02-25-2013, 06:25 PM
User Info
Gentlemen of 'The Shave Nook'

Your advice and wisdom is requested - I currently have the EJ DE89BL razor and have had relatively good success with it (2.5 year veteran with it) - however, it is time to try to get a more aggressive razor. I've had a couple of gents recommend a 37C / Bakelite Slant or a Merkur Progress / Adjustable razor.

I basically wanted to throw this out to you and see if you had any recommendations. I realise my experience will be unique due to technique and skin/beard but wanted to try to get some feedback on this.

Best -

Brunton

0 8
 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
I would suggest a Weber if you want something just a little bit more aggressive. They are fantastic shavers and everyone who gets them typically are very happy with them. I'm sure others will attest to that.

45 3,955
 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
I would recommend a Weber. slightly more aggressive but very smooth.

(02-25-2013, 06:36 PM)tgutc Wrote: I would suggest a Weber if you want something just a little bit more aggressive. They are fantastic shavers and everyone who gets them typically are very happy with them. I'm sure others will attest to that.

Think alike at the same time? Biggrin

88 4,233
 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM
User Info
Weber
Futur
Merkur slant...not the Bakelite one. It's too light in the hand.

21 1,474
 02-25-2013, 06:44 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Well, I just got through testing a Progress thanks to Dave, and if I were going to buy another DE razor, this would be the one. The adjustment feature works very well and you can dial it in to just about any situation you want. It really feels good in the hand.

Brunton, welcome to The Shave Nook. Please introduce yourself in the Introduction Section.

173 23,513
 02-25-2013, 06:51 PM
User Info
Might I recommend a Matador Open Comb.

They are a fairly aggressive razor without making too much of a jump. They are also good looking.

http://www.razorbladesandmore.com/catalo...dor-razors

[Image: capanegraoc.jpg]

[Image: capadoradaoc.jpg]

[Image: caparojaoc.jpg]

1 2,827
 02-25-2013, 07:04 PM
User Info
So, you've tried the Matador, Gary?

It does look good. I have a gold laced quartz handle from a PIF on SN that would fit my Gillette Bostonian and look almost like that, but the Matador handle looks longer and a better fit.

21 1,474
 02-25-2013, 07:19 PM
User Info
I went from the DE89 to a Weber a few months ago - perfect for me, just the right amount of aggressive!

47 1,112
 02-25-2013, 07:29 PM
User Info
I would recommend shimming the 89 with one blade and seeing how you like the step up in aggressiveness . If it goes well grab a Cadet Closed comb for next to nothing and see how you like that step up. It's a good step up. Of course with the Progress you can step anywhere you like Smile

6 1,224
 02-25-2013, 07:33 PM
User Info
If you really want something different then pick up a SE or injector. Gem or EverReady 1912c Gem Heavy Flat Top. Any of the Schick injectors but especially Gs or Is.

31 7,912
 02-25-2013, 07:43 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Merkur Progress will be the absolutely best choice as you can play with aggressiveness all you want until you find what you like. Progress is pretty much the only razor anyone should ever need. Of course, we have others, but really there are few razors out there as versatile and as good in shaving as a Progress. If you want to experiment with open comb, which are generally more aggressive, then I can not recommend RazoRock (sold by ItaliabBarber.com) or Cadet (sold by Shaveabuck.com). The two are essentially the same razor made in India. I think the Matador was suggested and I believe it uses the same head with more interesting handles. This head is wonderful. Efficient, smooth and very inexpensive. I pretty much shaved with Progress for 4-5 months exclusively and think it's the best razor out there. Will make almost any blade work well and a super smooth shaver. The RazoRock/Cadet, however is an open comb and really is a different beast somewhat. Very, very good razor and an outstanding deal for a quality new razor.

25 1,705
 02-25-2013, 08:15 PM
User Info
Weber! i prefer the DLC, but the PH polished head is definitely more aggressive than your EJ89.

75 20,883
 02-25-2013, 08:41 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
You could first try getting a Gillette Slim or Fat Boy and experiment with the settings on those. They are also very cool, and depending on when you were born, you might be able to get one that reflects your birth year.

0 1,623
 02-25-2013, 09:07 PM
  • Songwind
  • Soap Slinger & Scuttle Pusher
  • Burnsville, MN
User Info
(02-25-2013, 06:51 PM)GDCarrington Wrote: Might I recommend a Matador Open Comb.

They are a fairly aggressive razor without making too much of a jump. They are also good looking.

I have a Cadet Open Comb, which are made by the same people. Very nice shaver.

10 1,858
 02-25-2013, 09:45 PM
  • Agravic
  • Emeritus
  • Pennsylvania, USA
User Info
Of the options listed in the OP, I would recommend the Merkur Progress in terms of versatility and performance.

Of the ones not mentioned initially, I have to agree with the others who have suggested Weber!

Good luck ... and enjoy the journey! Smile

102 17,665
 02-25-2013, 10:04 PM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 07:33 PM)SharpSpine Wrote: If you really want something different then pick up a SE or injector. Gem or EverReady 1912c Gem Heavy Flat Top. Any of the Schick injectors but especially Gs or Is.

Great minds think alikeWink. As Brian suggested, ever think of trying an SE?

5 938
 02-25-2013, 10:23 PM
User Info
I like the SE idea as well, but if SE just won't do it a vintage Gillette Slim won't set you back a great deal, it's got good build quality and is aggressive enough for most users.

Sorry, there's no SE adjustable that ever went into production.

If you'd like to try a beginner SE razor I happen to have one that I can loan you to try. All it would take is a PMed address and an agreement that it comes back to me (of course). The only expense to you would be the return postage.

32 6,309
 02-25-2013, 10:31 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
(02-25-2013, 10:23 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: I like the SE idea as well, but if SE just won't do it a vintage Gillette Slim won't set you back a great deal, it's got good build quality and is aggressive enough for most users.

Sorry, there's no SE adjustable that ever went into production.

If you'd like to try a beginner SE razor I happen to have one that I can loan you to try. All it would take is a PMed address and an agreement that it comes back to me (of course). The only expense to you would be the return postage.

ekmm from where I know that? Smile

Yes let sum up:

- Progress
- Weber
- Slim
- SE

You have here hard choice my friend. All off them are good razors.

If would be me, I would take them all Smile Cannot go wrong with it Cool

11 861
 02-26-2013, 03:33 AM
User Info
The Progress is excellent, and as people have said, the adjustable nature means it can be as aggressive or mild as you want it to be!
I also love the slant. I wouldn't describe it as aggressive, more efficient and very easy to use.
The Razorock open comb took a few days to get used to, and I do find it quite aggressive, but after the learning phase it also gives me excellent shaves.
Regarding the injectors, I love my G type and the adjustable M type.

These are all great razors IMO! Good luck with your decision!

2 33
 02-26-2013, 04:00 AM
User Info
(02-25-2013, 07:04 PM)lindyhop66 Wrote: So, you've tried the Matador, Gary?

It does look good. I have a gold laced quartz handle from a PIF on SN that would fit my Gillette Bostonian and look almost like that, but the Matador handle looks longer and a better fit.

I have the Cadet OC head which is made by the same manufacturer as those are. RazoRock OCs are the same head as well. That head is really an excellent one especially at the price point. It is a real value. I really enjoy mine when I want the more aggressive shave without having irritation from getting too aggressive.

1 2,827