03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
User Info
I've used most all of these brushes previous to this review, but for this review I'm using as many of them as I have in hand to refresh my memory (Mikes brush has been sent back, but I remember it quite well.). I thought it would be nice to compare them against each other. The goal is not to find a winner but to try to give an understanding of what they are.

Here are the brushes. I have no picture of Mikes since his was sent back to him weeks ago. All brushes have been in their travel tubes for at least 2 days and were removed seconds before the picture was taken.
[Image: DSC03900_zps487cff20.jpg]
From left to right (travel tubes seen behind and to the left of the brush)
Simpsons Case Best, Omega 50014 boar, Muhle silvertip fibers, Omega 11047 Mighty Midget hybrid, Omega 599 Silvertip, Custom w/20mm TGN nylon, Simpsons Wee Scot

Same line up as above, but seen below in bloom and still wet from being hand lathered.
[Image: DSC03902_zpsfca2b93c.jpg]

Omega 50014 Travel Boar
>>>>Find a more in-depth review here, with pictures.<<<<

I continue to like this brush - a lot. Since it's tightly confined in the travel tube the knot comes out quite "tight" and the boar bristles are quite stiff, but it softens up quite rapidly once it's soaked. In a minute or 2 it's ready to go. For such a tiny knot it's an incredible performer. It could very easily be an everyday brush with no problems or issues whatsoever. It simply has no issues.

I've used mine with hard soaps to creams and it handles it all.

To fully dry down to the base of the knot takes 6-10 hours.

Custom Omega Travel handle with a TGN 20mm Finest knot

Not pictured. It's back in Mikes shave nook.
This is mikeperrys brush and I told him after using it that it gave up absolutely nothing. The handle is tiny and that's what gives this brush it's travel status. The knot is a full size 20mm Badger and the entire combination makes for an extremely useable and comfortable brush. Even though the handle is tiny it simply works and works nicely. The TGN Finest knot is a fantastic value and its quality is reflected in this brush that Mike assembled. This combination makes for a very nice travel brush. I used it with hard soap and a cream and there were no surprises. That's one of the reasons I like the the TGN Finest so much. Great value for the $.

The brush fits into the smallest Rx pill bottle that I know of, which is typical for all of the Omega travel handle based brushes.

Sorry, I don't remember how long it took to dry, but it wasn't out of the norm for a natural fiber brush.

Muhle Silvertip Fibers travel brush
This is best looking travel brush as far as the overall package. The knot is simply fantastic and it's performance can't be faulted. Just don't compare it to badger. It has it's own characteristics, they're good, just not badger characteristics. The knot itself is 21 x approx 48.
I have an issue with the handle. If you bowl lather this won't be an issue for you. For bowl lathering I feel the handle will work fine and be quite functional. I face lather exclusively however and the long handle is a major PITA. OK, so I removed the storage tube from the handle to shorten it up and that makes it more useable for face lathering, but now it's too short. Muhle could have made a much better brush by extending the "tube end", the portion I'm using as a handle, by at least another 1/2 inch. That would have added no additional length to the brush in its travel configuration, nor any additional length to the bowl lathering configuration, but it would have given more handle for face latherers to hold onto. They completely missed the boat Wink with this travel brush for face latherers IMO. A few rings to help hold onto the brush would also be nice, but not mandatory since the finish isn't super slick.

One characteristic of this knot (and the TGN) is that it's like a sponge for water. Don't soak the brush/knot! There's no reason to anyway since the synthetic fibers don't require it and can't use it. Just dip the tips as required. It's much easier to suggest than to actually do especially if you've made a habit of soaking your brush.

Other than that this is a fine travel brush. IMO, synthetic knots simply beg to be travel brushes since if one is in a hurry to catch the boat it can be put away wet w/o damage.

Simpson Case or the WeeScot size 3 Best badger

OK, the Wee Scot size 3 isn't an official name for the brush I just wanted to get your attention and it was also my way to say that's what this brush is. It's the next size up in the Wee Scot family.

This is by far the largest brush in it's stowed away for travel configuration. There's a reason for that; it's a full size brush that fits in it's own oversize (IMO) travel tube. It's design is one that stands proud and states "I will not compromise!".

OK, I call it a full size brush and it is, but it's not by any stretch of the imagination a large brush. It's a fantastic face lathering brush, but maybe a bit small for bowl lathering. One could palm lather with it and get great results however. That would also make for one less thing to carry in your luggage (no bowl).

As long as one keeps the size of the knot in mind it's a very nice brush. I had Phil hand pick mine and the Best grade of badger in this brush is up to what I expect from Simpsons Best. All of my Simpsons are Best and I really don't need any higher grade since their Best is superb IMO. No scritch, behaves nicely when building lather, good flow through, good backbone, and is good for any product I've ever tried to lather from hard soaps to creams. It's a fantastic travel brush if you have room for the tube. It's also quite at home in the shave den where mine is used in the rotation along with the other brushes.

There are no surprises about drying times with the brush, it takes about 6-10 hours for me to fully dry it.

Nice brush!

Omega 599 Silvertip travel brush
>>>>>Find MikePerrys review of this brush here<<<<<

Mike did a great review of the brush and nailed it IMO.

I never thought I'd like this brush. In fact I almost never lathered it. When I handled it I couldn't help but think that it was incredibly soft and had so little of the sort of backbone that I'm accustomed to that it couldn't possibly lather a hard soap. Who needs a travel brush that can't handle it all, right?

Was I ever wrong! It does it all, and I'm mystified as to how. I simply accept it. The knot in operation is a full size knot and it blooms out nicely, no small brush here! It's on the large side for face lathering for me, but not too large.

The lathered knot is actually quite comical seen sitting on the tiny handle.

This brush as it comes out of the tube is definitely constrained and held much tighter than it will be after bloom. But it fits the small RX pill bottle just fine as do all of the Omega travel brushes.

The only concession this brush makes to travel is the handle. The knot is full size.

Omega 11047 Mighty Midget Boar/badger hybrid
This brush fits into the tiny Rx pill bottle that all the Omega travel brushes fit into. This is another natural fiber brush that takes on the size of the tube and when it emerges is quite a bit smaller than after use. The boar is quite nice, the badger is lower quality and has a bit of scritch to it. It performs quite nicely if you can tolerate the scritch. I had absolutely no issues with it's performance in fact. That's probably why it's called the Mighty Midget. It has the same tiny Omega travel handle that all of the tested Omega brushes have, so while tiny, it works fine.

This brush is a soap puck destroyer.

No surpises on drying, it takes 8-10 hours to fully dry just sitting out.

Simpsons WeeScot size 2 Best badger
This is the WeeScot of today that we all know, there is one that is smaller and that's all I know about it. But this review is about the WeeScot2 as pictured above. It sacrifices everything to be a travel brush, handle size, knot size, everything except performance. The handle is tiny, the knot is tiny, the entire brush is comically tiny, and the performance is huge for it's size. Probably not the best bowl lathering brush, but I face lather and I can easily produce a 3 pass lather with this tiny brush.

In the tiny RX pill bottle that is my standard travel tube for brushes that don't come with one, the WeeScot has plenty of room. yet the knot is still somewhat constrained by the bottle.

Yes, I know it's tiny. Yes, I know that it can't possibly work. Except it does. I've given up trying to understand how, it just does. If you need the smallest travel brush and the lightest weight this is the brush you want.

Now I need to find a bottle small enough to actually be worthy of housing mine.

BTW, I actually use mine in my normal shave rotation along with the other "grown up" brushes. It's highly useable. It also handles hard soaps, croaps, and creams all in stride.

It's performance is way out of proportion to it's size.

You might think this would dry faster than it's larger brother, but I haven't found that to be the case. In fact I just checked both the Case and the Wee Scot and both are about the same level of "almost but not quite dry" at the base of the knot. It's been 6 hours since the hand lathering. They could probably be put into their tubes, but I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Custom Oscar11 handle with TGN 20mm synthetic knot
This brush was built based on my experience with mikeperrys TGN knotted Omega, my prior experience with the TGN gen'3 synthetic knot, and because of my insistence that a synthetic knot just begs to be turned into a travel brush. I had no spare Omega handle so I asked Oscar11 to make one for me. I did have experience with the TGN 20mm synthetic knot and knew it to be quite good, so the idea of the experiment was hatched.

The short story is that this is a nice brush. If you like the tiny Omega handle this handle holds no surprises. The knot is a nice synthetic. It has gel soft tips because of the flagging, and it has plenty of backbone.

One characteristic of this knot (and the Muhle) is that it's like a sponge for water. Don't soak the brush/knot! There's no reason to anyway since the synthetic fibers don't require it and can't use it. Just dip the tips as required. It's much easier to suggest than to actually do especially if you've made a habit of soaking your brush.

32 6,304
 03-05-2013, 03:37 PM
User Info
Could you provide the dimensions of the knot on the Muhle Silvertip Fibre? I face lather, but I do not like a knot that is too firm. My only synthetic, a 22/55, is nice, but I wish it would have a little more give or splay.

0 386
 03-05-2013, 03:38 PM
User Info
Nice review. There are several in your collection that I would like to try.

0 205
 03-05-2013, 03:39 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
Thanks for taking the time to write this up! Much appreciated. I'm curious what the drying time is that you have experienced with the Wee Scott "2".

14 870
 03-05-2013, 03:40 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Great job on that review. The Case seems like a nice brush.

45 3,955
 03-05-2013, 06:42 PM
User Info
Branford and Atilla, those items have been taken care of. Thanks for the tips.

32 6,304
 03-05-2013, 06:44 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 06:42 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Branford and Atilla, those items have been taken care of. Thanks for the tips.

Thank you. Excellent reviews.

Do you know if the Muhle has the new V.2 of the Silvertip Fibres?

0 386
 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM
User Info
Steve I bought it no more than a month ago. I don't know if that helps or not. When I bought it I was under the impression that it was the latest generation.

32 6,304
 03-05-2013, 07:43 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:41 PM)ShadowsDad Wrote: Steve I bought it no more than a month ago. I don't know if that helps or not. When I bought it I was under the impression that it was the latest generation.

Thanks. Maybe Tieste can offer some insight.

0 386
 03-05-2013, 08:37 PM
User Info
Brian, great review and the brushes look great!

74 20,808
 03-05-2013, 11:13 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Brian Thank you for great review. Your personal Fav?

11 861
 03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
User Info
The thrust of the review was to give folks an idea of what's available so that they might be able to make easier choices for travel and I tried to stay away from my favorites because it wasn't about me but the brushes as I experienced them. YMMV is alive and well in brushes just as much as anywhere else in shaving.

I always dislike picking favorites, but I can tell you my least favorite with no trouble at all, and it's not about the knot, but about the handle... The Muhle. If I bowl lathered it might be a top pick. Muhle could have made it so much better if they made that small change to accomodate face latherers (as described in the review above). It would only require lengthening the collar that the brush is seen resting on in the pictures.

Now picking the best gets much more difficult.

The Case is a travel brush but because I think of it as an everyday brush and I don't think of it in it's travel tube it's out of the running- not because of anything wrong with the brush. If you look in my shave cabinet you'll find the Case among my everyday "working" brushes and not in the travel tube along with the travel brushes.

OK, that leaves me with 2 that I really, really, like a lot. They would be the Omega 50014 boar and the Oscarll handled TGN nylon knot. The Omega simply works fantastically and I absolutely love boar. This brush could easily be an everyday brush, yet it's designed from the ground up to travel (High marks Omega!! Very nicely designed!). Just don't put it away wet and leave it that way becasue it might mold and disintegrate, I don't know that it will, but it's natural fiber. The TGN/Oscar11 brush is my idea of the elements required in a perfect travel brush; good useable small handle, and a knot that's mostly abuse proof. I might change my tune if I built a brush with the same Oscar11 handle and a Muhle knot. I have no plans to do that at this time, but allow boredom to set in and I might decide that I "need" another travel brush.

Now if Omega used the TGN nylon knot in their 50014 brush (or a Muhle knot), or if Muhle would fix their handle, we'd have 2 superlative and clear winners. Of course that's my opinion.

32 6,304
 03-06-2013, 10:31 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Thank you again for very informative response. I really like your reviews.

11 861
 03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
  • Johnny
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Brian, excellent review. The only two I have had any experience with that are pictured above are the Omega 50014 and the Wee Scot. I agree with you 100% on your review of those two.

Now, the little Omega 599 is a wicked looking little brush in full bloom.

173 23,297
 03-06-2013, 12:20 PM
User Info
Great review Brian. Nice to hear your thoughts

7 1,177
 03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
User Info
Thanks for the concise review and the nice pictures.

63 2,127
 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi Brian

That there Sir is an excellent review on a number of "travel" shaving brushes Thumbsup

As you know, that exact same Wee Scot you loaned me, blew me out of the water with it performance, truly remarkable for such a tiny (and I mean tiny) shaving brush.

Here's a photo on my 11047 handle fitted with a 20mm 2-Band Finest badger knot from The Golden Nib...

[Image: J9ckN.jpg]

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-11-2013, 08:12 AM
User Info
Hello Gents-

Another nice travel brush worthy (IMO) of consideration in this group, is the Vulfix 2273. I received one as a Christmas present this year (from my very thouhtful girlfriend) and have really been enjoying using it in my rotation to break it in for the last several months.

The brush has a 40mm handle, and the knot is 19mm x 40mm Super Badger. Although the brush is quite similar to the Simpson Case (available in Pure or Best grades), the loft is a little shorter and I think the hair quality is noticably nicer. Overall, the 2273 has a compact, dense knot with lots of backbone and a nice, luxurious feel when face-lathering.

For the $50-$60 price tag, it's a well-made workhorse travel brush that I don't think I'll ever regret owning or tire of using. (Also, it's available in black, if that's your thing!)

0 16
 03-15-2013, 10:17 AM
User Info
Nice reviews. Greatly appreciated. Omega Mighty-Midget Wide Waist is a killer knot at $7. Huge backbone, short loft and soft tips. Too bad they put it in a typical Omega cheap plastic handle. I have two of these which I use daily.

0 52
 03-16-2013, 02:26 AM
User Info
Awesome detailed review Smile

7 128