03-01-2013, 09:27 PM
User Info
Hello, everyone...new member here wondering if you're using a hand-me-down safety razor. Almost every time I visit my mom, I try in vain to find my dad's old safety razor. I don't even remember exactly what it looked like, but I remember that it was a butterfly top. When I was a youngin', he'd take the blade out and let me use it to scrape some Gillette foam off my face.

Are any of you using an inherited safety razor? If so, what kind and how does it compare to a current model?

0 57
 03-01-2013, 10:23 PM
User Info
hi GilbertHenry and welcome to The Shave Nook! please stop by in Introduction and say hello to the community Smile

i have one british made gillette slimtwist 1973 that belonged to my grandfather - it's not getting used here but a beauty indeed:

7 1,625
 03-01-2013, 10:29 PM
User Info
All but one of my first razors came to me from through the family. That would be a GEM Featherweight (mint) and Gillette Travel Tech that I found long after beginning my blade shaving endevour. The only place it could have come from is my dad. I also had a Valet Autostrop VC4 that I got into operation well into my blade shaving career, and after I loved it to death with a Dremel tool in the hopes of polishing the thin (I know now) gold plating. (Never do that!) It still works, but it's ugly because of me and has long since been retired. It had to have come from family, but I'll be darned if I remember from who. I'm pretty sure a brother gave it to me from dad, but he can't remember giving it to me or the history.

My other beginner razor I bought in '69/'70. It is a black handled Gillette SuperSpeed. It sat unused for all those years just waiting for me to pick it up again. Now it sits again since it's too mild for me now, but it did serve it's purpose of getting me back into DE razors.

I know you didn't specifically ask about vintage razors, but LOTS of us use vintage razors that didn't come to us from through family members. I only have 1 modern razor, the rest are vintage, at least 40 years old.

32 6,312
 03-02-2013, 12:52 AM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Hello and welcome to the Shave Nook! Several of our members started using a razor passed to them including my self. Your Fathers razor was most likely a vintage Gillette which a lot of people prefer as their razor of choice.

45 3,955
 03-02-2013, 03:52 AM
User Info
I have my Grandfathers Gillette black handle SS. I don't use it though as it's pretty mild shaver.

24 212
 03-02-2013, 06:12 AM
User Info
I have my wife's grandfather's 56 Gillette diplomat. I have used it once and it seemed rather aggressive to me, but my experience is limited as I have only been wet shaving about two months. Also it could have been due to it being the third shave on that personna blade. I cannot reply to the question as to how it relates to modern models. I only have vintage Gillettes.

Knock

0 9
 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
My Dad was a Gem man, those he left to me. I still have a Black Beauty from my teen years, and N-1 Schick I bought 30 years ago, and have since bought some more injectors from the `60s and `70s.

There is alot of variation among ALL razors, be they older or newer.

Some modern/old razors have no old/modern equivalent.

A common theme here, is that you will seldom see anyone parting with a razor they acquired from their Dad !

Welcome to the Nook !
Smile

(typo edit)

0 1,291
 03-02-2013, 01:20 PM
  • Java
  • Warner Robins, Georgia, USA
User Info
I started with my father's '58 Gillette Super Speed. After a month or so I started acquiring vintage razors. Even bought a new Merkur. One day in a thift store I saw a Super Speed marked $3. I bought it just to have something to PIF if I every found a potential convert. I cleaned it up and discovered it's actually a TV Special, but it's the same date as Dad's. It entered the rotation the next day. Since then Dad's SS stays displayed on the shelf, and is only used a few times a year. His Birthday, the anniversary of his death, etc. Don't want to wear it out.

0 271
 03-02-2013, 02:42 PM
User Info
(03-02-2013, 12:52 AM)tgutc Wrote: Hello and welcome to the Shave Nook! Several of our members started using a razor passed to them including my self. Your Fathers razor was most likely a vintage Gillette which a lot of people prefer as their razor of choice.

You're probably right about it being a Gillette. I do have a vague memory of it, but it's probably been 25 years since I last saw it. Sad

(03-02-2013, 10:20 AM)OldDog23 Wrote: My Dad was a Gem man, those he left to me. I still have a Black Beauty from my teen years, and N-1 Schick I bought 30 years ago, and have since bought some more injectors from the `60s and `70s.

There is alot of variation among ALL razors, be they older or newer.

Some modern/old razors have no old/modern equivalent.

A common theme here, is that you will seldom see anyone parting with a razor they acquired from their Dad !

Welcome to the Nook !
Smile

(typo edit)

I wish I'd had the foresight to hang onto my dad's razor, but then again I didn't even have whiskers the last time I used it!

0 57
 03-02-2013, 03:00 PM
  • OldDog23
  • BeanTown MetroWest
User Info
Chin up, GH...it could turn up ! Smile

0 1,291
 03-02-2013, 05:36 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
I have one of my best friends dads Fat Boy. Does that count. I wouldn't ever sell it. I wish I could get my hands on my Dads razors. If my Mom held on to any after he passed unfortunately were lost in Hurricane Katrina. IDK if he still had any of his DE's when he died. That was way before I began traditional wet shaving. I remember him shaving with a DE that was lost in the flood from Hurricane Betsy... A LONG LONG time ago. By the time I began shaving he was using carts.

5 1,151
 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
My first shave with DE was last year, when I was 23y old. I had been instructed by my 77y old Father how to use his old Gillette slim twist 1970s(w/ Merkur blade). Now I use this razor when I come with visit together with bond cream and 50y old shaving brush I cannot identify.

11 861
 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM
User Info
i tried my dad's French made 3-piece last year when i went to visit, but unfortunately it was too warped to shave very well.
i have no problems with the modern Weber DLC and Merkur Progress that i use. They serve me very well, indeed.

75 20,884
 03-02-2013, 10:32 PM
User Info
I recently asked my mother if she had any razors that belonged to my grandfather...who passed away when I was a young boy...she said, ,"oh that old thing?" She sent me his 1956 Gillette superspeed.

5 135
 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM
User Info
Thanks for all the great replies! It's interesting to read about your hand-me-downs. As I suspected, many of you are using a razor that also serves as a memento. I was curious because the memory of using my dad's butterfly top is a major reason I started using a safety razor. Shortly after he passed away (about 3 1/2 years ago), a friend recommended the switch from cartridges to a safety razor. Knowing that I probably wouldn't be able find my dad's old butterfly top, I bought a Merkur 23c and I've been using it ever since.

0 57