02-25-2013, 10:41 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Hi Guys,

Few recent post here start me thinking about acquiring a new razor(not vintage).

As many know I am lately converted SE shaver(not mention, who I blame for itBiggrin) and I always use/used vintage razor. My to go razor is ER' Streamline.

Now I would like to have one Brand new DE razor which I could use as break from SE. What is your recommendation for the ultimate razor?

Thanks,
Jack

PS I think is good post for everybody to sit back and think what DE razor you would use if you could have only one!

11 861
 02-25-2013, 11:22 PM
User Info
That is a tough question. Weber, iKon, ATT and Tradere all make wonderful razors. I own or have used all but the Tradere and I can say they are all great/efficient razors in their own right.

If I had to use only one razor, it would be my Weber DLC.

63 2,128
 02-25-2013, 11:31 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
(02-25-2013, 11:22 PM)cessnabird Wrote: That is a tough question. Weber, iKon, ATT and Tradere all make wonderful razors. I own or have used all but the Tradere and I can say they are all great/efficient razors in their own right.

If I had to use only one razor, it would be my Weber DLC.

I second this, if I could only use one "modern" razor it would my Weber DLC w/UFO Goliath.

31 1,510
 02-26-2013, 12:04 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Here are my thoughts and not necessarily in order of recommendation...

Muhle Open Comb (2010 model)...

No longer in production, but worth very effort in tracking one down. I have 3 of these heads, all paired with UFO handles. I will never be without this head. The other two will go to my sons. This head performs so effortlessly and effectively for me that I know regardless of variables such new products or time constraints I'm still destined for a fine shave.

iKon Deluxe OC and SB (current models)...

Hands down the best current razor IMO. Not a fan of previous dual personality models, but the ability to acquire a second base plate makes this the ultimate razor for me. More aggressive than the Muhle, but not like the Tradere, Joris or current R41 tooth comb. I had become a purely OC shaver, but the SB reminded me of what I was missing.

The Weber DLC gets honourable mention and if you were considering another SE, I thoroughly recommend the Cobra Classic. Otherwise if you were considering an adjustable, the Futur is my preferred.

The element that fuels many AD's is the fact that individual experiences provide unique results. My best may not be yours, but the journey is half the fun...

91 17,854
 02-26-2013, 09:08 AM
  • Triad
  • Triad Razor Handles
  • Texas
User Info
If i had to keep one at the moment it would be my Futur it can do it all!!

115 1,692
 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Merkur Progress is my recommendation. Much more versatile than any of the non-adjustable ones and a fantastic shaver. Makes almost any blade work well (or well enough to get the job done), even the low end ones. simply a wonderfully designed head that really has no equals in SB world of DE razors. For an OC I would go with one of the above suggestions, but at $20 you can not beat a RazoRock/Cadet OC head with your choice of handle. I see so much love for Weber and I also liked the ARC I tried, but I think what I liked most was the Weber Bulldog handle on that razor. The head reminded me too much of Merkur SB heads, which are great, but mild. Progress shaves better than Weber for me. I can adjust it to my desired aggressiveness and blade used. And that for me is a huge advantage. OC world is different and I really like the OC razors. Really enjoying the RR Little Bastone head on top of Ikon bulldog handle. Sweet setup. Sorry, you will have to get more than one razor, man. It's just the way it is in our little enablers' club Rolleyes

25 1,705
 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM
User Info
Barbasol Floating Head

18 568
 02-26-2013, 03:11 PM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
I am really tempted between:

1.Feather/Progress
2.Ikon SB

I would like ideally Muhle OC 2010 but knowing life thats not gonna happen...:/

11 861
 02-26-2013, 03:20 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
(02-26-2013, 09:20 AM)vferdman Wrote: Merkur Progress is my recommendation. Much more versatile than any of the non-adjustable ones and a fantastic shaver. Makes almost any blade work well (or well enough to get the job done), even the low end ones. simply a wonderfully designed head that really has no equals in SB world of DE razors. For an OC I would go with one of the above suggestions, but at $20 you can not beat a RazoRock/Cadet OC head with your choice of handle. I see so much love for Weber and I also liked the ARC I tried, but I think what I liked most was the Weber Bulldog handle on that razor. The head reminded me too much of Merkur SB heads, which are great, but mild. Progress shaves better than Weber for me. I can adjust it to my desired aggressiveness and blade used. And that for me is a huge advantage. OC world is different and I really like the OC razors. Really enjoying the RR Little Bastone head on top of Ikon bulldog handle. Sweet setup. Sorry, you will have to get more than one razor, man. It's just the way it is in our little enablers' club Rolleyes

+1 Best SB DE period. IMHO Biggrin

16 545
 02-26-2013, 03:30 PM
User Info
I would get an EJ 89. That's the one DE I would consider using again if I ever felt the need to use a DE again. That being said, as long as I can buy SE blades I don't really see a reason for me to go back to using a DE.

5 938
 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM
User Info
To Cedar36 -

There's a lot of talk here about the super-expensive modern razors. If you want to spend a lot of money, that's fine. If, however, "all" you want is a good shave -- then I join BladeDE40 in recommending the Edwin Jagger family of razors. Most are moderately priced, and all are well made, excellent shavers. The heads are all the same, the handles are different and so you choose the handle you like. Personally, I would rather put buckage into my grandchildren's college fund.

15 316
 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM
User Info
Weber DLC! If you can find one!

75 20,883
 02-27-2013, 09:18 PM
User Info
On the current production, Tradere SB is my favorite DE. Haven't tried IKON (can't bring myself to get something with a skull on it, my hang up). The Weber I sold a while ago. People seem to like ATT, I am done though spending big bucks on DEs.

On vintage, Gillette NEW is a classic.

6 808
 02-28-2013, 07:38 PM
User Info
A different perspective, but a serious suggestion...

If you plan to stick with SE and only use it for a "break," take a look at the Lord L6. <$15, mild, but a great shaver. I use a Weber DLC at home and the Lord for travel. Once you get used to the feel (lighter, thin handle), I believe the shaves are as good as the Weber.

0 140
 02-28-2013, 07:53 PM
User Info
Just ONE DE? A6A6 I guess an adjustable FatBoy, so I could set it on a 1 if I was in a hurry and didn't want to nick myself for sure... or a higher number if it's Saturday and I have plenty of time to fool around and get it as close as possible.

OOPS!! Sorry, just noticed you had excluded vintage razors. I still go with the FatBoy for the reason above, plus I don't think you can get a better adjustable, but if I'm stuck with new ones, I'd keep my Merkur bakelite because I've never nicked myself with it and I can get as close as I want if I go ATG

11 177
 03-01-2013, 07:14 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
(02-28-2013, 07:53 PM)cpool222 Wrote: Just ONE DE? A6A6 I guess an adjustable FatBoy, so I could set it on a 1 if I was in a hurry and didn't want to nick myself for sure... or a higher number if it's Saturday and I have plenty of time to fool around and get it as close as possible.

OOPS!! Sorry, just noticed you had excluded vintage razors. I still go with the FatBoy for the reason above, plus I don't think you can get a better adjustable, but if I'm stuck with new ones, I'd keep my Merkur bakelite because I've never nicked myself with it and I can get as close as I want if I go ATG

A modern Merkur Progress sold new today shaves circles around an adjustable Super Speed, which Fat Boy ultimately is. I am not knocking Super Speeds or the Fat Boy or any other vintage Gillettes, I like them and use them (OC's mostly), but a Merkur Progress is 10 times the adjustable a Gillette is. YMMV, of course. This is only MHO.

25 1,705
 03-02-2013, 07:15 AM
  • celar36
  • London, UK
User Info
I chosen the Muhle R41 2010 style, just to let you know guysSmile

11 861
 03-02-2013, 07:55 AM
User Info
My vote is for the Tradere SB. Any Weber or EJ would be great also.

0 156
 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
User Info
(03-01-2013, 07:14 AM)vferdman Wrote:
(02-28-2013, 07:53 PM)cpool222 Wrote: Just ONE DE? A6A6 I guess an adjustable FatBoy, so I could set it on a 1 if I was in a hurry and didn't want to nick myself for sure... or a higher number if it's Saturday and I have plenty of time to fool around and get it as close as possible.

A modern Merkur Progress sold new today shaves circles around an adjustable Super Speed, which Fat Boy ultimately is. I am not knocking Super Speeds or the Fat Boy or any other vintage Gillettes, I like them and use them (OC's mostly), but a Merkur Progress is 10 times the adjustable a Gillette is. YMMV, of course. This is only MHO.

I must admit that I've been intrigued by the idea of getting a Progress, but I had a FUTUR and didn't think it was better than a FatBoy... plus it aggravates me to pay that much for a single razor. maybe one day I'll find someone with a Progress who wants to trade it for some stuff Cool

11 177
 03-02-2013, 02:44 PM
  • biggiej42
  • Looney for Rooney
  • Stony Point, NY
User Info
If I could only keep one... Tradere SB by far. Smooth and clean, no irritation at all.

9 408