02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
I've been intrigued by the Gillette Goodwill razors because of their weird head design. Most of them (#160 heads, anyway) seem to be New LC design, but I am not 100% sure about it. Can anyone guide me in the Goodwill world? I know there were many different heads, but the most common, #160 seems to be a New LC with "bumps" used by Gillette in their "blade wars" to make sure only their blades fit that razor. I am wondering about shave characteristics. Does it shave like a New LC? Will appreciate any info.

25 1,705
 02-27-2013, 09:58 AM
User Info
GoodWill, uses different combo like #175 blade guard, #160 cap. Many creative cap and guard designs were made in the 1930s by Gillette and Probak (by then a division of Gillette). The Gillette variations were dubbed Goodwill razors and they gave away 3 million of them free when you bought a $1 package of 10 New Gillette blades. This is a beautiful Gillette Goodwill razor! One of Gillettes models they produced before settling on a new design after the three hole blade patent ran out.
Also a chg created by the Great Depression.

Have a couple. Mild shave.

5 410
 02-27-2013, 11:02 AM
  • blzrfn
  • Butterscotch Bandit
  • Vancouver USA
User Info
I have a few different Goodwills and they shave remarkably similar to the LC New. I really like the design of the models that have the base plate that molds into the top cap but I'm no expert and don't know all the fancy numbers.

127 2,395
 02-27-2013, 03:04 PM
  • Attila
  • The Hungarian Blade
  • Vancouver, Canada
User Info
I have heard from someone who replates them that the Goodwill is a bit more "efficient" than the Gillette Long Comb new. But similar in smoothness.

14 870
 02-27-2013, 05:37 PM
  • vferdman
  • Artisan
  • Western Massachusetts
User Info
Interesting comments, guys. I really like the New LC and am considering adding a Goodwill because of its curious and unique design. They seem to e more of a collectable than anything. The #175 guard looks very similar to the New LC. If there is no particular shaving advantage I may pass on the Goodwill. It's a curious piece, though for sure.

25 1,705
 02-28-2013, 10:44 AM
User Info
FWIW the shave I get from the Goodwill and LC New are as nearly identical as I can ascertain. If you have the LC then I would pass on the Goodwill unless you want it. When I found my Goodwill I traded my LC New for a SC New, and then followed the rabbit hole to the Fatip. All four are great razors.

0 103