02-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
First, thank you to Billy for selling me "my dream" shaving brush.

Second, a HUGE! thank you to my wife for buying me "my dream" shaving brush. I still can't believe she bought it for me...

"My dream" shaving brush: Late last year, early this year, I sat down and put together my Simpsons "Wish List" (5 brushes, now increased to 6 after trying a Wee Scot). I knew I wanted an "iconic" Chubby, but not in Best Badger (a little more on that later). Super Badger would do very nicely, but with the increase in cost it meant a Chubby 1 (≈ $185) was the most likely candidate, definitely not a cheap brush, but more attainable than the ≈$260 for a Chubby 2 in Super Badger.

Then Billy came along with his shaving brush sale of the decade. A Chubby 2 in Super Badger for $190, not cheap, would require the wife's permission to keep married life sailing along peacefully. Long story, short version -- I asked the wife VERY! nicely and much to my surprise she said I could buy it, in fact she would buy it for me Love

[Image: dRw1DmX.jpg]

Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger

[Image: BjwPbAp.jpg]

[Image: cit0G5i.jpg]

I knew I didn't want a Chubby in Best Badger after being loaned one (photo below) last year. I had that brush for 6 to 8 weeks and while there was a lot to like, I personally found the knot too dense ie
  • While the Best badger hair was very! good (soft, creamy white tips) and extremely densely packed, there really wasn't any knot flex to talk of.
  • Lack of knot flex resulted in poor flow through.
  • Extremely densely packed knot resulted in a shaving cream/soap killer, but also a knot that didn't want to release the lather within without a fight.
  • Combining the above points resulted in a solid wall of badger, that I personally found I couldn't really enjoy -- keep in mind I only face lather.
I do accept the possibility I was partly the cause of the problem, it was my first time using a brush with a knot greater than 24mm diameter and most definitely the most densely packed knot I had ever used -- even to this day I've not used a brush with such a densely packed knot.

[Image: k6QnaPw.jpg]

Simpsons Chubby 2 Best Badger

Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger review:

Shaving brush spec's:
  • Overall height: 96mm
  • Base: 44mm
  • Loft: 52mm
  • Knot: 29mm
As with all Simpsons (at least the ones I've tried and own) the handle is very well made, feels solid in hand. Though the handle is only 44m high, due to its width and simple "clean" lines, it's (very) comfortable to hold and use.

Would the Super badger hair deliver where I found the Best badger hair lacking in the Chubby 2? That was the million dollar question as far as I was concerned...
  • Going totally from memory here, seeing as I no longer have that Chubby 2 in Best badger (photo above) in front of me to directly compare against -- the Super knot is (very) densely packed, most definitely not lacking in the hair department, but it's not as extremely densely packed as that Best knot.
  • The tips of the Super hair feel that little bit more soft to the touch.
  • The individual Super hairs also seem to have a little more flexible to them.
Add up those three points and the Super knot offers more flex (which should result in better flow through), while still giving that wall of badger look and feel.

For its first use I lathered up with Taylor Of Old Bond Street - Jermyn Street shaving cream and boy o' boy did the Super knot deliver. Immediately the knot started to build up and release lather, no fighting the knot here to get at the lather.

Using painting strokes the tips of the hair felt silk smooth against the skin, knot had enough flex to open up just enough to allow the lather out easily, while due to the density of the knot you really do feel a wall of soft badger hair moving across your skin. All in all, very! nice, feels very! luxurious...

I found with lathering up for the 2nd pass I was best served with starting out with a few (6 to 8) circular motions, doing so made a lot! of lather easily available, definitely more than enough for a 3rd pass if that's your cup of tea.

When used in circular motions the knot again just had enough flex to open up and make the experience extremely enjoyable.

With either painting strokes or circular motions I felt zero scratch or scritch, instead the soft tips and densely packed knot very gently massaged the skin, again very! luxurious, really felt I was pampering myself with something quite special.

In total I used this brush for 14 consecutive shaves before sharing my thoughts here -- 3 times with "hard" shaving soap, 3 times with "soft" shaving soap and 8 times with shaving creams. With any knot of such size and density I believe it's fair to say, anything you throw at it will be eaten up, no question.

Every single time the brush delivered excellent results, if you can't tell by now, I REALLY! do like this brush a LOT!!! In fact I think it's safe to say, "my dream" shaving brush has at least met my expectations, the Super badger hair really has made all the difference as far as I'm concerned.

[Image: 4jEaD64.jpg]

[Image: NtSqIIN.jpg]

[Image: JKfXWRd.jpg]

Simpsons Chubby 2 Super Badger post bloom (24 hours after use)

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 02-25-2013, 02:07 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this beautiful brush. I'm glad to hear that it release lather very well.

45 3,955
 02-25-2013, 02:11 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Nice write up Mike. I've never used the 3-band super badger like you have, but Andrew was kind enough to let me try his Chubby 2 2-band last year and I can tell you it is on my list of brushes to own.

I would like to try a Chubby 2 in best badger someday just to compare to the 2-band.

Tell your wife she has earned a gold star on the Shave Nook wall of fame.

173 23,480
 02-25-2013, 02:36 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Why , Mike , why...? When I though I was very satisfied with my Chubby 2 in best badger...

BTW , is it me , or the tips of the Chubby 2 in best looks whiter than the Super badger one? Huh

Well , I dont know what to say after your excellent review of this iconic brush : it seems that now I need a Chubby 2 in super badger 3 band.However , I find kind of strange than the best badger one that you tried was more packed with hair than the super badger.

And my last question , how would you compare it with your D.R. Harris H3 best badger? I found that brush to be a great brush.

86 7,123
 02-25-2013, 03:22 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Teiste

(02-25-2013, 02:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: Why , Mike , why...? When I though I was very satisfied with my Chubby 2 in best badger...

Because I'm Firedevil Tongue

(02-25-2013, 02:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: BTW , is it me , or the tips of the Chubby 2 in best looks whiter than the Super badger one? Huh

Probably a combination of my poor photographer skills; totally different natural lighting due to times of year (Best Badger was photographed last April during glorious Spring time weather, Super Badger was photographed during the past month - drab Winter time weather); extremely densely packed knot - believe me that Best badger knot was crazy dense; that Best badger knot was filled with very! good Best hair - close to Super.

Also looking at the meta information of those images, I see the Chubby 2 in Best Badger was taken with my mobile phone, while the Chubby 2 in Super Badger was taken with a "proper" camera ("Macro" setting and no flash).

(02-25-2013, 02:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: Well , I dont know what to say after your excellent review of this iconic brush : it seems that now I need a Chubby 2 in super badger 3 band.However , I find kind of strange than the best badger one that you tried was more packed with hair than the super badger.

I believe it just comes down to the handmade nature of the beast, as I'm sure not all Chubby 2 in Best badger are so densely packed. I say it again, that particular Chubby 2 in Best was crazy dense.

(02-25-2013, 02:36 PM)Teiste Wrote: And my last question , how would you compare it with your D.R. Harris H3 best badger? I found that brush to be a great brush.

No doubt about it, both are "great" brushes, but to me the Super hair and slightly more packed knot (while still maintaining good flow through) in the Chubby pushes it ahead of the DR Harris H3.

Take care, Mike

Edit: Fixed grammar and added image meta info.

23 1,872
 02-25-2013, 05:05 PM
User Info
They're both a "keeper" - the wife and the brush. The Chubby 2 is arguably the most iconic shaving brush in the world. Congratulations!

37 2,905
 02-25-2013, 08:01 PM
User Info
Great to hear, Mike! i would love to try one. Now, you are making it more desirable! Hee hee. Enjoy the brush.

75 20,884
 02-25-2013, 08:08 PM
User Info
She is a beauty, and your wife is very sweet to buy it for you. The CH2 in best is a fantastic brush, a true favorite amongst the male members of the Simpson family.

The finer and softer tipped super badger definitely provides more flex, more bloom and better flow thru than best typically. Although the packing of the knot can change that of course, as you already pointed out.

Enjoy that brush and thank you wife for us! BadgerBadgerBadger

63 2,128
 02-25-2013, 09:36 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Great write up and pictures. Thank you!

14 870
 02-25-2013, 09:43 PM
User Info
Hiya Mike:

Didn't know you were gonna review this one too...Biggrin

3G's to ya!Smile

great review
great pics
great brush

Enjoy in great health!

Wink

4 358
 02-26-2013, 05:29 AM
User Info
I will soon order the Chubby 2 in Jade in 3-Band Super and will ask Mark for an extrem bulb shaped knot because I want the finer 3-Band hairs to splay less than they would do in a fan or fan-bulb hybrid shaped knot.

I really tried to part with my Chubby 2 Best Limited Edition in swirled faux ivory (read this thread: http://shavenook.com/thread-the-simpson-...preciation) but it just performs so well for my skin, beard, hard water and the shaving creams I use (own 48 shaving creams and have tested the CH2 Best with 8 of them now)

I know there are batch variations among the handmade Simpsons brushes, and I believe some are more lucky than others, but all I can say that Mark probably hand picked me Chubby 2 in Best that just performed stellar and so solid that I can not see myself parting with this brush ever.

I'm sure your 3-Bander also performs like magic, and I really enjoyed reading your post about it. Good luck and happy shaving with your new Ch2 Super 3, Mike Smile

Btw I face lather exclusively !

Badger2vikoroBadger

22 5,038
 04-14-2013, 10:43 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Still have difficulty with the Chubby 2 in best; I wish it would yield better. I know all the things I am supposed to do, but it's so dense it just HOGS. I use it to face lather now: paint strokes seem to work the best for me, with water added as I go. I only use the brush on the weekends now.

Has anyone come across a clip demonstrating how to lather with the C2 in best? I have seen a clip showing the C3 in a bowl, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm surprised there hasn't been a clip made...or has there??

0 1,620
 04-15-2013, 12:43 AM
User Info
Excellent review Mike, and may I say you have a generous wife a lovely gift. May you long enjoy this.

Charles U.K

0 2,339
 04-15-2013, 02:25 AM
User Info
Nice review, and congrats on your new brush.

0 123
 04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Nice review, and congratulations on acquiring such a fine brush.

I have had the privilege of owning Chubby 2s in Best, 3-band Super, 2-band Super, and Manchurian. My first CH2 Best had a short, slightly misshapen knot with hair toward the Pure end of the Best spectrum. It was a nice brush, but not what I was looking for. Sometime later, when I ordered a CH2 Manchurian from Mark, I asked him to pick me a nice CH2 Best to include with the Manchurian. Ordering the CH2 Best was almost an afterthought, but as it turns out, I prefer this CH2 Best to the Manchurian. I have a much harder time choosing between the CH2 3-band Super and Best. My Super is more fan shaped and has softer tips. It seems more densely packed than the Best, but not by much. Both are fantastic brushes with any product I use, and I exclusively face lather with them.

43 1,690
 04-17-2013, 02:30 PM
  • YMMV
  • Europe
User Info
Great write up and pictures. Thank you!

0 41
 04-18-2013, 09:48 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(04-17-2013, 12:47 PM)Andrew Wrote: I have had the privilege of owning Chubby 2s in Best, 3-band Super, 2-band Super, and Manchurian...

Hi Andrew

Do you have the "newish" (2012 onward is my understanding) 2-Band Super from Simpsons or is the badger hair from earlier?

Also, what is the flow through like from the 2-Band Super in your Chubby 2?

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
  • Andrew
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Hi Mike,

My CH2 2-band Super was from the 2010-2011 time frame. I sold it to another member here in an attempt downsize my den. I can compare it to a 2-band CH2 I bought for my father in August, 2011. They are two different brushes - the one I owned has a shorter loft, is the most densely packed 2-band Simpsons brush I have encountered, and has more of a bulb shape. I still found that it had good flow through and very soft tips (no scritch). Perhaps the member that bought it from me will weigh in, too.

My preference has definitely drifted toward 3-band knots, and I am so pleased with my CH2 Best and 3-band Super that I decided to sell the 2-band.

43 1,690
 04-18-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
I am on the other side of the spectrum... I view the 2012 onwards Simpson 2 Band hair as their best hair grade... Softer tips than Super and Best, resilient hair with great flow through...

31 1,554
 04-18-2013, 12:11 PM
User Info
Variety is the spice of life ...

1 630