02-24-2013, 08:50 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Hi guys, just wanted to share some pictures of my new (and very first but certainly not last) brush from Rudy Vey!

Specs:

Handle material: Stabilized Amboyna Burl wood
Length of handle: 70mm
Knot size: 26mm
Loft: 53mm
Knot material: WSP Superfine 2 band 26mm

As you can see the handle is patterned after a Simpson M7. Here is a picture that Rudy sent me when it was completed.

[Image: vGu2oKW.jpg]

The knot had minimal funk and a couple of test lathers took care of most of the smell. Since using it a couple more times I can detect no more funk!

I have to tell you guys, this WSP superfine knot is amazing. Now I can see what people are talking about when they refer to "gel like tips". Definitely gel like tips and absolutely 0 scritch let alone any scratch! None, nada. Yet, there is plenty backbone for any of my hard soaps. The flow through was excellent, no lather hogging at all and soaps and creams were never easier to generate in my Dirty Bird Scuttle. Truly a "super fine" knot.

I love the handle, very easy for my larger size hands to hold and this knot is easily the best knot I have ever used. I highly, highly recommend this type of hair for anyone looking for a brush with luxurious tips and yet plenty of backbone for hard soaps and bowl lathering. I have used the brush for face lathering and it was more than great for that task as well.

Rudy Vey's work has been well documented here, my opinions are no exception. He was a true gentleman to deal with all the way and handled all my questions and queries with grace. Truly a pleasure to deal with and suffice to say, I will likely order more brushes from him in the future. The only trouble is, this brush has pretty much hit the sweet spot for me and I'm not sure I really need another one (famous last words...). It is really perfect in all respects for my purposes and I can't ask for anything more.

By the way, I used a sample of e-shave cream for this lather and shave. For me, the cream was not so great. Not enough protection and not very slick. I have no idea why I bother even using other soaps or creams than my Mike's or Proraso, I usually end up getting disappointed! Razor used was the Tradere 2'nd Generation OC with the iKon OSS handle and Astra blade. Also, the Razorock aftershave wax is absolutely amazing stuff! Not "wax like" at all. More like a fine cream that moisturizes as well as has slight astringent properties. All natural ingredients, smells amazing...if you haven't tried it yet you really should!

Without further ado, lather and bloom pictures!

[Image: CJh9RcZ.jpg]

[Image: Eww8K7L.jpg]

[Image: ec7dgtV.jpg]

[Image: 3LEnvng.jpg]

Thanks for looking!

14 870
 02-24-2013, 08:53 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Beautiful brush! I always like brushes with Burl handles.

45 3,955
 02-24-2013, 09:29 PM
User Info
That is just fantastic! What a great looking handle adorned with a wonderful knot. You're right, that brush is "SuperFine". Enjoy!

63 2,128
 02-24-2013, 09:35 PM
User Info
Great looking brush, Attila!

6 315
 02-24-2013, 09:39 PM
User Info
Awesome brush & another fine example of Rudy's work. I hope you'll also share it in the Customs Exhibit.

31 7,914
 02-24-2013, 10:17 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thank you very much guys! Biggrin I'm pleased as punch with it, as you can tell.

Thanks for the tip about that area of the forum Brian. I will post it there as well.

14 870
 02-24-2013, 10:23 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Beautiful brush! The burl wood finish is superb!

102 17,670
 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
User Info
Attila, great looking brush!

75 20,883
 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
(02-25-2013, 07:50 PM)celestino Wrote: Attila, great looking brush!

Thank you my friend! Since I got it I simply haven't (wanted to?) been able to use my other brushes! They're getting pretty jealous...

14 870