03-03-2013, 11:09 AM
User Info
Good evening, everybody! Somehow I came for this moment in my life, I'm trying to switch on safety razors, despite of this I got some questions for ShaveNook users. So.. shortly, i'm 23 y.o., I got SENSITIVE skin(sometimes I got irritation and so on..). I'm shaving once in a week/two weeks, after this I got beard all over the face, just love how me beard looks Smile. Beard - not tough, not soft, something in the middle, how I think.

1)Is safety razor best way to shave??? Also, I got cartridge razor Gillette Fusion Power and electric shaver Braun 1-series. Any alternatives for my situation?

2)I've lurked around shaving forums/pages, as I get best options for novice in safety 'razoring' is EDWIN JAGGER DE89, MERKUR 34/38C and MUHLE R89, OTHER CANDIDATES?

1.1)What other letters and numerals after EJ DE89 mean? DE stands for double edge.., 89 - head, but other, such as L/BL/BA, etc..? As regards, MERKUR 34/38C - C means chrome? G means gold, yes?

1.2)What open comb razor actually does? Whats the difference between closed combs? As regards, MUHLE R89 vs MUHLE R41 and EJ DE89 vs EJ DE87?

1.3)Last one, EDWIN JAGGER = MUHLE, sure? The difference is handle and price, yup?

I appreciate all the answers, thanks!

0 6
 03-03-2013, 11:12 AM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Plenty of suggestions will come along but make sure to introduce yourself in our Introductions forum. Best of luck with your wetshaving quest - you'll never regret it!

35 2,703
 03-03-2013, 11:35 AM
User Info
1. Safety razor is better than multi-blade cartridges & electrics.

2. Those are good starting points for sure
2.1. The extra letters are cosmetic/aesthetic though I couldn't tell you what they mean. Merkurs yes C=chrome & G=gold.
2.2. Lots of debate here. Only thing is to try both & find what you like best. It's always better to start safer so I'd stay with closed combs initially.
2.3. I'm not sure. Sorry.

31 7,914
 03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Hello and welcome to the Nook! Safety razors are the best place to start and many including myself stick with safety razors. They give me consistently great shaves. One thing I want to point out is a lot of people think they have sensitive skin because of issues they have with cartridge razors and find out later after using a DE it's not as bad as they thought. The EJ DE89 is a fantastic razor and that is the razor I suggest you start with. The numbers or letters after are just cosmetic like Brian pointed out. For instance the EJ DE89L means the handle has lines in it. They all have the same head and shave exactly the same. Open comb razors are more aggressive than closed comb razors and I would suggest you start with a closed comb such as a EJ DE89. There is no difference between a EJ DE87 or EJ DE89 other than look.
Muhle and Edwin Jagger use the same exact closed comb heads. Also, there shaving creams are the same too. The head of a EJDE89 and a Muhle R89 have the same head but the Muhle has a more expensive handle. The Muhle R41 is an open comb razor and it is the most aggressive DE razor on earth. It is not for a beginner.

45 3,955
 03-03-2013, 12:26 PM
  • Arcadies
  • Greeneville, TN
User Info
I own a DE89 and while it's not my favorite, I would normally suggest one for a newbie, but I have never shaved a weeks growth with it and I am wondering just how well it would do as mild as it is. I am wondering if maybe a Merkur Progress would be a better choice. I typically wouldn't suggest one for a new comer, but if you are shaving a weekly beard, I think it might serve you better. Set it on 3 when you have a lot of growth and dial it down to 1-2 if you are feeling sensitive or start shaving more often. It also has a fairly large/deep channel for all that hair/lather.

Either way you go I'd definitely recommend going with a safety razor, a weeks growth with a cart razor is just...yeesh. Scared

31 1,510
 03-03-2013, 03:24 PM
User Info
If I was starting to shave today and beginning right at the beginning I wouldn't hesitate to begin with a safety razor. You're doing the correct thing IMO.

I suffered through 40 years of "just shaving" to remove the stubble that, quite frankly, made me look like an unkempt bum. Now I actually enjoy the process and I shave every day only because my beard doesn't grow fast enough to justify shaving twice a day. If I could justify it I'd shave 2x a day.

You have lots of questions. But begin at the beginning and you'll learn as you go.

First I would inquire as to good beginner razors. Bear in mind there are single edge (SE) and double edge (DE), some use one exclusively, others use both. There are also vintage which are built with the quality of years ago, abut with a (generally) low price tag. They can be sanitized so don't let the "used" razor throw you. Lots of us use vintage razors.

Generally an open comb means it's got a more aggressive geometry. Most DE noob razors have a closed comb. Don't ask why, it's been debated before and no one knows why.

The hardest part for you will be to forget to use pressure when you shave. But you're not alone in that, most coming to traditional blade shaving today have the same hill to climb. But it can be done. "No pressure" means just that, no pressure. Get that down and the rest is easy. You can do it and there are folks here who will help you from afar. We did it, so can you.

Have a fantastic shaving journey! I envy you. So young and looking into the right way to blade shave. I suffered for 40 years.

Good for you!

Edit: I just was down in the S/T forum and I see a noob kit, and another post with noob razors (not named that). There are things I'd suggest adding to the kit, but it's a place to start.

32 6,309
 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM
User Info
Thank you shaving experts for helpful answers!
I just bought PRORASO white line, razors still actual question for me:

1)Why everybody talkin about MUHLE R89/MERKUR 34C/EJ DE89 as a starter razor? Is it neccessary to change the razor when i possibly.. became more skilled? Or what does this opinion mean?
2)Is it possible with safety razor normally to cut 2 week beard? It's approx 0.5cm lenght, if its possible i'll EXTREMLY happy! That solves a lot of problems for me.
3)So, after few days of research I came to clearer picture of my wishes.. It is EDWIN JAGGER DE89 BARLEY(I hope it's good choice), razors will be elected after some experiments(packs).
4)Article: DE89BA11bl, stands for default EJ DE89 BARLEY model, sure? Priced ~40USD i can buy it in my hometown Riga, LV.

Thank You a lot, mates!

0 6
 03-03-2013, 05:07 PM
  • Grumpy
  • DisneyLand
User Info
1) The 89s and the 34Cs ... the gap between the razor blade and the closed comb is not very wide. The wider the gap the more agressive the razor. The razor is more aggressive because since there is a larger gap then, your technique matters more becuase if you use the wrong angle on a 41R ... you will dig the blade into your skin and slice off a little bit of skin.

2) You can cut longer beard growth better with a DE/SE. However, you are using multiple passes and you are going for "reduction". A multi-blade user typically does not go for "reduction" but rather elimination.

Different Tools for Differnt Folks.

3) EJ 89 ... not a bad choice at all.

4) Thanks for the info on what the letters/numbers mean. But, most of us ... I think ... like sharp and shinny things and only in a few cases do we get into the very fine detal as to what the letters/numbers mean.

Welcome to TSN and have fun shaving.

1 819
 03-03-2013, 06:02 PM
  • savagejoerude
  • If you ain't a LOSER, you ain't livin'!!
  • New Orleans USA
User Info
Aside from the advice on your kit, I would suggest you do some research on prep. The whole idea of wet shaving is to hydrate your beard enough to insure your beard is soft and allows the blade to slice the whisker without pulling on it. Also practice making lather before you start. The best lather will have a yogurt consistency. Then there is post skin care. All of these things are important to being succesfull in your endeavor. There are threads on The Shave Nook that will help you. Also feel free to start a new thread with questions. We are here not just for the fellowship but to help new guys. I myself learned how to give myself the best shaves of my 52 year old life by taking and using the best of what I learned here.... Good Luck young man and HAPPY SHAVES !!!

5 1,151
 03-03-2013, 06:55 PM
User Info
(03-03-2013, 03:41 PM)shavingRUS Wrote: Thank you shaving experts for helpful answers!
I just bought PRORASO white line, razors still actual question for me:

1)Why everybody talkin about MUHLE R89/MERKUR 34C/EJ DE89 as a starter razor? Is it neccessary to change the razor when i possibly.. became more skilled? Or what does this opinion mean?
Some folks think, and I'm among them, that a beginner should start with a mild razor to begin. It limits the depth of cuts significantly, and reduces the number of cuts. But it also might not be what you'll want to use after you learn the technique you must have to shave really well. It's like a bicycle with training wheels. Eventually you want them to be removed. (Do you use training wheels on bicycles in Latvia?) But lots of folks stay with their beginner razors because in truth they are just razors and lots of folks just like them and don't require anything different. If you start with a more aggressive razor, especially coming to a blade from cartridges you might see a great deal of blood. A blade doesn't know who wields it; it's made to cut and it will cut anything, whiskers, skin, it doesn't care.

2)Is it possible with safety razor normally to cut 2 week beard? It's approx 0.5cm lenght, if its possible i'll EXTREMLY happy! That solves a lot of problems for me.
Easily, depending on the razor and length of whiskers. Some razors may clog, others can easily handle 2 weeks of growth. Don't be surpirsed though if you want to shave every day. Yeah, I know, I'm nuts. :-)

3)So, after few days of research I came to clearer picture of my wishes.. It is EDWIN JAGGER DE89 BARLEY(I hope it's good choice), razors will be elected after some experiments(packs).
4)Article: DE89BA11bl, stands for default EJ DE89 BARLEY model, sure? Priced ~40USD i can buy it in my hometown Riga, LV.

Thank You a lot, mates!

32 6,309
 03-03-2013, 10:47 PM
  • DaveL
  • Houston, Texas
User Info
The 34c and DE89 razors are both excellant starter razors. If you're interested in OCs the Merkur 1904 is actually very mild.

2 126
 03-04-2013, 12:59 AM
User Info
So, as regards razor I have decide to buy EJ DE89 BARLEY Chrome as I mentioned upstairs (but till tommorow I'm still open for Your offers). And the last thing is.. razors.. Which razor manufacturers are need to be tried? I'm lookin for perfect razor for me, as You already understand.
Thanks for everybody answers, I absord them like a sponge. )

0 6
 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
User Info
So, finally.. after about a week of researching i've bought full set(IMO) for shaving. Btw, first shaving is scheduled at 8th of March!
There is some photos of purchasing process and some photos i've made @ home.
Set:
1)Razor - EDWIN JAGGER DE89BA11-BL=EJ DE89 BARLEY;
2)Blades - DERBY Extra, SOLINGEN Timor(Never seen this blades before, Your opinion?)
3)Brush - OMEGA, yeah.. exactly that one which comes in PRORASO package, not sure about the model, feel free to advice about that;
4)Pre-shave, shaving soap, after-shave - All PRORASO white line. Also, I got old package PRORASO green line tube cream...
Thank everybody for helpful answers, I appreciate!

[Image: uwkxu.jpg]
[Image: 25iw4er.jpg]
[Image: 2iuthmb.jpg]
[Image: bj7rqx.jpg]

0 6
 03-04-2013, 01:10 PM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Proraso line good start!

Go with Derby but better order big sample packSmile

Good luck with shave! remember no pressure and by no pressure I mean no pressure ok?Smile

take it slowSmile

11 861
 03-06-2013, 04:28 PM
User Info
I remember, as regards no pressure rule Smile So.. just bought Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus(5 blade pack) only for 1$. So.. I got a list of 3 blade types.. which one is better to start with? GILLETTE Rubie Platinum Plus/SOLINGEN Timor/DERBY Extra?

0 6
 03-10-2013, 03:09 AM
  • celar36
  • Enjoying Life 1 shave at time
  • London, UK
User Info
Derby Extra -->Timor-->Gillette Smile

11 861