03-04-2013, 10:23 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
SWMBO tasked me with making "pulled pork sliders" for this evening's dinner.

Recipe given to me to follow (makes 8 servings):
  • 1.5kg (3lb) pork loin roast
  • 500ml (2 cups) onions (thinly sliced)
  • 500ml (2 cups) apples (chopped & peeled) -- made executive decision and decided not to peel.
  • 8 large buns
Sauce:
  • 1 bottle (455ml) chili sauce
  • 75ml (1/3 cup) grainy mustard
  • 75ml (1/3 cup) honey
  • 30ml (2 tbsp) chili powder
  • 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
  • 30ml (2 tbsp) Worcestershire sauce
  • 15ml (1 tbsp) brown sugar
  • 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika (or 10ml / 2 tsp regular paprika)
  • 2 cloves garlic (minced)
Instructions:
  1. Place onions on bottom of slow cooker. Place pork on top. Sprinkle apples over top and down sides.
  2. Sauce -- in a large bowl, mix together chili sauce, mustard, honey, chili powder, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, paprika and garlic. Pour over meat and apples.
  3. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or until meat is fall-apart tender.
  4. Remove roast to large plate. Using 2 forks in opposite directions, shred meat along its length. Stir meat back into sauce and serve on buns.
[Image: E4VgWoH.jpg]

Pork loin roast on a bed on thinly sliced onions, covered with chopped apples

[Image: TKQnTDa.jpg]

Chili based sauce

[Image: D7ZZ62t.jpg]

Chili based sauced poured over pork loin roast, now to cook for 7 hours...

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 03-04-2013, 10:54 AM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
So, what time is dinner? Takes me about 9 hours to drive to St. Louis.

Sounds good to me.

173 23,484
 03-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Salivated on my keyboard, I'll have to eat twice in these 7 hoursBiggrin

(03-04-2013, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: So, what time is dinner? Takes me about 9 hours to drive to St. Louis.

Sounds good to me.

Johnny, pick me up from the airport on the way there Wink

88 4,233
 03-04-2013, 11:03 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-04-2013, 10:54 AM)Johnny Wrote: So, what time is dinner? Takes me about 9 hours to drive to St. Louis.

Hi Johnny

You would be most welcome here anytime Smile

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
  • MaxP
  • Madison, WI
User Info
FWIW, a local butcher helped me understand the benefits of using a pork butt roast instead of the loin.

Since following his advice, the quality of pulled pork sandwich at my house increased four-fold.

Yummy stuff.

MaxP

47 1,377
 03-04-2013, 11:09 AM
  • freddy
  • San Diego, California, U.S.A.
User Info
That looks delicious, Mike. You just know we will want your thoughts on the dinner. (Hmmm, I wonder if I can catch a quick flight to St. Louis this afternoon. Wink)

2 11,211
 03-04-2013, 11:19 AM
User Info
Its remarkable how easy and delicious it can be to make pulled pork. I also got some "liquid smoke" which really added flavor when I made it.

The problem for me is that my kids don't like it and my wife might eat one sandwich or plate. So I end up eating about 3 pounds of pulled pork. Funny enough the same thing happens when I make a pie.

72 1,407
 03-04-2013, 06:27 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Johnny, Steve & Freddy you better hurry up and get here, the pulled pork turned out edible and won't last much longer Biggrin

[Image: ZGYdJq8.jpg]

6½ hours later...

[Image: QL10Kan.jpg]

Pork pulled, then cooked for a further half an hour...

[Image: fULgUER.jpg]

Served on a bun & ready to eat Hambre

23 1,872
 03-04-2013, 06:41 PM
  • Johnny
  • Super Moderator
  • Wausau, Wisconsin, USA
User Info
Looking at those pictures is cruel and unusual punishment. Biggrin

If your local grocer has it, get some Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce. Emmmmm good.

173 23,484
 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
User Info
Damn, my mouth is wattering... and I just had dinner.

2 546
 03-04-2013, 06:47 PM
  • beartrap
  • Resident Цирюльник
  • Southern California
User Info
Oh thank god I just ate! That looks very edible Mike, good job and enjoy!

88 4,233
 03-04-2013, 07:26 PM
  • freddy
User Info
Mike, in a word...YUM! Babeando

2 11,211
 03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-04-2013, 11:09 AM)MaxP Wrote: FWIW, a local butcher helped me understand the benefits of using a pork butt roast instead of the loin.

Since following his advice, the quality of pulled pork sandwich at my house increased four-fold.

Hi Max

(Somewhat educated guess) Is it due to more marbling (higher fat content) in that cut of meat?

We've learnt (via our favourite TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall / River Cottage) that marbling is an important factor in more favourable meat and greatly helps the cooking process -- especially when cooking for long periods...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-05-2013, 07:35 AM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:14 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Max

(Somewhat educated guess) Is it due to more marbling (higher fat content) in that cut of meat?

We've learnt (via our favourite TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall / River Cottage) that marbling is an important factor in more favourable meat and greatly helps the cooking process -- especially when cooking for long periods...

Take care, Mike

Also, the amount of collagen in the meat, which is a protein that is part of the connective tissue. When cooked quickly, i.e. grilled, it stays chewy and practically inedible. This is why pork butt or cow chuck, brisket, or flank is never (or at least hardly ever) used for chops or steak. These primals come from are "working areas" i.e. the shoulders or flanks, the areas that actually do work, whereas the tenderloin and ribs don't do squat so they are naturally tender.

However if collagen is hydrolyzed (i.e. cooking over low and slow moist heat) it transforms into gelatin, which is unctuous and (in my opinion) delicious. That's why stews, braises, or the recipe above, have to take so long. Its also why a stew gets better the longer after it cooks.

Another fun fact: pulled pork was a favorite of early Colonials here because it could sit and cook slowly forever over a low fire and because they had no teeth!

72 1,407
 03-05-2013, 07:38 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:35 AM)jpakstis Wrote: Also, the amount of collagen in the meat, which is a protein that is part of the connective tissue. When cooked quickly, i.e. grilled, it stays chewy and practically inedible. This is why pork butt or cow chuck, brisket, or flank is never (or at least hardly ever) used for chops or steak. These primals come from are "working areas" i.e. the shoulders or flanks, the areas that actually do work, whereas the tenderloin and ribs don't do squat so they are naturally tender.

However if collagen is hydrolyzed (i.e. cooking over low and slow moist heat) it transforms into gelatin, which is unctuous and (in my opinion) delicious. That's why stews, braises, or the recipe above, have to take so long. Its also why a stew gets better the longer after it cooks.

Another fun fact: pulled pork was a favorite of early Colonials here because it could sit and cook slowly forever over a low fire and because they had no teeth!

Hi Josh

Excellent! and very! helpful information Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-05-2013, 07:43 AM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:38 AM)mikeperry Wrote: Hi Josh

Excellent! and very! helpful information Thumbsup

Take care, Mike

You don't know how much I'd love to be a butcher! But alas, I'm stuck with a wife who doesn't eat much and kids who only wanted to eat pre-made meatballs.

I'd love to "buy" a cow and break it down myself (one of my favorite running parts of Top Chef is when they would have to break down of an animal super fast).

72 1,407
 03-05-2013, 07:48 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-05-2013, 07:43 AM)jpakstis Wrote: You don't know how much I'd love to be a butcher! But alas, I'm stuck with a wife who doesn't eat much and kids who only wanted to eat pre-made meatballs.

I'd love to "buy" a cow and break it down myself (one of my favorite running parts of Top Chef is when they would have to break down of an animal super fast).

Hi Josh

If you've not seen "River Cottage Pig in a Day" I highly recommend you do...

Can't believe I found it on YouTube (I'm guessing it can't be there legally)...

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  • slantman
  • Expert Shaver
  • Leesburg, Florida
User Info
OMG Mike my mouth is watering.

100 12,436
 04-16-2013, 09:50 AM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
Not trying to make anyone hungry, promise Tongue

[Image: QUS9w0e.jpg]

Today, second time a charm, Pulled Pork -- chili based sauced poured over pork loin roast, now to cook for 7 hours...

23 1,872
 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
  • freddy
User Info
Mike, you have to stop posting these. My stomach is threatening to move to St. Louis! 24 (Just joking. Please continue to post. Biggrin )

2 11,211