02-28-2013, 03:33 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Not a complaint, but I couldn't find a Help section to post in...

I have a few razors that I want to sell but can't price accurately.. Is it acceptable to post a feeler post with the exact stats of what I have in an effort to gauge interest and possibly determine an accurate asking price? If so, where would I post this?

Second question... when offering an item for sale, is the seller bound to selling to the first responder? In other words, if someone responds positively, either by PM or post, if the seller wishes to sell to someone else (more reliable buyer, higher bid) or withdraw entirely, is that okay? Might not be entirely gentlemanly, but it happens.

33 914
 02-28-2013, 05:10 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
I can answer the second question. In the B/S/T rules, here is rule #10.

10.) Transactions in the B/S/T are to be conducted via Private Message, not in thread. Sellers may choose to whom they sell their items and are not required to sell to the first responder.

173 23,553
 02-28-2013, 06:45 AM
User Info
My thoughts on the first question: I think those types of posts are too fraught with potential for abuse. If you're a seller, you might use such a post to tease or drum up business, if you're less than honest, i.e. someone who has already set upon a price and is using the post to get everyone interested in advance.

And if you're a potential buyer, you might not be thinking altrustically when you respond. Maybe you really want it and you "set" the price artificially low?

I see the first issue being the more likely abuse, but I could also see the second one, especially if the item is a unique or highly sought-after item (maybe a seller lucked into his grandpa's Eclipse Red Ring but doesn't know what its worth? - that sort of thing).

Generally speaking, between all the forums and sites and vendors, you should probably get a good sense of how to set prices. As well, as someone who has to sell items on occasion, I encourage an open discussion about my pricing so that I may adjust accordingly if I'm out of line.

72 1,407
 03-04-2013, 03:08 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
My advice? If you are unsure about value, research other sites or ask questions privately.

35 2,703
 03-05-2013, 03:24 AM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
(02-28-2013, 06:45 AM)jpakstis Wrote: ....maybe a seller lucked into his grandpa's Eclipse Red Ring but doesn't know what its worth?...

Or really does know what it's worth. Either way, I see your point. And, well put.

(03-04-2013, 03:08 PM)TexBilly Wrote: My advice? If you are unsure about value, research other sites or ask questions privately.

That's what I ended up doing.. The challenge is finding the right person(s) to ask, as the answers you get are only as good at their intentions...

Thank you gents!! Appreciate the response.

33 914
 03-05-2013, 05:52 AM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 03:24 AM)MikekiM Wrote:
(02-28-2013, 06:45 AM)jpakstis Wrote: ....maybe a seller lucked into his grandpa's Eclipse Red Ring but doesn't know what its worth?...

Or really does know what it's worth. Either way, I see your point. And, well put.

(03-04-2013, 03:08 PM)TexBilly Wrote: My advice? If you are unsure about value, research other sites or ask questions privately.

That's what I ended up doing.. The challenge is finding the right person(s) to ask, as the answers you get are only as good at their intentions...

Thank you gents!! Appreciate the response.

this is why we actually prefer if people leave their prices in their b/s/t threads even if the item sold so people can go back and look at the prices they sold for if they have a similar item they want to sell.

40 5,830
 03-05-2013, 06:34 PM
  • MikekiM
  • Long Island, NY
User Info
Thank you.. yes, I regularly scour the Archives for information. However, the Archives list what an item was listed for, not what it sold for. So, it's a conglomeration of all of these resources that becomes the best indicator.. and then a good dose of guess work.

Cheers all!

33 914
 03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 06:34 PM)MikekiM Wrote: Thank you.. yes, I regularly scour the Archives for information. However, the Archives list what an item was listed for, not what it sold for. So, it's a conglomeration of all of these resources that becomes the best indicator.. and then a good dose of guess work.

Cheers all!

true...there is no accurate way to know with 100% certainty what an item went for, but we can get a ballpark price, usually, if we browse around.

I'll usually check here, other shaving forums and on ebay.

if the item is new, I'll see what it's selling for on various vendor sites and knock a few bucks off of it.

40 5,830