03-04-2013, 02:22 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
First, a BIG! thank you to Teiste for sending me this shaving brushes to try, review.

Second, you can read Teiste's review on this shaving brush (and look at much better photos) HERE...

[Image: eMrwyjC.jpg]

Shavemac Finest Badger (fan knot)

Brush spec's:
  • Overall height 98mm
  • Handle 48mm
  • Loft 50mm
  • Knot 23mm (Finest badger, fan knot)
Before writing this review I used the brush seven consecutive times -- two with "soft" shaving soap, two with "hard" shaving soap and three with shaving creams.

Please keep in mind I only face lather -- painting strokes are my preferred method of building up and applying lather.

I like everything about the handle. It's beautifully made, has very good weight and feels excellent in hand -- very comfortable to hold and use. Overall the handle has a classic, clean looking shape, but thrown into the mix to give it a unique look is a nice double rollover (low down) "waist" detail and a flared "base" detail.

Shavemac Finest badger hair is excellent stuff, the biggest eye opener, nicest surprise about this brush (for me).

Hairs have 3 distinct bands, are individually fine (with excellent flex), the tips are a lovely creamy white and have a nice soft feel to them. From my limited experience I would say Shavemac Finest badger hair is the closes I've seen (to date) to Simpsons Best badger, it really is very! good badger hair.

While the knot is not lacking in hair density, it's not as densely packed as an (equivalent) Simpsons Best badger knot.

Not surprisingly the knot doesn't have a tonne of backbone, but it does have enough to tackle "hard" shaving soaps without any problem.

Where the knot really shines is:
  • Flow through, lather is built up and released easily, no fighting with the knot here.
  • Overall feel on the face is very! nice.
  • When painting strokes are employed there is zero scratch or scritch, just lovely soft tips dancing across the skin.
  • When circular motions are adopted there is the tiniest amount of scritch coming through and I mean tiny. For all intents and purposes one could argue it's not even there...
Just a gut-feeling I have, I think I might prefer the fan knot (23mm Finest badger) just that little bit more if the loft height was reduced to 48mm (instead of 50mm). I believe the "slightly" lower loft height would improve the backbone a touch, while still keeping everything I like about the knot intact.

[Image: lP0aJf8.jpg]

[Image: cS42wKx.jpg]

Q. Would I recommend, buy, this shaving brush?

A. Yes to both (with a 48mm loft height if I went with a fan knot).

Q. Will I buy this shaving brush?

A. No, only because I enjoy being married, have limited funds to spend on shaving brushes and there's already a number of shaving brushes on my "Wish List" which I've whittled down to "must have" (in a first world problem kind of way). That said, I really was very! impressed with Shavemac's Finest badger hair and will order a knot made from that badger hair in the near future...

Edit: Fixed grammar.

23 1,872
 03-04-2013, 02:56 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Have I ever told you how much I truly enjoy your reviews , Mike? Yes , you are capable to express things that I cannot express as well as you do.

This is a really good brush , excellent brush for its money I can honestly say and Im glad that Bernd made one for me. I knew it was going to be good , since I consider shavemac's finest badger as good as their silvertip but with better backbone.

Notice that these fan shaped finest badger brushes are not in the shavemac's catalog and I don't think they will be in the near future.I have received a couple pm's asking me about it (how to get one) and I can only answer "special group buy"? You gents will say.

86 7,124
 03-04-2013, 03:17 PM
  • tgutc
  • Michigan
User Info
Very nice review. Thank you for sharing.

45 3,955
 03-04-2013, 03:43 PM
User Info
Now see you did it again Blush ....... Tongue

Mike and Teiste - you are enablers of the worst kind possible Cool

Do I really need another brush, when I still have 20+ brushes standing in line that I still have yet to use for their maiden shave, hell NO!, but you guys made me do it.

I ordered this for €84 including shipping and tax/vat shipped to Denmark:

Shaving Brush EXPERTS SELECT
Shipping time: 1 Week
Shape:142
Color:Brown Black
Quality and Size:24 mm Finest Badger
Hair length ( Loft):46 mm
Knot Shape:Fan Shape
Shavemac logo:Logo on outside
Comment: Hello Bernd, this is my 14.th Shavemac brush. Teiste made me do it, order yet another one ;-)

I really enjoy the faux ivory handle, but since I already own a good deal of classic colored faux ivory I went for the best looking Shavemac color combo to my eyes, a color combo Bernd should make the trademark of the Shavemac brushes - the brown-black color combo Cool

Simpson has the classic faux ivory as their trademark, Thäter has the plexiglas octagonal shaped handle, Rooney the faux ivory with the two rings on the stomach - Shavemac should make the brown-black their trademark IMHO

I like solid backbone in my brushes, hopefully I did not go too low - time will tell Smile

22 5,070
 03-04-2013, 03:53 PM
User Info
I think the Shavemac Finest is the most overlooked hair quality!! I think it is better than Simpson's Best, more consistent then Best. The mix of hair is the very soft silvertip of Shavemac with highest quality pure to give the knot backbone. Great stuff!

0 163
 03-04-2013, 04:32 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
(03-04-2013, 03:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Now see you did it again Blush ....... Tongue

Do I really need another brush, when I still have 20+ brushes standing in line that I still have yet to use for their maiden shave, hell NO!, but you guys made me do it.

Comment: Hello Bernd, this is my 14.th Shavemac brush. Teiste made me do it, order yet another one ;-)

I really enjoy the faux ivory handle, but since I already own a good deal of classic colored faux ivory I went for the best looking Shavemac color combo to my eyes, a color combo Bernd should make the trademark of the Shavemac brushes - the brown-black color combo Cool

Simpson has the classic faux ivory as their trademark, Thäter has the plexiglas octagonal shaped handle, Rooney the faux ivory with the two rings on the stomach - Shavemac should make the brown-black their trademark IMHO

I like solid backbone in my brushes, hopefully I did not go too low - time will tell Smile

Claus , I truly WANT TO SEE pics of that brush once you get it , my friend.Something is telling me is going to surprised you beyond your expectations...

But , did you request it with a fan shaped ?

86 7,124
 03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
User Info
(03-04-2013, 04:32 PM)Teiste Wrote:
(03-04-2013, 03:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: Now see you did it again Blush ....... Tongue

Claus , I truly WANT TO SEE pics of that brush once you get it , my friend.Something is telling me is going to surprised you beyond your expectations...

But , did you request it with a fan shaped ?

I sure did T:

22 5,070
 03-04-2013, 05:58 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
I need to wear glasses , or learn to put more attentio to what I read , since I did read it twice and I even asked you FacepalmFacepalm

Ok , looking forward to see that brush of yours , Claus.

86 7,124
 03-04-2013, 06:49 PM
  • mikeperry
  • St Louis via the UK
User Info
(03-04-2013, 03:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I like solid backbone in my brushes, hopefully I did not go too low - time will tell Smile

Hi Claus

With a 24mm knot and loft height of 46mm the brush should exhibit (very) good backbone -- for a knot made from high quality 3-Band badger hair.

Will it be solid enough for you? Only time will tell...

I look forward to seeing the brush and hearing your impressions of it.

Take care, Mike

Hi Rudy

(03-04-2013, 03:53 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: I think the Shavemac Finest is the most overlooked hair quality!!

Now that I've experienced it first-hand I think I'd have to agree with that statement.

(03-04-2013, 03:53 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: I think it is better than Simpson's Best, more consistent then Best.

If the Finest badger hair in the Shavemac I got to try is of that quality all the time then I would have to agree with "more consistent then Best" -- though sometimes Simpsons Best can be unbelievably good (IMHO).

(03-04-2013, 03:53 PM)Rudy Vey Wrote: The mix of hair is the very soft silvertip of Shavemac with highest quality pure to give the knot backbone. Great stuff!

Agree! it really is "great stuff!".

Take care, Mike

23 1,872
 03-05-2013, 12:07 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(03-04-2013, 03:43 PM)CHSeifert Wrote: I like solid backbone in my brushes, hopefully I did not go too low - time will tell Smile

I bet you'll like it! I have a fan-shaped shavemac in Finest, 173 black handle, 22/44 mm and that is my favourite brush. Loved it so much that I decided to order another fan-shaped shavemac of this kind, this time in D01, 173 black-brown handle and 19/40 mm.

Both are absolutely phantastic brushes!

Found another pic of the Finest. Incredible good hair for a very fair price! Imho "Finest" is shavemac's best offer.

Attached Files Image(s)

0 229
 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
Elbe , when did you order that finest fan shaped brush ? Looks excellent...

86 7,124
 03-05-2013, 11:00 PM
User Info
(03-05-2013, 12:07 AM)Elbe Wrote:

I bet you'll like it! I have a fan-shaped shavemac in Finest, 173 black handle, 22/44 mm and that is my favourite brush. Loved it so much that I decided to order another fan-shaped shavemac of this kind, this time in D01, 173 black-brown handle and 19/40 mm.

Both are absolutely phantastic brushes!

Found another pic of the Finest. Incredible good hair for a very fair price! Imho "Finest" is shavemac's best offer.

Fine looking pair of brushes you got there, Elbe Smile

22 5,070
 03-06-2013, 02:30 AM
  • Elbe
  • Wolfsburg, Germany
User Info
(03-05-2013, 08:48 PM)Teiste Wrote: Elbe , when did you order that finest fan shaped brush ? Looks excellent...

It's a recent production, October 2012. The D01 brother is February 2013.
Don't know, if I had extraordinary luck with my Finest, but it is absolutely great. White caps and soft tips like a silvertip, but springy and good backbone. Scrubby, but not scratchy at all. Perfect!

0 229
 03-06-2013, 07:24 AM
  • Teiste
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • Salt Lake City,UT
User Info
It truly looks a fantastic brush , Elbe.

86 7,124
 03-12-2013, 12:02 AM
User Info
Just received my Shavemac 142 Finest custom yesterday.

It's a beauty to say the least Cool

Will make a separate thread and show some decent pics with it and along with 2-3 of my other brown-black brushes Smile

Only minute detail that detract this brush from getting a 10/10 in looks is that the knot maker forgot to cut 2-3 hairs in the knot to same symmetrical length as the other hairs, so they stick out by 1-2 mm, so I have to rate it 'only' 9.75/10 Tongue

Need to test it for actual performance first, before I can rate it - but based on my experience with the finest grade hair and the fact that I own 14 Shavemac knot brushes (2 of these are Rudy Vey's) and my overall brush collection, I would have to guess this is among the best 'bang for your buck' face lather brushes ever made.

I paid €85 including shipping to me in Denmark via FedEx.
It took 5-6 days total from ordering it online to receiving it.
This is the second cheapest brush I have ever bought in my life, and based on that my expectations should be low, but my stomach tells me this brush will outperform all my $1500 Thäter brushes combined together Number_one

I may be wrong, lets see.....in a weeks time......or two Wink

22 5,070
 03-12-2013, 06:05 AM
  • oscar11
  • North Dakota
User Info
With some advice given by some of the members here I bought a Shavemac finest knot. It was good advice, it's a great knot.
I'll be picking up a 3 band DO1 next and put it in a butterscotch & black handle.

12 743