02-28-2013, 02:49 PM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
I've been mulling these brush characteristics as of late because I'm a little disappointed in my Ever-Ready 200T/TGN 22mm finest fan reknot. The knot slipped easily into the prepped handle and I set the loft at ~51mm. I use it for face lathering and while I can make a good lather with almost any soap or cream I've tried, It seems to stay mainly in the brush. I ususally squeeze it out and paint it on. I have another handle which will take a 24mm knot and was wondering if setting the loft higher would improve the flow of lather out of the brush or should I be looking at other knots.

Thanks,

daj

4 180
 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
User Info
This is a good question. Flow is never a characteristic that even I am truly able to grasp a hold of.

That said, I have been able to come away with a couple of rules that usually holds true.

Cetaris parabis, the less dense brush will have more flow.

Even if you have a brush that seems like it has no flow, if you load it even longer and add more water when it seems like the loading has stopped, you can get the brush to flow well. Obviously not a huge issue if using cream (just add more cream & water).

There is a difference between flow through and holding enough lather to do 3 passes without reloading the brush intermittently.

There are no rules set in stone.

9 2,988
 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
As Lee said , "there are no rules set in stone" to improve the flow of a brush.

A good flow could be the result or certain factors like :

- natural flexibility of the hair used

- right amount of hair density : the hair could be naturally flexible , but if you put too much hair of a knot , the flow will be lessen (if that makes sense in English).

- right height of loft

I do appreciate the right amount of flow and firm backbone.In the past I liked extra firm backbone brushes , with not much flow , but these days I appreciate a good backbone and better flow.

86 7,123
 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM
User Info
That is an interesting question!

I have a 20mm TGN Finest fan XH that I set at 47mm. While it has very good backbone and soft tips it also has fantastic flow through. I played with the loft until it looked good in the brush. I prefer fan knots because in my lifetime most of my brushes were fan shaped boar brushes. But the flow through was simply a happy surprise that came by accident. For such a small knot it creates and holds an amazing amount of lather out towards the last third of the knot which makes it easy to release I guess.

I was thinking of a 22mm fan knot next at about 47-49mm but honestly I think I would have to feel the specific knot before I could settle on a loft.

Now I am beginning to wonder if I will be lucky again!

6 1,224
 03-01-2013, 12:35 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Hi daj

Can you remember the size of the knot hole?

I've come to settle on the following "rule", via talking with others, through trial and error, etc.
  • When installing a knot into a handle and the knot will be embedded 12mm or less, the knot hole needs to be at least 1mm bigger in diameter than the knot size.
  • When installing a knot into a handle and the knot will be embedded 12mm or more, the knot hole needs to be at least 2mm bigger in diameter than the knot size.
Not only does the larger knot hole make installation of the knot easier, it also allows the knot to bloom in a more "natural" fashion ie The knot isn't being squeezed, restricted, by being "jammed" too tightly into the handle.

By allowing for the more "natural" bloom to take place I believe you also end up seeing better flow through (with everything else being equal).

Of course, loft height, hair type and knot density also affect how a shaving brush performs...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-02-2013, 05:11 AM
  • dajmacd
  • Tennessee River Valley
User Info
Thanks for the input guys. Mike, if I recall correctly the unmouted loft from the base of the knot was around 67-68mm so the mounting depth was around 16-17mm and the knot hole was right at 24mm. The knot slid in without much effort so I figured I was good there. I truly love everything about this brush (face feel, backbone, heft, handle shape, lather quality) except its lather-hogging aspect. As this was my first reknot, I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and try some of the suggestions here next time.

Cheers,

daj

4 180
 03-02-2013, 03:17 PM
User Info
(03-02-2013, 05:11 AM)dajmacd Wrote: Thanks for the input guys. Mike, if I recall correctly the unmouted loft from the base of the knot was around 67-68mm so the mounting depth was around 16-17mm and the knot hole was right at 24mm. The knot slid in without much effort so I figured I was good there. I truly love everything about this brush (face feel, backbone, heft, handle shape, lather quality) except its lather-hogging aspect. As this was my first reknot, I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and try some of the suggestions here next time.

Cheers,

daj

Unless we're talking about a 10mm loft change, I have never noticed much change in flow through from simply changing the loft.

A 50mm loft should provide good flow through and good backbone. The depth mentioned is the same as the WSP Prince which has a 48mm loft and I haven't heard anyone call them lather hogs.

That said, increasing the loft by 5mm will allow more splay and theoretically more flow through, although I've never personally noticed the difference.

9 2,988
 03-02-2013, 07:32 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-02-2013, 05:11 AM)dajmacd Wrote: Mike, if I recall correctly the unmouted loft from the base of the knot was around 67-68mm so the mounting depth was around 16-17mm and the knot hole was right at 24mm. The knot slid in without much effort so I figured I was good there. I truly love everything about this brush (face feel, backbone, heft, handle shape, lather quality) except its lather-hogging aspect. As this was my first reknot, I'll chalk it up as a learning experience and try some of the suggestions here next time.

Hi Dave

Sounds like you didn't do anything wrong, at least from limited experience.

Here's a re-knot I did without almost identical spec's and the 22mm 2-Band Finest knot (from The Golden Nib) exhibits good flow through, I definitely don't have to "fight" with the brush to get at the lather...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872