02-25-2013, 07:50 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
One of the first new Feather razors has arrived, Stefan from Nassrasur in Germany has received one and is going to test it tomorrow together with the old model. It's not yet known when they will be available for us.

27 1,297
 02-25-2013, 08:08 AM
  • Tonality
  • Attempted Soap Sabbatical
  • Boston
User Info
The pictures don't seem to be available to non members of the site...

35 1,732
 02-25-2013, 08:31 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
(02-25-2013, 08:08 AM)Tonality Wrote: The pictures don't seem to be available to non members of the site...

That's correct but I can't post them, copyright you know. But it's nice to look forward to the testing and see how this razor has been altered, hopefully for the better (although there are those who love the old model very much). I'm sure lots of shops will get one to test in the next days so pictures will appear.

27 1,297
 02-25-2013, 09:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
According to the link description of the new AS-D02 there appears to be minor changes but appearance seems to be the same. Even a minor tweak to the head can change a mild shave to medium aggressive.

100 12,448
 02-25-2013, 10:07 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I'll be excited to try the new version. The original was just a tad bit mild for me.

45 3,955
 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
I received an E-mail from Hairizon SG that said the only change is in the packaging....there is NO Change to the razor...maybe quality control....but that was not mentioned...I sent the link to Phil ...so it appears nothing to get excited about unless you collect packaging.SadSadSad

6 1,913
 02-25-2013, 10:57 AM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 10:26 AM)Harvey Wrote: I received an E-mail from Hairizon SG that said the only change is in the packaging....there is NO Change to the razor...maybe quality control....but that was not mentioned...I sent the link to Phil ...so it appears nothing to get excited about unless you collect packaging.SadSadSad

I really liked the wooden box and packaging of the old one. Was a nice touch and lent an elegance to the razor

2 697
 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM
User Info
If indeed the new Feather AS-D2 and AS-D1 are identical, it is interesting that Feather changed the model number simply because the packaging is different. I suspect we will hear more about the issue in the upcoming days, and it will certainly be interesting to read Stefan's review of the new Feather on the NassRasur forum that may be available as early as tomorrow.

0 3,341
 02-25-2013, 12:49 PM
  • Harvey
  • North Hills CA
User Info
In looking at the pictures I can see SOME differences...but if they effect the "shave" we will have to see....I also cannot imagine such a fine company not "tweeking" what needed to be tweeked...just wouldn,t make sense.Check the link on the first post and you can read initial comments under each blocked picture.

6 1,913
 02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
The statement from the online vendor was the razor was being improved. We all assume it meant a more aggressive razor. I hate to see guys paying $185 and be disappointed.

100 12,448
 02-25-2013, 01:57 PM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 12:49 PM)Harvey Wrote: In looking at the pictures I can see SOME differences...but if they effect the "shave" we will have to see....I also cannot imagine such a fine company not "tweeking" what needed to be tweeked...just wouldn,t make sense.Check the link on the first post and you can read initial comments under each blocked picture.

Yes, the bottom of the base plate is definitely different, but that wouldn't affect the shave. Guess we will have to wait and see from initial users if the shave has changed at all.

5 78
 02-25-2013, 02:19 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
It makes no sense to me that they would develop a new version that would shave exactly the same... I can't believe that!

14 870
 02-25-2013, 02:56 PM
  • ajc347
  • Exeter, UK
User Info
I really don't like the look of the new razor at all - I much prefer the look of the original one which, thankfully, works perfectly for me.

32 638
 02-25-2013, 05:09 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Cars are meant to be driven, not parked interminably in a garage. The pleasure is in the use, like a well-made tool.

0 1,625
 02-25-2013, 08:56 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Am I reading that right? They shave the same as the original?

45 3,955
 02-25-2013, 09:01 PM
User Info
Sounds like:

+1 Razor production quality's improved
-1 No more wooden box,yeah so what,but a nice touch anyway
0 Performance unchanged (change this to -1 if you thought it was too mild)

Total= Zero

Yawn....

7 414
 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
Must be a publicity stunt? Undecided

115 1,692
 02-25-2013, 09:28 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
When I saw this thread I was thinking, "How did I miss this?"

Now I'm thinking, "I'm not missing anything!"

This initial report is disappointing and I hope it proves to be inaccurate.

I (like many others) would enjoy a more aggressive version and see no reason to invest if performance is equally as mild.

91 17,868
 02-26-2013, 07:00 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Stefan shaved with the new razor today and this is what he wrote on the Nassrasur forum:

Today I made ​​a comparison shave AS-D1 against D2, respectively equipped with a fresh Feather blade FH. Each model was given one side of the
Face.

I have very sensitive skin, so I say "fortunately" is the AS-D2 as gently as the AS-D1 - I can determine no difference. Two passes (with and against the grain) and some touchups on the neck, where the hair grows across - BBS! so shall it be and there are countless people like me, who are looking for a smooth and mild razor.

BUT: the AS-D1 was just to gently. It must be emphasized that with such a gentle Design tolerances are much smaller and easier felt than with a aggressive razor. This effect should be gone with the new model the accuracy should be increased and I assumed that FEATHER has succeeded. the new
Model shaved wonderful, smooth and soft .

I for one am glad that the AS-D2 is on the market to serve the many people with very sensitive skin and it remains the softest Stainless razor in the market.

In the normal aggressive Luxury Plane there is the PILS and tradere SB, in the category aggressive the tradere OC and probably end on the far end of the scale tradere slant (not yet in Production).

So everyone can find the best razor for his personal beard and skin.

Congratulations, FEATHER!

27 1,297
 02-26-2013, 07:20 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
Sounds like the head is performing exactly like the AS-01 with some minor cosmetic changes. They eliminated the wooden coffin type box and are using standard packaging to save money. Guys with sensitive skin that prefer a mild razor will be the buyers of this new model.

100 12,448