02-26-2013, 11:21 AM
User Info
Anyone have any good tips for cleaning up flea bytes on the top of a gillette tto? I have a fat boy that while not my favorite i'd love to have it look a little cleaner. I can post a picture a little later, but wondering if anyone has ever had luck with using a dremel and buffing it a little bit? Don't want to make it worse! And not a razor i like enough to replate!

Speaking of Fatboys those prices keep going up and up. One with what sounded like a broken spring and a dropped handle going for over 20 bucks? Jeesh!

11 183
 02-26-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
If I was to use a Dremel it would only be with a felt wheel and some sort of mild buffing compound. I'm not suggesting you do it. I am suggesting that you go very easy if you decide to.

32 6,308
 02-26-2013, 03:03 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Depends if you're ok with the brass exposed. Personally, I'd just leave it; perhaps some metal polish if you're going to do anything. Maybe the dremel buffer with metal polish as per the above post. They are old, and personally I enjoy that fact. I don't care if it's near mint or not, as long as it's in reasonable condition and not a gunked-up mess. Mint is nice, but they don't shave any better.

0 1,620
 02-26-2013, 03:16 PM
  • vuk
  • Virginia
User Info
What you mean by flea bytes... chips in the plating, dark spots?
I would first try to use metal polish by hand to see if that improves it any, if not then possibly try a dremel with a cotton wheel.
Good luck.

2 501
 02-26-2013, 03:50 PM
User Info
I would just use a quality metal polish like Flitz and get it the best you can w/ that. If you try to get the small pits out by buffing, you will most likely take it down to the brass as the plating is relatively thin.

5 938
 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM
User Info
+1. For flitz. You can also try a jewelry cloth ring cloth. Vodka polishes as well

Sent from my Amaze 4G

1 67
 02-26-2013, 04:11 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
A finer polish is the ash from the tip of a cigar, a little bit of spit to make it a paste. Really.

0 1,620
 02-27-2013, 10:32 AM
User Info
The bits in question are almost like raised bits in the finish? Almost like it had some dust on it when it was coated, though i don't see how that could be. I wasn't suggesting taking a grinding wheel to it, but the light felt one with some maas. I think i'll just leave it be though. Though the idea of using the cigar ash is interesting!

11 183
 11-12-2013, 03:53 AM
User Info
You can wash it off with lemon spray.

0 1