03-03-2013, 05:55 PM
User Info
I had the chance to try this brush for three shaves and these are my initial impressions of it.

This is how the brush first looked when it arrived. The brush was with seven other members before it got to me, so it's seen some use. It appears to have bloomed slightly from when it was new:

[attachment=12867]

The brush is dense, as shown in this picture:

[attachment=12868]

I tend to like medium to large brushes. This brush has a listed loft of 52, which puts it in my medium category. However, its listed diameter of 26 put it in my large category. I thought about what two other brushes I could pull from my rotation for comparison. I don't have any two bands and I excluded my Chubby 2 due to its large diameter. I ended up choosing two of my brushes which have a similar loft, although with a smaller diameter. Those two brushes are the Simpson 58, with listed figures of 50/24, and a Shavemac 167, with listed figures of 52/23:

[attachment=12873]

Here is the density comparison for the three brushes:

[attachment=12874]

I like soft brushes. While I don't want a floppy brush, I'm willing to sacrifice some density and backbone for softness. I'm also willing to sacrifice some density and backbone for good flow and lathering ability. Dense brushes consume more product, take longer to produce plentiful lather, and can at times scrape the lather off your face instead of working it into your beard.

I opted to try the brush with the following three creams - Bigelo(Proraso old formula), Lavanda and Florena:

[attachment=12875]

I never use soaps and usually bowl lather in a Dirty Bird Bill Bowl. Occascionally I face lather but decided to only bowl lather for this test.

After three shaves, I can say the following about the brush:

1. It has an optimal level of backbone for me.

2. I did not detect any scrub, scritch or scratch, none of which I like in a brush.

3. The tips are softer than I expected for a brush with its density and backbone. This for me was the biggest surprise.

4. The brush spread and worked the lather well into my face, instead of tending to scrape it off as some dense brushes tend to do.

5. While not as much of a lather hog as other dense brushes, this brush consumed more product than the Simpson and Shavemac I chose for comparison. This is to be expected given the greater density of the brush.

6. While not as problematic as other dense brushes, flow was not as good as with the Simpson and Shavemac I chose for comparison, and this brush took appreciably longer to work up plentiful lather than the two other brushes. However, this is also to be expected due to the greater density of the brush.

After 3 shaves I was still working with getting the right cream/water ratio. This was my fault and is just a matter of my getting to know the brush. For example, with the Lavanda, I ended up with a this somewhat thin lather, which I had to correct by adding more product:

[attachment=12876]

On cosmetic issues, the base is not flat and it seemed the knot was just slightly crooked. I did not attach any significance to either of these issues because it's a prototype.

I definitely like the shape of the handle and it has good ergonomics. I also like the funky butterscotch, but that color may be better suited to a custom or limited edition brush. For a brush that is going to be mass marketed, this handle would look superb in ivory.

Oveall I would give this brush an excellent rating and appreciate the chance to try it out. It was soft but with density and backbone, which for me has been a challenging combination to find.

37 2,959
 03-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  • TexBilly
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Austin, TX
User Info
Ricardo - wonderful review and one I'm sure will be helpful to many. Enjoy your time with that beautiful brush!

35 2,703
 03-03-2013, 06:03 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Glad you like it! Thank you for the review.

45 3,955
 03-03-2013, 06:09 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of it (and the pics).

I think that the general consensus , for what I been reading . is that the badger hair knot is very good , and the handle is a quality one.

86 7,123
 03-04-2013, 04:05 AM
User Info
Nice review, thank you. It sounds like my kind of not.......... Patiently waiting at sopt # 14. Shy

24 212
 03-04-2013, 04:45 AM
  • ben74
  • Administrator
  • Perth, Australia
User Info
Great review Ricardo.

91 17,850