02-26-2013, 05:12 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I had never tried either of these blades before, but kept reading good things about them. The Blacks are made in India while the Blues are Russian. So I bought a pack of each and shaved with both of them yesterday.

My beard is very coarse, my skin is uneven from scaring and leans toward the sensitive side. Normally, I use milder razors and very sharp blades to get the best results.

I happen to have two Merkur OC razors, so I used them in the test to eliminate the razor's impact on the shave. I face lathered Klar's Kabinett and shaved the left side of my face and neck with the Black and the right side with the Blue.

The following are my results/opinions:

The Blacks are sharper. Not that the Blues are unsatisfactory in this regard, but the beard on my chin (my toughest to cut - Astras just stop when they meet my beard there) was smoothly cut by the Blacks while the Blues struggled. As for the rest of my face and neck, I had to go over areas with more strokes using the Blue than I did with the Black.

When it comes to smoothness of the shave, i.e. how irritated the skin is at the end of the shave, the Blues win. It is not even close. When I did the final rinse and used my alum block, the Black half burned quite a bit while the Blue half hardly responded to the alum.

Twelve hours later, both sides look and feel about the same.

In summary, I would consider using the Silver Blues on a regular basis (especially with more aggressive razors) while I would not want to do that with the Blacks. There are other blades (Feather, Polsilver, Supermax) that are just as sharp and significantly smoother than the Blacks.

16 542
 02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Have you ever tried the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues? I wonder how they compare with the Silver Blues?

0 1,623
 02-26-2013, 05:42 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
My guess is very similar. I started a poll comparing The Dark Blue's VS The Black's and the general consensus was that the Black's were sharper but the Blues smoother.

45 3,955
 02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
  • matloffm
  • Culver City, CA
User Info
I have used the Gillette 7 O'Clock Blues. I like them, but I think I like the Silver Blues a bit more. I can do the same test with them and see.

16 542
 02-26-2013, 06:20 PM
  • Shaun
  • St Peters, NSW, Australia
User Info
Sounds like that might be interesting. I ask because of the scarcity of the & O'C Blues. I have a stash, and was wondering what the SBs might be like. Look forward to your future comments. Smile

0 1,623