm not sure if there's anyway to disallow photos larger than X, unless it's an attachment.

If I may suggest... You can't do much on external links, but imgur might have a upload size in their plugin settings, maybe try to limit this one?

I'm not sure - all I'm using really using from imgur is their api key.

40 5,830
 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM
User Info
(02-24-2013, 11:33 AM)greyhawk Wrote:
(02-24-2013, 10:32 AM)Johnny Wrote: I agree that some photos are huge. The system is set up to shrink them down to 800X600 pixels but it does take time for the system to do that.

Thanks, Johnny. I could be wrong, but I think the forum software downloads the entire large version of the photo to one's browser, and then scales it down/displays it at 800x800. I'm wondering if bypassing that large initial download is possible (I don't see any preference for anything of that sort).

This is exactly how it works.

129 6,685