02-25-2013, 01:14 AM
User Info
Here is the Question I have.If you shave three separate times wtg,xtg,atg,with a new blade every two days, and if you shave three days in a row with a another new blade wtg xtg atg. Will both blades get dull the same,or the blade on every two days will get dull faster because of the longer stubs on the two day apart shave.Please chime in what anybody thinks.

0 17
 02-25-2013, 01:47 AM
User Info
That's why you chg the blade every time you shave. It's always sharp.

5 410
 02-25-2013, 02:42 AM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Depends. Sometime I mess around for ages rather than making even strokes and tidy passes: 1,2,3. I am a daydreamer, but working on it. Having said that I never nick myself. I used to when I was 16 or 17 and shaving with extreme caution on a probably crappy kit.

It also depends on the razor you're using.

I figure the more you mess about, like I sometimes do, the more you are dulling the blade.

If you could measure the number of strokes and the length of each, and ensure the same or near to, with each pass and shave, then your experiment would be solid and verifiable.

What you're suggesting, though, is a different number of passes altogether; the other variable is the length of the stubble.

For some, the greater number of strokes would dull the blade quicker, for others the longer stubble might...depending on the stubble you have. Some have light stubble; others have fencing wire.

Only one way to find out, though, eh?

0 1,623
 02-25-2013, 04:35 AM
User Info
Throw this out there for you too. Do you really think longer stubble is harder to cut? If we were breaking the shaft it would actually be easier as the shaft got longer. However, with cutting I think the shaft diameter is more in play than its length.

31 7,912
 02-28-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
I think longer stubble may gum up the works more. When changing blades I've noticed some small buildup of hairs under the cap that seams thicker on the weeks that I've skipped a shave.

Not scientific at all as I haven't even attempted to really pay attention let alone measure.

While it may not contribute to dulling it would contribute to a worse shave

0 46
 02-28-2013, 10:24 AM
User Info
Idea Other thought, the longer the hair perhaps it gets bent over more (yeah I know, i'm reaching here) and the blade needs to cut at more of a diagonal making the shaft "seem" thicker as there is more to slice through.

24 212