02-25-2013, 06:16 PM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
So I haven't really ordered a soap in probably 1-2 years as I've been going through my stash one at a time really learning a soap and decided if eventually it will be a den keeper. I've also been less than impressed with almost every artisan soap I've tried save Tabula Rasa and Calani.

That said, I've read enough about Mike's to think that it stands a chance of matching up to my expectations in a soap and placed an order today. I ordered a tin of vetiver and samples of everything he had in stock save bay rum (I hate bay rum) and unscented. I'm a vetiver fragrance junky and imagine I'll like that one. Plus there was no samples for it. I was really impressed of the price for the samples (if they are 1/2 oz) and also shipping for everything came out to 4 bucks. So far, so good.

I've been slowly working through all my creams and let's just say I'm not a cream person. I can't wait till they are gone. I imagine my C&E Sweet Almond oil cream will be done by the time Mike's gets here.

Looking forward to some new scents and getting back to soap. Hopefully Mike's becomes an artisan product that I actually deem worthy of my den.

11 185
 02-25-2013, 06:22 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Mike's soaps are fantastic. I think it will be another artisan that you like.

45 3,955
 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM
User Info
I haven't had much luck with any of the artisan soaps, even Mike's. I hope it works for you. Not a substantial latherer for me. I did try it today as a shavestick and just rubbed the bar on my face and lathered. I had added a dab of cream, so still not a fair test of how it lathers.

I guess the only artisan soap that works for me is Queen Charlotte Soaps and the scents are amazing. It's a soft soap...and they have a Vetiver.

21 1,475
 02-25-2013, 07:27 PM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(02-25-2013, 06:43 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: I haven't had much luck with any of the artisan soaps, even Mike's. I hope it works for you. Not a substantial latherer for me. I did try it today as a shavestick and just rubbed the bar on my face and lathered. I had added a dab of cream, so still not a fair test of how it lathers.

I guess the only artisan soap that works for me is Queen Charlotte Soaps and the scents are amazing. It's a soft soap...and they have a Vetiver.

Hopefully it works for me, but that is why I ordered mostly samples. QCS on the other hand is one that didn't work for me. It wasn't terrible, just pretty middle of the road.

11 185
 02-25-2013, 07:37 PM
User Info
I think the QCS scents are stronger than Mike's. It takes more water to start a good lather. I hope Mike's works for you too. A lot of guys like it.

21 1,475
 02-25-2013, 07:45 PM
User Info
Wait until you try his Lemongrass & Eucalyptus!
Good luck with the soap and remember to use cool and more water.

75 20,883
 02-25-2013, 07:51 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Mike's and Jabonman are the only soaps used in my den currently. You will not be disappointed with Mike's ... every 'flavor' I've tried has been wonderful. As celestino mentioned, be patient in terms of amount of water used and lather time ... you will be rewarded!

102 17,668
 02-25-2013, 08:07 PM
User Info
Mike's Natural Soaps are excellent, well made, exceptional soaps...but the scents can be a bit strong and overpowering. If you like strong smelling soaps you will probably like Mike's.

Sent from my Transformer using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

6 327
 02-25-2013, 09:17 PM
  • Edson
  • Artisan Razor Restorer
  • Oregon
User Info
(02-25-2013, 07:51 PM)Agravic Wrote: Mike's and Jabonman are the only soaps used in my den currently. You will not be disappointed with Mike's ... every 'flavor' I've tried has been wonderful. As celestino mentioned, be patient in terms of amount of water used and lather time ... you will be rewarded!

Jabonman is the other I eventually want to try. Haven't seen anything but glaring reviews.

(02-25-2013, 08:07 PM)Jabberwock Wrote: Mike's Natural Soaps are excellent, well made, exceptional soaps...but the scents can be a bit strong and overpowering. If you like strong smelling soaps you will probably like Mike's.

This could be a turn off for me. One thing I don't like about most artisan products is too much EO/FO. Probably why I like D.R. Harris so much as the scent is there, but muted.

I'll update this thread as I go through the scents and give my honest opinions. A little background on myself - I've probably used almost every soap out there so I have an idea what to compare to and what works best for me. As a straight user the most important aspect is for it to take a lot of water and be slick.

11 185
 02-25-2013, 11:27 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Mikes Natural Soaps along with other Artisan soaps including Mystic Water, Tabula Rasa and Jabonman have all performed admirably for me.

91 17,846
 02-26-2013, 09:59 AM
  • Howler
  • A calamophile and vintage razor lover
  • Fort Smith AR
User Info
I have a sample of Mike's and I really enjoy enough to order a puck.

1 3,507
 02-26-2013, 12:30 PM
User Info
The line between artisan and professional soaps can be pretty thin. Pretty much every soap maker started out as an artisan company at some point in their past. There are a lot of poor quality home brewed soaps out there, but if a company does well enough to establish a loyal following like Mike's Natural, Mama Bear, Mystic Water, QED, or Kell's Original then there is probably a good reason for that.

6 327
 02-28-2013, 01:20 AM
User Info
I hope you like his soaps. I find Mike's to be a great all around performer. As others have stated, it is a thirsty soap so take your time adding water and be prepared to use more of it than you might be used to. It also provides very good cushion and I find it to be plenty slick.

63 2,128
 02-28-2013, 08:37 AM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-26-2013, 12:30 PM)Jabberwock Wrote: The line between artisan and professional soaps can be pretty thin.

Most artisans are professionals. I don't think that's the line. The line is really between artisan and manufactured, IMO.

10 1,858
 02-28-2013, 09:54 AM
User Info
Mikes is top notch you made a wise choice. Even before I figured out the water addition on it it was a top performing soap for me.

0 46
 02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
User Info
Mike makes a good product. I have had the Barbershop bar for almost a year. I've been cutting pieces off and giving them away, but I have about 1/4 left. I know without a doubt that I will get a good shave while using Mike's.

Today, I ordered a Barbershop stick, a sample of Bay Rum, and a sample of Orange, Cedarwood, Black Pepper.

2 396
 03-01-2013, 06:02 PM
User Info
Bay Rum is great!

7 75
 03-01-2013, 06:09 PM
User Info
Good stuff for sure but i'm probably one of the few that wishes the scents were a bit different. Absolutely love the Vetiver and have barber shop that I kinda like because it's different than anything else I have but it's pretty strong. I've had bunch of samples but don't feel compelled to buy another scent............ GREAT performer though.

Now, say he came out with a well mentholated Lavender & lime, well then i'm first in line Biggrin

24 212
 03-01-2013, 06:46 PM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I just pressed a bar of Barbershop into a wooden bowl to add into the rotation (replacing La Toja which apparently I have a reaction to). I test lathered it and it does take some work, but the aroma and quality of the lather were on point with a little bit of work. I am looking forward to using it for tomorrow's shave!

127 2,382
 03-02-2013, 07:58 AM
User Info
How quickly have some of you been getting your orders filled from him? I am currently into my second week waiting for one I set via Paypal. He's not responding to a followup inquiry.

0 12