03-01-2013, 01:46 PM
  • DoubleB
  • Zeeland, The Netherlands
User Info
Stumbled upon this frameback razor for a few bucks. It was pretty heavy on staining and rust, but this little razor intrigued me. I polished it with some Autosol and it came out pretty OK.

Now I've never heard of this brand before, but I'm guessing it's French. Internet wasn't much of a help either. Razor is stamped with Rolli Salieu, but other then that it doesn't give any of it's history away.

It was a PITA to hone, it really was. But I managed to get a very keen edge on the razor. It's a great shaver, although it's very light. Had to make some adjustments in my technique. I like the frameback system, but does anyone know why it was invented?

Without further talking, here's a pic:

[Image: 29p6zxs.jpg]

5 447
 03-01-2013, 03:14 PM
User Info
Could have been invented as a cost saving measure.

It takes less labor to make a flat piece of steel, harden it, and then sandwich it in between softer steel than to rough shape the steel, grind it to rough shape, harden it, and grind it into final shape (worst part).

9 2,988
 03-02-2013, 09:10 AM
  • DoubleB
User Info
(03-01-2013, 03:14 PM)asharperrazor Wrote: Could have been invented as a cost saving measure.

It takes less labor to make a flat piece of steel, harden it, and then sandwich it in between softer steel than to rough shape the steel, grind it to rough shape, harden it, and grind it into final shape (worst part).

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks, Lee.

5 447
 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  • Snuff
  • Belgium
User Info
Are you sure it's "Salieu"? it looks like something else to me but the picture is not that great. Anyway nice find.

27 1,294
 03-02-2013, 10:50 AM
  • DoubleB
User Info
(03-02-2013, 09:34 AM)Snuff Wrote: Are you sure it's "Salieu"? it looks like something else to me but the picture is not that great. Anyway nice find.

Yes I'm sure. I'll take a better pic tomorrow.
What does it look like to you, if I may ask?

5 447