03-02-2013, 09:06 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Fitjar Folgefonn... Has anyone tried this shaving cream?

Fitjar is hand made in Norway with only natural ingredients, paraben free and no preservatives. (Ingredients: Potassium stearate, potassium cocoate, glycerine, olea europea (olive oil), essential oils).

It is described as: "Like rubbing your face in a glacier. Menthol, eucalyptus, peppermint and pine. Not for the fainthearted, but excellent if you want a super cooling, refreshing shave."

It's this account that has me interested and I want to know if it truly is like shaving with one of these...

91 17,611
 03-02-2013, 09:34 AM
  • Israeli Ambassador
  • Montreal, Canada
User Info
I heard two reports - one of them says that the cooling effect is there, but it's not strong at all. The other one says that it's very pleasantly-cooling, but not not even as cooling as Proraso Green. In any case, the price of this stuff scares me away.

3 2,543
 03-02-2013, 09:40 AM
User Info
Ben - although i have not tried anything from fitjar i just wanted to say that i have rubbed my face against a glacier - svartisen ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Svartisen ) - and i can't really think i would like that experience in my bathroom (read: cold & hard) - but hey - it is truly an exotic sensation Biggrin

7 1,625
 03-02-2013, 11:39 AM
User Info
I have some. I assume there could be some variability from batch to batch but mine is quite mentholated, i've had it for close to 2 years I suppose. It's not to QCS Vostock level but it's several notches above Proraso. Mine currently sits open in my beer fridge, hopefully dried to a croap by the time warm weather comes around.

20 210
 03-02-2013, 11:44 AM
User Info

I have owned this Folgefonn and the Citrus kick Fitjar creams.

My honest impressions:

The scent: Very nice well rounded slightly cooling very natural mint scent. Not harsh like I sometimes think the Proraso Green and Santa Maria Novella can be. Very mild natural true mint note in this cream.
In my opinion the best thing about the Folgefoon shaving cream is the scent, no doubt.
Scent: 10/10 - but not for ultra menthol cooling freaks. For gents who like a natural smelling mint cream. It is cooling, but in a soft way. Try Kent Mint shavign cream for a slightly better yet still natural minty cooling cream, which IMHO performs a good deal better than the Folgefonn - still not a great fan of the Kent Mint Cream, but still a better performer than the Folgefoon cream.

From there on it's downhill with my impressions of the Fitjar shaving creams. Made in Norway, a brother country to Denmark, I really hoped for an excellent performing shaving cream on par with Castle Forbes and Acqua di Parma. But I was let down Dodgy

Firstly the Citrus Kick gave me rash. Nothing to do with the Folgefonn, but this was my first rash reaction from using a shaving cream, and I have owned 75+ shaving creams.

Secondly both my Fitjar creams seemed to dry out on my skin faster than any other of my creams. Even if I did the trick with adding drops of water and massaging them into the lather on my face, the lather dried out very very fast on my skin. I know there are Fitjar shaving cream fans out there, but I'm not one of them.

Thirdly the cushion and glide was not superb or anything special. In fact my TOBS Avocado, GFT Coconut and all my Musgo Reals, my 2 CF's, my 3 Penhaligons, my Floris 89, my TF&H UC, my O Melhor, my Lavanda and almost all my other shaving creams gives me a better glide and cushion than what I got from my 2 Fitjar creams.

It's not a bad shaving cream per se, but for the price it costs, I would rank it as below par performance wise - scent wise they were both top notch !
But I don't shave with the scent, I prefer to use a protective layer of lather for this Tongue

If you really love the Folgefonn Mint scent, then I recommend blending it with a neutral scent free high quality cream like Xpec or Simpson Lux or a high quality soap.

I may have received two less than steallr batches of Fitjar cream, but I paid £25-30 a pot, and 2 wrongs will never make one right, because I will never buy a Fitjar shaving cream again.

As said the cream is not horrible, but I would rate it as a mediocre performer with a fantastic scent.

YMMV and all of course Smile

21 4,775
 03-02-2013, 12:30 PM
  • Striky
  • Reipå, Norway
User Info
I'm from Norway, and it's the same with me as for Marius. I have not tried any Fitjar products. However, I live right next to Svartisen, Norways second biggest glacier. I wouldn't shave after rubbing my face to it, but I can recomend using the ice from the glacier in your long drinks Smile you will not find any better icecubes for your drink!

A little off topic, but still quite interesting Biggrin

7 858
 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Gentlemen thank-you for your input, I'm now less than excited about this product and will not pursue it further...

91 17,611